• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Magnetic Material

dj_elite

Ok so I have seen a lot about printing on magnetic material and not to do it. But to instead print on vinyl and laminate, then apply to the magnetic material. My question is: How do you cut it? I have tried small amounts on my cutter, but even then it sticks a little and give me poor cuts. Anyone know the trick? Or am I stuck with hand cutting square and rectangle magnets only?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Magnetic material kills a sharp edge very quickly.

Cut by hand and have a lot of knife blades handy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guillotine cutter
Scissors
Utility knife
Keen cutter
Just about anything sharp will cut through that stuff like butter.

subbing out on larger amounts is always going to be cheaper sure, but it was a last minute job for a good client and it really doesn't take long at all to do and is real easy.

dj_elite

So does anyone cut contour with their cutter? Big orders will be subbed out, its for the small runs. I can currently do it, but I have to about 10 at a time to keep the material short

i know some on here buy a cheap chinese plotter from fleabay and use that just for cutting magnets. i think you can get there for two to three hundred bucks.

royster13

Define small run....Even at 50 pieces it would be hard to do them in-house for less money than subbing them out...

dj_elite

Almost everything is less money when subbing out. I like to run things in house. Thats why I print. It may be a higher price for my customer. But at least I know where it comes from and can honestly say made in America. I do short runs of 50 and under. I was just wondering if there was a trick so I could cut them all at the same time, instead of 10 at a time is all.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure how many up you're printing, but if you'd figure out your yield, print accordingly..... whether you're doing 50 or 250.... all you need to do is make a jig at 5" and cut away. Get to the end, turn them and cut the next side. 50 you should have done in about 15 minutes or so. 250, maybe 1/2 an hour. As you go, it gets faster and faster without even realizing it.

dj_elite

Jig is a great idea! Thanks, I never thought of that. I will try that in the future. Any pictures of one? I'm sorry I didn't specify at the top though. I was curious on how everyone does contour cuts.

randya

So does anyone cut contour with their cutter? Big orders will be subbed out, its for the small runs. I can currently do it, but I have to about 10 at a time to keep the material short

We have 'scored' magnets and then broke them out.
Slow the cutter way down, acceleration way down, and increase the presure.

Stay with fairly small sheets as it is easy for the material to 'drift' during scoring because of the weight.

The thinner mag material is easier.