• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Darn Dumpster Divers.....

CES020

Okay, I wasn't paranoid until someone recently interviewed with me and said that they'd gladly go dumpster diving at the competitors locations. I'm not sure why they told me that, or where it came from, but up until that point, I never thought about it. I do get torqued off when I see these dirtbags raiding our dumpsters on a weekly basis, looking for scrap anything. The signs clearly say "No Trespassing", but apparently they lack reading skills.

I went out to load the truck a few days ago, and I knew I had taken some office trash out earlier and our dumpster was close to being empty. I go to load the truck, I notice all sorts of things that were in my trash bags, now on the pavement. I open the dumpster and about 1/2 of what I put in it is now gone.

Not sure what in there was able to be recycled, since it wasn't that much in there. However, it's pushed me over into the paranoid side of things. Who the heck goes through someones trash bags that are in a dumpster? My trash bags had been emptied in the dumpster.

Now I'm thinking about shredding everything. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid.

Anyone else dealing with dumpster divers, whether they are scrounging for scrap or trying to go through it to get company information? If so, how are you dealing with it?

Fanaticus

We recycle most of what we can ourselves, even though it means storing it somewhere until there's enough to make it worth it.

We shred everything that could be used in an ill manner or has revealing information.

We sell off some of our garbage on Ebay (plastic and cardboard cores)

Sell our scrap vinyl on ebay for the craft cutters.

Not much to get from our final garbage.

VinylLabs.com

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure it's completly legal, unless the bin is inside a enclosed, locked location, or the bin itself is locked. or unless you file a restraining order against them. I remember reading up on it when we had a problem with it a while back. we ended up putting locks on the bins.

WrapperX

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure it's completly legal, unless the bin is inside a enclosed, locked location, or the bin itself is locked. or unless you file a restraining order against them. I remember reading up on it when we had a problem with it a while back. we ended up putting locks on the bins.

You've been quoted - :ROFLMAO:

CES020

Leave a couple of bags of hot turds from the dog in there. It'll stop.

Great, now I have to get a dog..............

It's not legal, there are on private properly that is posted as such. There is no entrance to our office park that is not posted.

It's probably google trying to find out the one last thing they don't know about our business or personal lives :omg:

get yourself a security camera and video tape the people who do it and then call the cops.... if its on private property then its trespass and they can get arrested for it.

VinylLabs.com

Might be different in canada, but if it's open to the public, and it is garbage that has not been secured, it's fair game. does your parking area have a gate or somethign that has to be secured? does it have a "visitors" area?

weaselboogie

I think our home trash was the most vile when the kids were in diapers. Get a whiff of a bag that's been fermenting for a couple of days in 90 degree heat will knock you on your butt.

I like the idea of the waste ink... even better would be screen printing ink... That stuff NEVER dries.

Pat Whatley

Somebody goes through mine almost daily. It doesn't bother me, they can take anything they want as long as they don't scatter trash all over the parking lot. I'm pretty sure it's just the recycling hounds. With recycled metal paying what it does these days there's a pretty good living to made pulling stuff out of dumpsters.

mrchips

http://www.rid-x.com/products.shtml

Get the liquid and put it in a zip-lock bag.......just a little. Put it in the dumpster where the "diver" will step on it , breaking the bag. He won't come back. BTW, go outside when you open the bottle and have the wind to your back. hehehehehehe

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Sticky Signs

My buddy has a lot of binner traffic in his residential alley. Most of the binners are pretty respectful but every now and than you get a jerk that just dumps the whole can over and makes a huge mess. So one day my buddy hears the loud crash of bin being tipped over. He grabbed his baseball bat and chased the guy down the alley. Made the guy clean up the mess and threatened to use his head for batting practice if he ever seen him again. I think that guy has found a new alley to dwell in.

HulkSmash

there are SO many dumpster divers here. I dont really care if they're taking my metal scraps to melt down and sell. But i think the motorcycle shop next to us gives them the most business :)