Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn flies!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Colin, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    As the weather is warming up a bit, I now have the shop door wide open, and for some reason flies (std house fly) keep coming in and it drives me nuts! I don't understand it because there is absolutely no food source or anything I can think of that would lure them in (except that dead deer laying in the corner). :Big Laugh

Is there a trick to repelling them at the doorway?

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    have you tried putting up a sign?

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    A house fly with STD's seems a little gross.

One time I power washed my house...and we had these crazy bigger house flies for like two weeks. We called the exterminator, and he said all you can do is just wait it out...he acts like they can't do anything for flies. A couple weeks later, they just disappeared...it was weird. They were stupid though, I'd kill like 20 each night w/o much trouble.

4. jc1cell

jc1cell Active Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Showering a couple times a day helps! >grin<

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    OK not confirmed, but heard it works from multiple party's

Fill a large, durable plastic bag with clear, fresh water. This water, with its capacity for refracting and reflecting light, will be perceived by flying insects as high optic flow. Flying insects avoid regions of high optic flow in order to prevent collisions. As a result, a simple bag of water can serve as a sort of insect lighthouse, warning it away from rocky shores.

Place a shiny penny into the bag, the shiner, the better. This penny should only increase the amount of reflection (optic flow) put off by the bag. Multiple pennies may work even better, so long as they increase the amount of reflective material in the bag. Don't add so many, however, that they're liable to strain or break the bag.

Seal the bag, or tie the opening securely shut with a piece of string or cord that measures at least a few feet long. The cord should be strong enough both to hold the full weight of the bag, and to survive extended use and exposure to weather and wind.

Hang the bag outside a doorway, from the limb of a tree, or anywhere that you are have a bothersome fly population. Make sure the bag is in the sun, or exposed to a significant amount of light. Ideally, the bag should be exposed to a gentle breeze that will rock the bag to and fro. This movement allows the bag to catch and reflect even more light, turning it into even more of a warning beacon for bothersome insects.

Monitor the bug population, to see if your "insect repellent" has any effects. Folk remedies such as this are hardly an exact science and results can vary. If you have no success, try hanging the bags in different locations. With as low-cost a remedy as this, feel free to hang multiple bags if you feel that one just wasn't enough.

6. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    i just bought a 48 inch bladed cooler for our back warehouse. it better work its over 100 today

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Try a screen door.

8. Dzrt1st

Dzrt1st Member

Jan 22, 2008
  9. Tim Kingston

Tim Kingston Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Canada
    I thought I read somewhere to use a paper bag ( inflated ) and hang it from a string. It appears like a wasp's nest to some. Just not sure if the "some" are flies or not!

10. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    jhilldesigns: Interesting. Unfortunately my doorway faces North (no direct sun).

Tim K: That's easy enough to try. Will report.

11. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Charge admission.

12. TedNes

TedNes New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Come on....everyone knows that people (or flies) coming to sign shops don't actually ready the signs.......why would people keep coming to the front office door when there's a big sign on the front door saying "Pickup and Delivery around back"...

13. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I squish em in the laminator. The busier the print the less they're noticed.

14. Tony McD

Tony McD Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Camdenton, Missouri
    I had also heard the ziplock, water, shiny pennies, hanging outside by a door in sunlight works, but haven't tried it.

Mythbusters didn't put any pennies in their bag, and their box was inside, so that might make a difference.

15. rjpjr

rjpjr Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    :ROFLMAO:

Exodus 8:21
    If you do not let my people go, I will send swarms of flies on you and your officials, on your people and into your houses. The houses of the Egyptians will be full of flies; even the ground will be covered with them.

Just Kidding...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :clapping:

Carry On... :popcorn:

16. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    You work with the worlds largest flypaper, Just take the backing off some of your rejects and open a book on how many you catch in a day.

17. theskipman_98

theskipman_98 Member

May 14, 2007
    Getting tired of them here landing on our signs that are drying....

One even managed to survive the paint booth and end up as part of a new 4'x20' panned and embossed face...Lil' b*****ds.....

18. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

simply SCHIT IN THE OPPOSITE corner..............of where you are working, flies will go there))))))))hahahahahahahahhaahhaha

19. Tim Kingston

Tim Kingston Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Canada
  20. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Lol!

Leave it up to Old Paint to figure on bunching them!

:doh:

21. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    tell mosh to go home.