• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting magnet on Graphtec FC 8600, anyone try it?

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
I just bought the new Graphtec FC 8600 64" and have been extremely pleased with it, especially the perf cut feature. This has expanded my capabilities by doing actual cut through decals and retail stickers instead of outsourcing them for die-cutting. So, my next step is to try cutting magnet using the perf cut. I spoke with Graphtec technical support and they said while they do not recommend doing this, it can be done and they have several customers that use it for this. The problem is the metal on the front and back of the cutter, however this could be covered with some thin styrene so the magnet would not adhere to it. They also said to use a 30 degree blade. So, who here has cut magnet and how well did it work out? Any advice on settings, tips and tricks would be appreciated.
Thanks

TomK

I just bought the new Graphtec FC 8600 64" and have been extremely pleased with it, especially the perf cut feature. This has expanded my capabilities by doing actual cut through decals and retail stickers instead of outsourcing them for die-cutting. So, my next step is to try cutting magnet using the perf cut. I spoke with Graphtec technical support and they said while they do not recommend doing this, it can be done and they have several customers that use it for this. The problem is the metal on the front and back of the cutter, however this could be covered with some thin styrene so the magnet would not adhere to it. They also said to use a 30 degree blade. So, who here has cut magnet and how well did it work out? Any advice on settings, tips and tricks would be appreciated.
Thanks

How do you like perf cutting on the FC8600? I saw video's where you have to change the blade holder position and then submit your job again to get perf cuts, which seems like a PITA to do. I'm actually looking at a smaller Summa for our perf cut jobs, where I don't have to do anything special and the perf cuts can all be done in one job run.

Are you using Flexi to run these jobs?

As for cutting magnet on it, I cut it on our FC8600, but it is a major pain. I use kraft paper under the magnet material, and you have to run small length jobs, and at times the cutting still is off even if I run a 20" length job.

Many of the folks I've talked to, and even the supplier says to print on vinyl, hand cut the magnet material, and then mount the vinyl on it, which seems like a PITA too!

I found one place that sells pre-cut 12x24 rounded magnet material, but most of what we do is 7x10 or 10x14 - still looking for a supplier that has pre-cut in those sizes.

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
The perf cutting on vinyl works awesome. It's actually really easy to do, you have to spend a little time for the initial set up but once that blade setting is saved it's all good. You do have to move the blade holder to the front position so you are not damaging your cutting strip. What blade do you use for cutting magnet? Are you just scoring the magnet with the blade then pushing it out by hand? I have a client that wants several hundred magnets cut to the shape of Iowa and they are probably about 3.5"x2.5" in size. Was thinking if I just used the plotter to score the magnet then I would be ok doing it that way and pushing them out by hand.

TomK

The perf cutting on vinyl works awesome. It's actually really easy to do, you have to spend a little time for the initial set up but once that blade setting is saved it's all good. You do have to move the blade holder to the front position so you are not damaging your cutting strip. What blade do you use for cutting magnet? Are you just scoring the magnet with the blade then pushing it out by hand? I have a client that wants several hundred magnets cut to the shape of Iowa and they are probably about 3.5"x2.5" in size. Was thinking if I just used the plotter to score the magnet then I would be ok doing it that way and pushing them out by hand.

I don't want to have to keep moving the blade holder back and forth to get perf cutting. My understanding is, blade in normal position, cut job, stop, move blade holder position, resubmit job for perf cut, stop, move blade back, and repeat...such a pita as I have many back to back jobs that need perf cut.

I score the magnet material only, and then it breaks off really easy. Be prepared for waste, as the cutting will be off on some jobs and not on others, at least in my experience, we are using MuscleMag and that stuff is pretty strong in terms of wanting to stick to the cutter.

I use CCB 60 degree for most everything.

Danr2c2

I know this is an old thread but I'd appreciate any supplier references for magnetic material in the 15 mil or thinner range that doesn't have a printable layer. Or do you guys all use the printable stuff and just add vinyl on top?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
The thinner the magnet, (usually) the less like it is to hold worth a darn. Also, cutting on a friction fed plotter is a pain and a number of printer manufacturers tell you specifically not to print magnetic materials in their printers (though it seems the hybrids handle the material okay). The best option for cutting a magnet to shape (other than rectangular) is either die cut (too pricey for one offs) or a flatbed cutter.

Danr2c2

Thanks for the advice, GaSouthpaw, I am cutting rectangles and squares only. However it's like 150' worth of 1"X1" squares and 1"x2" rectangles. I'm hoping not to have to do them all by hand and I don't have a flatbed or access to one. If a add a carrier sheet to that thin material do you think it'll work?

ikarasu

for 150' worth... You may be better buying a guillotine.

https://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-Heavy...d=1518845642&sr=8-32&keywords=guillotine&th=1

One like that. Cut them into bigger manageable sheets of say 12" x 12", setup a jig that stops the material everytime you push 1" through, stack them and cut them down. We have a bigger guillotine, we used to cut down 20+ rolls of magnets per month this way. Usually in bigger sheets for screen printing.. but we found it to be the fastest way.

A plotter is good if you need specific shapes... But I wouldn't want to run 150' through just for squares, no matter the material.

You can do it, and it should work, but thicker materials tend to slide, especially if youre cutting right through..so you'll be babysitting the machine for longer than a guillotine can do it.

Are you planning on adding colored vinyl on top? Or do you just need plain magnets? if the latter, it might be better to even just buy them pre-cut.

1 x 1 Inch Strong Flexible Self-Adhesive Magnetic Squares, Peel & Stick Refrigerator Magnet Squares (96 Pieces) just sample of pricing... These have adhesive on them, though I'm sure you can find a supplier that will cut them with no adhesive, and if you're ordering a whole roll they might give a decent discount.