• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dancing on vinyl

Mark H

I have a client (actually his fiancée) that want vinyl initials on the dance floor, I guess this is a new thing. The dance floor is laminate 20'x20' I have attached a pic. Has anyone done this? What kind of vinyl do I use that will hold up to a night of dancing and be able to be removed?

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 8.17.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 8.17.31 PM.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 288

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
REMOVABLE vinyl of your choice with a floor lamination. I’d only use one that meets non-slip regulations (CYA!!!)

Print/lam/cut/install. NO OVERLAPS ON SEAMS. Butt seams only!

CanuckSigns

we have a client who installs these for weddings, he asks for the cheapest removable vinyl with cheap matte laminate, they are usually only down for 6 hours then ripped up and thrown away. he has never had an issue with people injuring themselves on the floor.

petepaz

definitely use the UL certified slip resistant lam if you are going to do it. we do this and always use the certified non-slip lam. it cost more but at least you have piece of mind if someone tries to sue you (they will try regardless but at least you have proof you used the correct material) bottom line is if someone spills something it doesn't matter what lam you use it will be slippery but if you use the correct material you are protected. if you think it's just a one time thing probably better to farm out because the lam isn't cheap.
i loose a lot of these jobs to the guys that use the cheap lam but like i said that could come back to haunt you. as far as the vinyl we just use a removable vinyl. i do try to get something recommended for temp floor graphics again just to be on the safe side.

JasonCS

Drytac Floortac has worked well for me in the past, though I am sure most removable floor vinyls would work with a matte laminate.

The only small concern I would have with this particular install would be foot dragging dancers with dress shoes on those thin lines and ends in the artwork.

rjssigns

Why? Fellers sells nearly everything imaginable by the yard.

Lotsa reasons starting with it's a one time thing. In those situations I let the experts with material in stock handle it.

Feller's sells by the yard. Okay. You still have to order, print, laminate and contour cut. Any one of these can go sideways meaning you get to do it all over again.

Then there's the legal aspect. In today's litigious society it's best to completely cover your posterior.

There are those that claim you can use any old this or that and there's never been a problem. Wait until there is a problem and you find yourself in front of a judge saying: "But every body else is doing it". That'll fly.

petepaz

There are those that claim you can use any old this or that and there's never been a problem. Wait until there is a problem and you find yourself in front of a judge saying: "But every body else is doing it". That'll fly.......HAHAHA
my point exactly.
we have done a bunch of dance floors but we use the correct material to help avoid such issues. it cost more and we have lost a few jobs because of that but we also haven't been sued and haven't had a customer not pay because it failed.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Everyone saying CYA but...

Has anyone ever been sued for a slip/fall on here?

petepaz

no but people have sued for less and all depends on how bad the person gets hurt. also for a couple hundred $$$ is it worth the risk?

Dan360

We've been doing a 100ft runway for a local fashion show every year for the past 3 years. We use Avery 2921 and DOL 2080(anti-slip), prices aren't bad and you can use it for other stuff if you have a bunch left over. They are always happy with the results. The venue has a pretty uneven tile floor due to it's age. Not quite dancing but lots of heels. They use it for about 4-5 hours and remove.

On a flat floor, I'm confident it would do the job.

Billct2

It's an interesting problem....lots dance floors are fairly slippery, so you use a non-slip laminate and somebody's ankle twists when they hit the non-slip after sliding across the smooth floor.
Then you get sued for causing their injury? Maybe just skip the whole thing.