• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dark bands in print after new printhead (picture)

vladio

My DJ 5500ps UV threw a 5016 code (reseat printhead) code last week. It was a little over a year old and had maybe 400ml through it. I just bought a new printhead that was NOT expired - had till December or so I think. Now, I get these dark bands about every six inches. The more passes the printer's set to the less they can been seen but they're still visible, just less. They're only on the display/button side and fade towards the ink tank side (Facing the printer - Heavier on the right and almost nonexistent on the left).

I guess it could be the print head but I'm sure the place I bought it from is going to say it's not. Just wondering if anyone's come across this.

Attachments

• IMG_4457_zps31d8a2db.jpg
    IMG_4457_zps31d8a2db.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:

vladio

I'm going to get this job done then change the material out and run some test prints through. Just wondering if air in the black line would cause this.

Attachments

• IMG_4458_zps20f9aeae.jpg
    IMG_4458_zps20f9aeae.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4459_zps7dd5cab0.jpg
    IMG_4459_zps7dd5cab0.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:

Bly

Maybe. Is there air in any of the lines?
It's easy enough to see.
Bring the carriage across and lift the lid.

vladio

Maybe. Is there air in any of the lines?
It's easy enough to see.
Bring the carriage across and lift the lid.

They're encapsulated in rubber. I can't see but a small part that's close to the carriage.

Last edited:

ironchef

The black dots is from it being a bitmap, try printing a raw eps file and see if the white area still leaves black dots

vladio

roll material laying on table for extended time

The media was new, boxed and had the pastic shipping caps that keep the weight of the roll from sitting on the material.

This problem occurs on other media's.

The black dots is from it being a bitmap, try printing a raw eps file and see if the white area still leaves black dots

This is an eps file that's from the ad agency I've been print for since '98. Their files are always very good.

Since these posters are viewed at a distance, I've always printed them at 300 dpi. There was never an issue and it should make no difference.

It's the printhead. I tried to print one of the built-in sample prints, one solid color bar for each color, and the black bar only printed a half inch then ran out of ink.

vladio

Thnx for the input. I did a nozzle test and the new black print head was a train wreck. Over half weren't firing. I also did the solid color line test and the black ink dropped out a quarter do the way through. I should have a replacement here tomorrow. Thanks again!

vladio

I just put a new head in and it seems to be still doing it. ugh.

When I put the new head in it went through the alignment process. Do you do anything beyond that?

Also, I can't find the feed compensation as was mentioned. Where is that setting located?

vladio

It's printing fine without any problems on 8 pass.

The ink lines aren't a year old.

When I get this job out the door I'll play around with it a little.

Any idea on the Feed comp that was mentioned above. I looked through the printer menu and the service manual and don't see it.

C

ColoPrinthead

I've had this happen, but last time was back in 2004/5. I haven't played with a 5000 series in awhile so I can't walk you through the menu, but if you explore your print head adjustments and run the cals it should help. Before you work on the panel to fix it though, I'd like to suggest the annoying "duh" comment of cleaning your encoder strip, but definitely take the time to clean the contact points of the head and where it meets the carriage. I know it sounds stupid but I had a tech tell me spit works quite well in 2003 and I believe him, alcohol works too.

C

ColoPrinthead

Take a look at the belt that drives the carriage for wear or damage also. I don't think its the cause, but the same printer that was giving me prints like yours had that issue at some point in time, though I think it was unrelated to the print issue you showed (it's been awhile).

vladio

Take a look at the belt that drives the carriage for wear or damage also. I don't think its the cause, but the same printer that was giving me prints like yours had that issue at some point in time, though I think it was unrelated to the print issue you showed (it's been awhile).

Thanks for the info. It seems to be printing well with the new head.