• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Excess Vinyl Off Banner

HulkSmash

Dude? Lilr? Buddys? Your command of the language is whelming.

It would seem that reading for comprehension is as lacking as your expository skills. The words were "Worthless unless..." the 'unless' is a qualifier and the phrase that follows that qualifier is a dependent clause. Hardly extreme, merely accurate.

Perhaps you were off in the boys room indulging in a spot of self-abuse when this principle of the language was explained.

Bob you always have something to prove. You never make sense. And you never have a point. Were you dropped on your head every day of your life? Your always trying insult someone on their intelligence. Just because everyone doesn't write a dictionary response doesn't mean they're clueless on the subject matter. As to your response to the ruler. Sounds like your the one with the problem. Get an even table? Jeez you can now go back to websters

jmb474

We have 6 of those rulers in various sizes and we have never had a problem trimming banners or cutting out our digital prints. We do keep around a long 2" ruler for ease of showing our finishers where the hem line is but that's all that ruler gets used for.

S'N'S

Only problem with aluminium rulers is that each time you cut something, the blade can shave a small amount off the cutting edge. I have just replaced all mine, as they all had a curve inwards.
Get the Drytac or any brand WITH the steel inserted edge.

Flame

Dude? Lil? Buddys? Your command of the language is whelming.

It would seem that reading for comprehension is as lacking as your expository skills. The words were "Worthless unless..." the 'unless' is a qualifier and the phrase that follows that qualifier is a dependent clause. Hardly extreme, merely accurate.

Perhaps you were off in the boys room indulging in a spot of self-abuse when this principle of the language was explained.

O my.... I think my feelings just got hurt. Sigh. Bob doesn't like my forum slang, oh what AM I to do?

:popcorn:

Pat Whatley

Bob's criticism aside he made an excellent suggestion about the drywall straight edges. I've got them in 6' and 8' lengths and use them constantly. They're about 1/4 the price of the safety ruler.

JoshLoring

Foo-
I prep all banners in ai or psd. For this quickie I'll use photoshop. Create your banner at full size. Let's say 3'x5' for average sakes. Once your design is done save it layered. Now... Flatten it > Adjust the canvas size to add 1" to each side (2" relatively) and assure background is white. > Now your canvas has a perfect 1" border around it > create a new layer > fill it with white > create a blending option for that new layer with inside stroke of 1px black and layer fill 0 > now you have a thin black line inside that 1" we created around the outside and the white fill is off so your art shows up> flatten the image > save and print. Now- you have a nice guide to cut the banner with your big ruler and blade (cut on nice 1px black line). BUT- even better, a guide that's the same thickness as your 1" banner tape (or sew area). Flip the banner over > run your 1" hem tape at the edge > remove banner tape backing > and fold over until you can just see the color of the banner. Look, a perfect 1" fold over and all hemmed up. Turn and repeat :)

Woo. If I messed that up blame my iPhone. That was a lot to type.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob you always have something to prove. You never make sense. And you never have a point...

I have nothing to prove, the fact that most propositions that are not tautologies nor contradictions are incapable of proof notwithstanding.

Your inability to comprehend something does not mean that it makes no sense, it is equally likely, perhaps more so in your case, that you are incapable of perceiving the point. For whatever reason, be it lack of basic language skills, English not being your native tongue, or whatever, your own failings in this area seems to irritate you such that you fall back to summoning rather feeble insults.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
O my.... I think my feelings just got hurt. Sigh. Bob doesn't like my forum slang, oh what AM I to do?...

Dude is forum slang? No, dude is term used by idiots to refer to each other.

gabagoo

I bought 2 of the safety straight edges about 5 years ago and I have to agree with Bob. They don't sit well and I found that the edge of the blade did not cut well against a soft aluminum edge.

I used a stainless steel straight edge for years but found it moved to easily on critical cuts, so I removed the rubber backing off the aluminum straight edge and applied it to the stainless steel one, and it is absolutely perfect now.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think I've ever heard or read a stranger question than how to cut away your excess banner material in the fashion it was asked by the OP. This will probably get me spanked, but how in the world can someone be printing a banner and not have any common sense as to how to get rid of your unwanted material ?? That one just baffles the livin' chit out of me.

That aside, regardless of what tools you use and how accurate or not some are over others..... you can't deny the truth. That truth being, bob is again right on. His delivery might not be to your liking, but then again, the information is dead balls on.

When bob delivers, I don't think I've ever seen or heard him tell a lie, give an untrue statement or beat around the bush. I'm not kissing up, but he always finds the means in which to get his point across, it's just that some of you just don't plain understand the English language and are always resorting to 3 or 4 letter words and using so many words to describe something when sometimes one word does it better. You might have to go look it up, but I've often treated many of bob's posts as the word for the day. I've learned a ton of things just listening to bob.

GoodPeopleFlags

I gotta ask: Foo, why did you have to ask that question? Seriously? Did you open a sign shop without any knowledge of how to make signs? Because that's not smart. Or are you working in an established shop? If so, the people who hired you need to answer those basic questions for you.

As for the attitude from the folks here, they have every right to call you out for a question like that. I'm guessing you're probably going to have alot more questions in the future so don't **** off the folks you need help from.

Flame

Dude is forum slang? No, dude is term used by idiots to refer to each other.

Well this idiot is making a great living making signs so I guess being an idiot these days isn't all that bad. :rock-n-roll: Keep smiling dude.

That one just baffles the livin' chit out of me.

I would give the OP some credit. He probably had HIS way of cutting the material, just wanted suggestions on what some more experienced guys are using, just to make sure he's being efficient.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well this idiot is making a great living making signs so I guess being an idiot these days isn't all that bad. :rock-n-roll: Keep smiling dude.

I would give the OP some credit. He probably had HIS way of cutting the material, just wanted suggestions on what some more experienced guys are using, just to make sure he's being efficient.

I don't think so, or he wouldn't have asked what kind of cutters can be used or do you just fold it all under and hem it all together.

There's a time to give credit and then there's a time to critique...... and then there's a time to call a spade a spade. This one is just plain bad. Not stupid or wrong.... just bad. Anyone that has gotten as far as second grade and used a pair of scissors to cut out autumn leaves for the classroom windows or snowflakes for the same has got to know that in order to eliminate waste, you need to cut it off with some sort of sharp tool like a knife, scissors or some sort of cutting system. To have gotten this far by buying a printer, computer and making signs for customers, is pretty sad that they haven't yet quite developed the use of scissors. Heck, even a Caveman could do that......... :banghead:

Marlene

I'm sorry, I did post in the "Newbies" section right? Maybe I got confused with the "Arrogant, Experienced Workers Who Like To Berate New People That Are Trying To Learn How To Do Things They've Never Done Before" section...

newbies in our world really mean people who have done their research but still have some areas where they need some suggestions. from the question you asked, it made most wonder how you are selling banners if you don't know and haven't taken the time to learn the very basics. if you are in the process of learning from scratch and are not in the process of actually making and selling banners, that would make a question like this a little less WTF???ish. is this your research into bannre making? if so, please just say so. it sounded like you are actually making these things for sale and that may not be the case. we are not a bunch of jerks and to call us stuff like arrogant, experienced workers who like to berate new people blaa blaa blaa is kind of harsh for someone who doesn't know us at all.

Marlene

When bob delivers, I don't think I've ever seen or heard him tell a lie, give an untrue statement or beat around the bush

this is true and I couldn't agree more. his delivery isn't packed with sugary sweet "atta boy's" but he offers up info that is straight forward.

HulkSmash

this is true and I couldn't agree more. his delivery isn't packed with sugary sweet "atta boy's" but he offers up info that is straight forward.

Has nothing to do with how he delivers. Does he help? Yes. Never argued that. It has to do with his constant insulting because people don't feel the need to talk like they're having a conversation with the queen of England every time they type something.