• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Aluminum

OldPaint

HOW THICK?
.024 to .040 can be cut with a razor knife.
.050- .080 jigsaw with a metal blade, of a cirular saw with a metal blade.
OR......you can pay to have it cut at a metal shop with a shear.

Hicalibersigns

Thicker materials cut nicely on a table saw with a carbide blade and a zero clearance insert. I have cut up to 1/4" materials this way with good success. Take it slow and easy. WEAR EYE PROTECTION! It will throw chips.

artbot

for a small shop, get a decent used shear for lots of short cutting (52" or less) for $600. if you do a lot of short and long cuts. get a track saw with a decent carbide triple chip for the same $600 (plus it will cut anything from acrylic to veneer to plywood too). since i got my track saw i often don't use the shear for even the short side cuts. the track saw is just far more accurate.

MikePro

my shear's 12'. no big deal :)
that dewalt tracksaw looks pretty slick tho'. its next on my wishlist after a cordless sawzall... getting sick of loading a generator onto my pickup everytime I gotta go chop down a pole in a parking lot.

phototec

I had never heard of a track saw, then last December I volunteered to work on the Extreme Makeover Home Edition project in Salado TX, for Patrick & Jessica Zeigler, a soldier that was wounded by the Ft. Hood killer, in November 5th of 2009.

I worked in the "Art World" tent making custom furniture for Patrick's new house, the TV show's production company furnishes all the power tools for the project, they had a Bosch track saw, and we used it almost as much as the table saw, for roughing out all the smaller pieces to be cut out of the 4x8 furniture grade plywood sheets.

And what surprised me the most was the very smooth cuts, no fraying of the edge that you typically get when cutting plywood from the top. I was very impressed with the track saw, and as soon as I got home late that first night, I did some research on the Internet and was shocked to see the $800 price tag, a little out of my budget.

Doing more research I found a more affordable alternative track saw, a conversion using your own saw, it's called The EZ Smart System and is priced to match my budget.

See The EZ Smart System is review here: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/ezsmart.htm

artbot

after getting the festool ts75, i'm almost wishing i went with the dewalt for one reason only. ...blades. the festool has an odd arbor size that limits your blade choices. it's the best saw technically but you end up using the extremely expensive festool blades, or super cheap knock offs. also only get the ts75 if you cut extremely deep and heavy material (which i do). it is a massive saw. ...way too big for basic plywood etc.

Mainframe

I have been using the EZ smart system for years, can't beat the price, and once you get the hang of it, super easy to use. I cut through 4 stacked .040 sheets at once, last night, no problem.

I can't imagine running a shop without it, super accurate.

MikeD

a plasma cutter can make contour cuts in aluminum or you can drag it in a straight line too.
one of my personal favorites

Billct2

Like has been said, it depends on the size & thickness of the aluminum.
A shear is great, but only good for aluminum. We use our panel saw for cutting
most sheets of anything including aluminum.

petepaz

Like has been said, it depends on the size & thickness of the aluminum.
A shear is great, but only good for aluminum. We use our panel saw for cutting
most sheets of anything including aluminum.

+1
we also have a band saw that we use as well

phototec

I have been using the EZ smart system for years, can't beat the price, and once you get the hang of it, super easy to use. I cut through 4 stacked .040 sheets at once, last night, no problem.

I can't imagine running a shop without it, super accurate.

Do you remember where you purchased your EZ smart system, cost?

What size do you have?

:thankyou:

Sign-Man Signs

I had never heard of a track saw, then last December I volunteered to work on the Extreme Makeover Home Edition project in Salado TX, for Patrick & Jessica Zeigler, a soldier that was wounded by the Ft. Hood killer, in November 5th of 2009.

I worked in the "Art World" tent making custom furniture for Patrick's new house, the TV show's production company furnishes all the power tools for the project, they had a Bosch track saw, and we used it almost as much as the table saw, for roughing out all the smaller pieces to be cut out of the 4x8 furniture grade plywood sheets.

And what surprised me the most was the very smooth cuts, no fraying of the edge that you typically get when cutting plywood from the top. I was very impressed with the track saw, and as soon as I got home late that first night, I did some research on the Internet and was shocked to see the $800 price tag, a little out of my budget.

Doing more research I found a more affordable alternative track saw, a conversion using your own saw, it's called The EZ Smart System and is priced to match my budget.

See The EZ Smart System is review here: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/ezsmart.htm

I have a 8' EZ Smart System. After using it, I sold my panel saw. Cuts true straight lines every time and leaves a smooth edge. Well worth the investment. I use a Diablo 60 tooth, feriuos metal blade and cut everything with it. Great product.
:goodpost:

thewood

A shear is great, but only good for aluminum. We use our panel saw for cutting most sheets of anything including aluminum.

The stomp shear is my go-to tool for cutting aluminum. We also use our shear to cut a variety of other substrates including rigid pvc and corrugated plastic.

After years of cutting and shaping aluminum composite sign materials (such as DiBond and PolyMetal) using other tools and methods with so-so results, I recently broke down and ordered a couple of Amana's 'O' Flute Spiral router bits. Fantastic investment. They cut through the stuff like it's hot butter with the ability to cut intricate shapes in no time. For doing straight cuts, a large shear would definitely mean a tiny bit less material waste, but in my shop a straight-edge, router, and one of these bits produces cuts smooth enough to slide your finger over. I don't even use oil, water jet, etc. Just fire the router up to full speed and away we go. Bits are holding an edge like no other bit I've ever owned.