• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Banners

p3

Are there any tips or advice or a how to on cutting banners straight? If a customer doesn't want a banner hemmed, just cut and grommeted how do you go about that?

drive

Just that, cut it and grommet. Are you printing the banners or cutting vinyl to put on them?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Use a straight edge and a sharp knife. No hem, whatsoever ??

I don't think I would do that, no matter what the customer wants. That'll look pretty crappy, if you ask me. At least hem it with banner tape and make it look finished. Otherwise, people passing by will never know your customer asked for you to purposely do a sh!tty job and you'll look like a schmuck.

sfr table hockey

If you are wondering how to cut straight and measure to get straight cuts then this is what I do.

When I set up my banner files I have a standard template made for several sizes. 2 x 4, 3 x 8, 4 x 8 etc. On these templates I have the grommet holes printed as to where they will go and a dash every couple feet around the boarder area (just a dash not a full boarder line). To print the entire boarder line around the whole banner takes up more time for the printer if there are areas of the banner that have nothing else to print.

Example would be if you had a 4 x 8 banner that had one word in the middle but you had a boarder line all around the banner it would take a long time to print out due to the boarder. With a dash or small line it only prints that every couple feet.

Once its printed then you can cut out and grommet without measuring. Depending on the material you use you may need to reinforce the grommet areas if you don't have a fold over hem.

If you ever need to get rid of a boarder line that happens to show after cutting you can always use a bit of cleaning fluid and wipe it off. Be carefull to not get any on any other printed area because it will take it all off.

Tim Aucoin

Use a straight edge and a sharp knife. No hem, whatsoever ??

I don't think I would do that, no matter what the customer wants. That'll look pretty crappy, if you ask me. At least hem it with banner tape and make it look finished. Otherwise, people passing by will never know your customer asked for you to purposely do a sh!tty job and you'll look like a schmuck.

A HUGE +1
I always quote assuming a taped hem... I don't even make it an option! It's your reputation on the line when the un-hemmed banner starts tearing, curling and looking like crap and people ask your customer; "where did you get that done?". :covereyes: Not worth the risk!

p3

I agree. For my personal stuff I would never let it go unhemmed. The banners they have now are not hemmed and look super cheap. They are only used for like 1 time events or rc races they sponsor so they want to keep the cost down as much as possible. some aren't even hung up, they are laid out on the track on the backsides of jumps and things like that.

rfulford

If they want cheap, I say stroke the banner with a 1-4pt black outline. Use whatever shows up well on your printer. Trim off the outline with a pair of scissors. Voila! Cheap banner. Before you laugh, let me say that I can cut straighter with a pair of scissors than some people in my shop with a straight edge and a knife.

gabagoo

the problem with scrim banner is that without hemming sooner or later you will get fraying in spots.

jiarby

I have layered corel template files that I use for making banners.
Layers:
Grommets (for customer proof, does not print)
Grommet Dots (printed small dots that show where grommies go. No measuring!)
Stitching (for customer proof, does not print)
Hemline (where we fold to do the hem. Also is thhe finished dimension)
HemBleed (1" outside contour of Hemline... contains b/g color or image full bleed)
HemMask (a mask that obscures the area between the HemBleed & the Hemline. Used to take a screenshot to proof the banner so WYSISYG) Does not print
DimensionText (displays dimensional information for customer proof. Does not print)

These all go in Master Layers, then content goes in regular layers. Over the years I have accumulated practically every size so now it is easy. Just "open new file from template" then select the size banner I need, and plugin the content. Grommets are already laid out, stitching is there.. When it is proofing time I turn on the grommets, stitching, and hem mask layers and take a screen shot. When it is printing time I turn them off and turn on the grommet dots (they are smaller (.25), and color depends on b/g layer for contrast)

So, to answer your question... I would just use a straight edge ruler and a box knife to cut along one of my printed lines.

Not a printed banner? Then you have to use a ruler to mark your measurements, then draw a line with a blue stabilo pencil (or a white one if a colored banner)... then cut as described.

Example.. for a 20" banner coming off a 24" roll.. You mark 4" in from one edge. Then slide down to the other end and mark another 4" spot. Then use your straight edge ruler (we have a 28" one and a 52" one) to draw a line connecting those two points. You can also use a carpenters square (sheet rock square) to make the 90° lines. The stabilo lines just wipe off.

Attachments

• printtemplate.jpg
    printtemplate.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 190
  • template-customer.jpg
    template-customer.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 158
  • objmgr.jpg
    objmgr.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 182

p3

Ya, I am printing the banners on 48" material but the sizes are 3x8 on the banners i'm doing. I thought about trying the scissor idea, but I can't cut straight to save my life. I was just wondering if anyone had some sort of clamp off the edge of a desk/table/bench, to hang the banner off, then just slide a blade down the edge making a straight cut or if there were any ways about doing it. I could see the material fraying rather quickly. I want to at least do one or 2 the way they want, then they can compare them to ones I have already done that are hemmed and nice. But I don't want to make it look like a total hack even though it kind of is. lol.:thankyou:

jiarby

haven't you got a straight edge, a table, and a stanley (or Olfa) blade knife?

I can't imagine someone with a printer that can't trim a print... just print the line and cut just inside it. What's the problem? No table, No straight edge ruler? You HAVE to have a knife!

At some point you just have to be good at what you do. Having a good eye and a steady hand is a valuable thing.

jiarby

wow@! thats alotta money for a blade holder & a straight edge! Are those aussie dollars half as much or something?

Bly

Down here time is money.

The Javelin cuts straighter and quicker than I can do with a ruler and knife.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
ABP had the best low cost item IMO. The TSquare is a contruction item for cutting drywall, marking sheetgoods etc.. Commonly they have a 4' long edge and a 2" "T" that will allow you to easily make a square cut using a knife. If you spring a couple extra dollars you can even get one with an adjustable "T" that has preset angles built in, 22.5, 45 etc.. You can remove the "T" and use it as a 4" straightedge if you need to as well. We're talking $20.00 for a nice one.

Go to maybe Lowes website and search "drywall square".

Good luck.

Edserv

As mentioned earlier in this post, a template is the way to go for every banner size you can imagine. We built a "library" of banner sizes and place grommet marks at every 24 inch interval as well as a nice dark/black border to guide with seeming or cutting. If you've been in the sign business for a while, than I'm guessing you can "free-hand" cut along a template line fairly quickly and easily. It's only when our template isn't there (for some reason) that we start losing time using a straight edge or worse.
Make sure you were nerd safety goggles and use a sharp knife.:)

Good luck!

parrott

Are we really to the point where we have to ask how to cut a straight line? Not trying to bash the original poster, but good Lord! You print a cut line around the banner, trim it with a ruler/straight edge and grommet it. We have printed these by the thousands for short term indoor banners. No need to hem, that only adds costs.

Rooster

I've done tons of unhemmed banners. As long as there's no heavy coverage that cause the vinyl to curl or you're using a vinyl that lays flat I think they look better than a taped hem that tends to pucker when rolled up.

In a lot of cases The customer doesn't even want grommets so I'll just pre-apply some banner hem tape to the backside that they can use to stick it to the wall with. I offer a lot of customers a smooth finish banner vinyl in place of paper for presentation materials. They prefer something that doesn't kink as bad as paper does when they're traveling and using the poster repeatedly. It just holds up to moderate abuse better than anything else.