• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting .040, .063 and .080 aluminum sheets after they have been UV printed

jdwilliams1

Hello, would like some expert advice. We have 3 flatbed printing machines ans i am considering getting a cnc machine to cut out signs after they have been printed on a 4x8 sheet of aluminum.

My questions are

1. Can the sign shapes be cut with smooth edges on the aluminum
2. Can they be cut without damaging the UV print
3. What type of machine would you recommend for this... I am eyeballing the AXYZ machine but would like opinions of the experts on here
4. Does what I want to do seem [possible. Our signs are getting more and more cuistom and I would like to be able to cut the custom shapes myself

Thanks a bunch in advance and look forward to hearing from some of you.

Biker Scout

Look into flatbed cutters, like Zund, Kongsberg, Summa, Mimaki, Graphtec, MultiCam etc... there are many machines out there now that have multi heads, and operate in synch with shops such as yours with the flatbed UV printers.

I would say that Zund, Kongsberg and Summa are my top 3 stand-outs to make my short list. They all cut aluminum really well. (It's really about the bit and feed rate, but the nicer machines dial that in for you automatically)

jdwilliams1

Look into flatbed cutters, like Zund, Kongsberg, Summa, Mimaki, Graphtec, MultiCam etc... there are many machines out there now that have multi heads, and operate in synch with shops such as yours with the flatbed UV printers.

I would say that Zund, Kongsberg and Summa are my top 3 stand-outs to make my short list. They all cut aluminum really well. (It's really about the bit and feed rate, but the nicer machines dial that in for you automatically)

Thanks Biker, so in your opinion can i cut a full 4x8 sheet of aluminum in .040 and .063 with smooth edges and no burrs? Also, how does the material stay down on the surface?

CES020

i cut a full 4x8 sheet of aluminum in .040 and .063 with smooth edges and no burrs? Also, how does the material stay down on the surface?

I seriously doubt that's a realistic expectation. As a machinist by trade, I can't say I've ever seen burr free cutting with a end mill (router bit). If you did get it to be nearly burr free, within a really short period of time, you'd have some burr appearing as the tool wears.

Maybe someone has a super tool that does it that I'm not aware of, but I've never heard of or seen it.

rubo

another option is have the pieces cut before printing on a waterjet - the edges will be as smooth as butter - never tried to cut printed piece but it's worth trying.

nwsigns

Yes it can be done and we have done it but I hate doing it because there are so many things that can go wrong. Its not a smart choice for production runs or a long term solution. If you start with a sharp (like new) bit and have it dialed in right your going to get a nice smooth cut with some heat but not too bad. Using an air cooler will help eliminate chips and keep down the heat. The heat can discolor your print if it gets too hot but by that time you will see an edge that will require deburing. A harder aluminum grade would be my choice which will help eliminate the bit from gumming up and then you have a ruined piece for sure.

synergy_jim

Hello, would like some expert advice. We have 3 flatbed printing machines ans i am considering getting a cnc machine to cut out signs after they have been printed on a 4x8 sheet of aluminum.

My questions are

1. Can the sign shapes be cut with smooth edges on the aluminum - yes and no... most sign grade aluminum is very soft. Soft aluminum = very hard to cut ( gums up the bits ) We started selling everyone on ACM (dibond, alubond etc) because with the right bit, it cuts 100% burr free and is hassle free.

2. Can they be cut without damaging the UV print. Again, this all boiled down to ink set in the UV printer and the bit selection. Yes we print full bleed on ACM and do not had adhesion problems on the cut edge

3. What type of machine would you recommend for this... I am eyeballing the AXYZ machine but would like opinions of the experts on here. We use a multi cam 1000 series with 8 tool changer and 5x10 table. Its a work horse and very reliable.

its doable, and if you really want a headache, you can cut the sign grade aluminum sheets, but why deal with the hassle. Use and ACM panel and call it a day.

cashflow1953

Cut aluminum all day long

I have a wart hog Cnc
i use a 1/8" end mill sing up cut vacuumed table
i setup speed at 11 inches a minute and 22,000 rpm
cut up to .050 1 pass
with or with out cooling (plain water) but always air on cuter
hope this helps
karl

Typestries

Most painted aluminum is 3003 alloy, which prints well BUT is a real pain to rout. Most mill finish is 5052 which routs beautifully, but needs a white base to print well. Trade off.

Have your aluminum pre-sheared then print. Way easier! Time is money, reduced aggravation is priceless.

Dice

I have this same issue right now. It is possible to do .040 Multi pass on a Zund or an Esko, but these are baby routers with the 1kilo router. Using 55k RPM on their special metal bits works well, burr free if your mats and bits are in perfect shape. Its a slow process.

Zunds and Eskos are just not designed to route. I think they like to say, "Light" routing.

We are looking at a multicam for dedicated router work.