• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Magnetic Material

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I'm not sure how many up you're printing, but if you'd figure out your yield, print accordingly..... whether you're doing 50 or 250.... all you need to do is make a jig at 5" and cut away. Get to the end, turn them and cut the next side. 50 you should have done in about 15 minutes or so. 250, maybe 1/2 an hour. As you go, it gets faster and faster without even realizing it.

+1 to the jig. a nice aluminum jig to contour cut your magnetics works wonders ... I have a customer I made one for years ago for his pair of magnetics (moon shaped at the top of a rounded square box) that he would get every couple of months for contracted new hires and for replacements. Good stuff, took me longer to apply the graphics than to cut the thing out and all i used is just my snap away blade.

natedawg9640

the Edge ready magnetic materials are a breeze to work with. direct print, cut on the envision plotter, done. seldom have registration issues or anything of that nature. only problem is the size limitation of 13.25" tall.

Bill Modzel

I've printed vinyl with registration marks and laminated it to .020" magnetic. I set up the file in small "pages" around 8" x 22" depending on the size of the individual cuts.
I also put a layer or two of pre-mask over the bare metal of my FC7000-100 which helps the stock slide and not stick to the plotter.

Kim

Almost everything is less money when subbing out. I like to run things in house. Thats why I print. It may be a higher price for my customer. But at least I know where it comes from and can honestly say made in America. I do short runs of 50 and under. I was just wondering if there was a trick so I could cut them all at the same time, instead of 10 at a time is all.

I totally agree with you. When you print in house you have control and know the job will get done right and on time.

tagsigns

we lay a piece of mdf on our cnc, roll out the mag, tape the edges in a few places, then turn off the router motor and use a pen knife in it. We can set up sections to do multiple up in a screen press set up or just cut out whatever shape we need to print them one up.

Mosh

Plasma cutter is what I use.....DymaPak 50 Plasma cutter cuts like
a hot knife thru butter!!!!

royster13

I totally agree with you. When you print in house you have control and know the job will get done right and on time.

No different than having dependable out-source vendors......The reality is there are many outsource vendors that deliver near flawless quality and service....

lenwardus

Converted a Roland GX cutter to a hybrid/friction feed/flat bed cutter.
Will pull and cut magnetic with vinyl and lam.

Max workable length is a function of table length.
Dead on cutting 2-3 passes. Use cleancut 60° carbide blades.

woolly

Converted a Roland GX cutter to a hybrid/friction feed/flat bed cutter.
Will pull and cut magnetic with vinyl and lam.

Max workable length is a function of table length.
Dead on cutting 2-3 passes. Use cleancut 60° carbide blades.

yes converted my fc7000 for flat cutting of difficult materials makes a real difference. then a fc2250 came up at the right price, could not resist it.

end of story

cleancutblade

I talked to Magnatek in Vegas last year. They had a piece of fiberglass window screen taped over the metal on the bed of the machine to keep the magnet away from the it. Please try one of my ROLD 60M's and let me know if it works.