• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting .125 aluminum?

TXFB.INS

Howdy,

the shop we outsource our metal cutting to has shut down and are not selling their equipment.
So now we are trying to find a way to cut the materials in house, as the next shop with cutting capabilities is over 60 miles away.

as it stands right now the thickness material is .125 mill finish aluminum, straight lines with radius corners.

What is suggested for cutting this thickness? stomp break, cnc, plasma cutter, saws, etc...
will our panel saw or table saw work? What about a track saw, those appear to be very durable.

Is there a corner radius cutter strong enough to cut .125 thickness? the thickest material listed is .080

thanks for any feedback / suggestions.

Techman

For smaller pieces I use a good old miter saw. Make sure your blade is a miter saw blade. It has a slight reverse rake so ti will not dig in.

d fleming

ebay, craigslist, newspaper, etc. Find a good used stomp shear . I use mine all the time. Radius corners can be done with a stomp corner rounder. Just like the table top varieties you can get different dies for different sizes.

Techman

I got one of these in my shop

16 gauge is a long way from 1/8 inch thick.

16 gauge is about 1/16 thick,, that is .0625.
A stomp sheer will have a very difficult time cutting .125 / 1/8 in thick metal of any kind

Ditchmiester

16 gauge is a long way from 1/8 inch thick.

16 gauge is about 1/16 thick,, that is .0625.
A stomp sheer will have a very difficult time cutting .125 / 1/8 in thick metal of any kind

Isn't that rated for 16 guage steel? should be able to cut 1/8" aluminum I would think.

Mosh

I can cut .080 on my shear but nothing thicker. How often are you cutting that thick? I would guess it is plasma cut, especially if the corners are a radius.

TXFB.INS

Thanks for the input.

yes the material were previously cut on a 5x10 plasma table.

I would love to get a CNC machine, or any of the table cutting systems, but the shop is currently not big enough and then there is the $$$

@techman, will try this and see what happens, the issue currently is get the 48x96 cut down as the supplier claims they do not have the means to cut this thickness

@ Z Signs, what HP is your saw and what blade do you use?

Billct2

I'd look around for a supplier who will cut them for you,
And use a panel saw or table saw w/jig saw to do the corners on the of ones you have to do inhouse

TXFB.INS

I'd look around for a supplier who will cut them for you,
And use a panel saw or table saw w/jig saw to do the corners on the of ones you have to do inhouse

there are only 2 that deliver to us, freight is a ()*&%*&^% from the other suppliers already looked at that option.

one claims can't cut that thick and the other one, has a GRADE A PRICK for our area salesman and we would just assume chew the metal apart then do sales with PRICK MAJOR