• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Damn flies!

Colin

As the weather is warming up a bit, I now have the shop door wide open, and for some reason flies (std house fly) keep coming in and it drives me nuts! I don't understand it because there is absolutely no food source or anything I can think of that would lure them in (except that dead deer laying in the corner). :Big Laugh

Is there a trick to repelling them at the doorway?

TheSnowman

A house fly with STD's seems a little gross.

One time I power washed my house...and we had these crazy bigger house flies for like two weeks. We called the exterminator, and he said all you can do is just wait it out...he acts like they can't do anything for flies. A couple weeks later, they just disappeared...it was weird. They were stupid though, I'd kill like 20 each night w/o much trouble.

J Hill Designs

OK not confirmed, but heard it works from multiple party's

Fill a large, durable plastic bag with clear, fresh water. This water, with its capacity for refracting and reflecting light, will be perceived by flying insects as high optic flow. Flying insects avoid regions of high optic flow in order to prevent collisions. As a result, a simple bag of water can serve as a sort of insect lighthouse, warning it away from rocky shores.

Place a shiny penny into the bag, the shiner, the better. This penny should only increase the amount of reflection (optic flow) put off by the bag. Multiple pennies may work even better, so long as they increase the amount of reflective material in the bag. Don't add so many, however, that they're liable to strain or break the bag.

Seal the bag, or tie the opening securely shut with a piece of string or cord that measures at least a few feet long. The cord should be strong enough both to hold the full weight of the bag, and to survive extended use and exposure to weather and wind.

Hang the bag outside a doorway, from the limb of a tree, or anywhere that you are have a bothersome fly population. Make sure the bag is in the sun, or exposed to a significant amount of light. Ideally, the bag should be exposed to a gentle breeze that will rock the bag to and fro. This movement allows the bag to catch and reflect even more light, turning it into even more of a warning beacon for bothersome insects.

Monitor the bug population, to see if your "insect repellent" has any effects. Folk remedies such as this are hardly an exact science and results can vary. If you have no success, try hanging the bags in different locations. With as low-cost a remedy as this, feel free to hang multiple bags if you feel that one just wasn't enough.

Tim Kingston

I thought I read somewhere to use a paper bag ( inflated ) and hang it from a string. It appears like a wasp's nest to some. Just not sure if the "some" are flies or not!

Colin

jhilldesigns: Interesting. Unfortunately my doorway faces North (no direct sun).

Tim K: That's easy enough to try. Will report.

TedNes

have you tried putting up a sign?

Come on....everyone knows that people (or flies) coming to sign shops don't actually ready the signs.......why would people keep coming to the front office door when there's a big sign on the front door saying "Pickup and Delivery around back"...

Tony McD

I had also heard the ziplock, water, shiny pennies, hanging outside by a door in sunlight works, but haven't tried it.

Mythbusters didn't put any pennies in their bag, and their box was inside, so that might make a difference.

rjpjr

:ROFLMAO:

Exodus 8:21
If you do not let my people go, I will send swarms of flies on you and your officials, on your people and into your houses. The houses of the Egyptians will be full of flies; even the ground will be covered with them.

Just Kidding...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :clapping:

Carry On... :popcorn:

anotherdog

You work with the worlds largest flypaper, Just take the backing off some of your rejects and open a book on how many you catch in a day.

theskipman_98

Getting tired of them here landing on our signs that are drying....

One even managed to survive the paint booth and end up as part of a new 4'x20' panned and embossed face...Lil' b*****ds.....

OldPaint

simply SCHIT IN THE OPPOSITE corner..............of where you are working, flies will go there))))))))hahahahahahahahhaahhaha