• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DANGERS of UV Printing

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
What exactly is the issue with UV exposure again?

george-hamilton.jpg

RickGS

Hello Everyone,
Had a chance to work at a large Signage Firm out of town for a day as they needed an extra pair of hands. I was just set up out the back with a load of vinyl application work which was situated approx 10 metres away on a workbench facing their large flatbed UV Printer that was in a glass office type area so the printer could be easily seen when printing. I was working away and looked up I could see the entire UV light bulb moving left to right while printing...wow that's bright, I thought and turned to ask another worker that was behind me..."Should I be seeing that UV light and should it be behind a shield so it can not be seen?"....no-one was around to ask....a large firm with 20 or so workers in the workshop and 'No one to be seen', that's odd I thought.
Anyway, I carried on with what I was doing, then the UV Printer operator came in as the printer had stopped printing. he asked me over to look at the media that was printed on and asked me way do you think the print image quality looks like this....I looked at it and it looked as if the ink had blistered but I said I was not sure as I do not know or have operated a UV Printer before.
About 4 hours later I could feel my face burning and said to the Foremen I have to leave as something has come up...got back home, looked in the mirror and my face has got a sunburn type feel and look to it.
Did some research and you can indeed get some UV Radiation burns from a UV Printer if the operator has the back shield off and the curing UV set very high....Negligent or not!!

RickGS

Hello Everyone,
Had a chance to work at a large Signage Firm out of town for a day as they needed an extra pair of hands. I was just set up out the back with a load of vinyl application work which was situated approx 10 metres away on a workbench facing their large flatbed UV Printer that was in a glass office type area so the printer could be easily seen when printing. I was working away and looked up I could see the entire UV light bulb moving left to right while printing...wow that's bright, I thought and turned to ask another worker that was behind me..."Should I be seeing that UV light and should it be behind a shield so it can not be seen?"....no-one was around to ask....a large firm with 20 or so workers in the workshop and 'No one to be seen', that's odd I thought.
Anyway, I carried on with what I was doing, then the UV Printer operator came in as the printer had stopped printing. he asked me over to look at the media that was printed on and asked me way do you think the print image quality looks like this....I looked at it and it looked as if the ink had blistered but I said I was not sure as I do not know or have operated a UV Printer before.
About 4 hours later I could feel my face burning and said to the Foremen I have to leave as something has come up...got back home, looked in the mirror and my face has got a sunburn type feel and look to it.
Did some research and you can indeed get some UV Radiation burns from a UV Printer if the operator has the back shield off and the curing UV set very high....Negligent or not!!
IT's not the light. It's the ink.
Even the fumes are reactionary.
Need to handle carefully

M D Gourley

One must realise that UV Exposure is 'Cumulative' as over exposure for years / decades could end in disaster...I had an elderly neighbor who was a keen gardner, his vegetable patch was a thing of beauty...he developed Melanoma on the top of his ear of all places, it soon spread to the rest of his head and face...before he past on he said..."Son, always wear a hat when you go outside".
UV radiation / exposure from any source over a long period could be a slow death until you know you have it, ignorance is not bliss....Health and Safety is crucial in today's world.