• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting an open end circle in 7.6v2

Lindsay

I can do this in an old version 5 of flexi but not in 7.6.

In the past in version 5 I've needed to cut a circle larger than the plotter
can do. As it's only larger by a tiny amount I've made up a metal template
to hand cut the missing part. That's worked out fine as version 5 leaves
the cut circle with the ends open and doesn't join them. Just have to make
sure to turn the weed border off.

In 7.6v2 when the circle is cut it cuts between the ends of the circle so
you end up with a circle with a flat. Tried turning every option I can find
off including stopping it cutting the small part of the circle (panel) I don't
need, but it still cuts between the circle ends.

Does anyone have a solution to get around this?

Does the same happen in 8.00 or 8.5?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I never had a program that would close off the ends of an open letter. You can either make a cut with a knife or put pressure on the point as you're weeding and tear it off. It is always nice to have some registration marks to line the 2 pieces up with.

I'm not familiar with that program but this will get this tread a bump.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Draw circle. Use brazier tool and outline to open end. Optimize by smooth arc tool.

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 73
  • screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 65

Phatman

If I understand correctly, what I do is if I want to cut a 23" circle on my 24" plotter I will set the page width at say 30"...no weeding boarder...

The plotter then cuts the circle leaving the two ends not connected and I finish the cut by hand.

Hope this helps.

mb

iSign

"Cut page crossings" sounds like the "right way" to solve this... but I always try to come up with workarounds when I need to get instant solutions, and save reading the help menus or asking my signs101 buds for later... so this is the workaround i would do... just make a bigger "open ended circle" and join the two into a closed contour that fit's you plotters maximum cut area. This won't be seen as a non fitting image (or a "page crossing" so the software wouldn't add any cuts & your vinyl would remain uncut.

Thanks to Sign to Go, my solution is irrelevant, but I'll post it anyway as a way to trick our machines by looking for what's bugging them, and removing it from the equation.
(My black line represents the only file sent to the plotter. The light blue is the resulting circle after finishing the cut by hand)

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 67
It sounds like your production manager is tiling your image. Make sure the material width setting in production manager is wide enough to cut the circle and it is set to only one panel. When the cutter is cutting and runs out of material it will stop move to where the circle comes back in and continue the cut. This should give you the results you are looking for.

Lindsay

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I'll try them all.

I was trying to avoid recreating open end circles to use if possible but may have to go that way.

Not having "cut page crossings" selected does look like the solution but for me anyway it doesn't seem to make any difference. Still cuts the same. I think that should have solved this problem looking at the user guide. Don't know if its a hardware or software issue that stopping that working.

Sign-Man Signs. Can't find that brazier tool. Where's that located?