• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Acrylic

ams

I have 1/8" Acrylic and need to know the best way to cut it without breaking it.

At first I thought a skill saw, but I believe that will knock chunks out, and also have a jig saw but not sure about that one either.

What do you use?

J Hill Designs

score and snap works well on 1/8" as long as cuts are straight....jig saw with correct blade works well, but you will prob need to debur it afterward...table saw w/correct blade works, as does a router table

surf city

Jig saw, table saw or a scroll saw if you are trying to cut out shapes but with any of them the blade is the key to a good cut. The router table is also a good choice.

showcase 66

We always used a circular saw with the blade in backwards for 1/4" and for 1/8" we would just score and snap. When I worked for a glass company we had a sheer type machine that heated the end of the sheer part and it would cut right threw like butter. Wish I had that around sometimes.

ams

Both blades on the skill saw and jig saw are width and thick, so thinking that wouldn't work as they are wood/metal blades.

So I guess scoring would work. I have a big blue ruler that is 8 foot long, so I have a good straight edge to use.

Thanks everyone.

Letterbox Mike

For thin stuff just score and snap. You can actually get utility knife blades for this purpose. Essentially they're regular utility blades except they aren't sharpened, just a dull square edge. They work pretty well. Just make sure when you score it you score it deep enough, at least 1/3 of the thickness, otherwise you might get an uneven break.

For thicker stuff, anymore we just have it laser-cut, easier and much cleaner.