• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Darn Dumpster Divers.....

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Shread all your documents before discarding, and then weld spikes (square cut masonry nails) to the inside lip of the dumpster, and leave them sticking up an inch or so. That oughta curtail any belly flopping.....

(If anybody squaks about liability, tell 'em it's to keep the pidgeons from roosting.) On second thought, CYA by posting a sign on the front that says "Dive at Your Own Risk".

JB

buttons

Might be different in canada, but if it's open to the public, and it is garbage that has not been secured, it's fair game. does your parking area have a gate or somethign that has to be secured? does it have a "visitors" area?

Even here in Canada you can't trespass on someone's property to dig through their garbage.

toomeycustoms

Our trash company has an option to have a lock installed on the dumpster. It's a minimal cost, but keeps away the divers and people who want to dump their trash.

We found some boxes in our dumpster that someone left over the weekend, but they forgot to take their name and address off the box. Turned out to be an apartment on the lot next to us. We went over knocked on their door and after no one answered left a note not to do it again.

artbot

once i negotiated a price for cleaning my property in trade for my aluminum scrap. i was gone. my girlfriend supervised the project. he loaded up the $400 worth of aluminum scraps and drove off!!! gah! didn't get his name or anything.

TheSnowman

Those idiots do that here too. We have (well, had) a Spring and Fall Cleanup where you'd set your trash out at the curb and the city would load it out. Not like normal trash, but the big stuff that you need to throw out. These stupid scrappers in their rusted out trucks drive around town all day wasting fuel, and ripping everyones stuff to shreds to get the steel and copper out of it, so they can go cash it in for $10. When you spent $20 in fuel, I don't get the point...but they just fling crap everywhere. I don't care if they do it, but put it back in the organized pile I had it in. If they are dumpster diving, they have no common courtesy anyway since you had signs up.

CES020

Cover your trash in waste ink.

Great, now I have to buy a printer AND a dog :)

I have no idea if they are searching for scraps or what. I assumed all this time it was just that and I lived with it. I figured they weren't hurting me, so what did I care. Then, with my wonderful interviewie offering to dumpster drive at the competitors, it was in the back of my mind. Later, when I saw they actually opened plastic trash bags and emptied them back in the dumpster, it really made me wonder if they were recycling or looking for customer information.

It's a short dumpster, not the big tall one, so they just lean over and get what they want.

Now, don't get me started on the pallet thieves!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wish people would take things out of ours. There's nothing in there I care about..... I think that's how we came to labeling our trash as........ 'TRASH'.

It's the people putting their stuff in my dumpster, that I have a problem with. I have videos of my dumb~butt neighbor actually doing this on several occasions. It's called 'Theft of Services' and they can pay some serious fines, not to mention some time according to what they throw away.

I like the dead body style. That'll definitely keep them out, unless they're a little hungry.

skyhigh

Gino beat me to it...
It used to be people adding to your dumpster. now those same people are taking things out.
How things have changed.

PS. We shread everything.

Firefox

Our dumpster locks..

Ditto!

We have a Med MJ place that opened right next door a few months back, they seem to stop by the dumpster for a quick toke before driving home!

A few weeks ago I was cleaning my shotgun... went outside to spray some bore cleaner down the tube... and was startled by a person crouched down by the side of the dumpster. I kinda jumped and the pump slid forward and the guy heard it, jumped up pissed his pants crying DON'T SOOT!

Told him to get the fu¢# outta here! He ran away leaving his dope!

I think he was more startled than I was!

Around here there is an ordnance prohibiting dumpster diving, especially the recycling dumpsters. The cities and counties lose a lot of $ with all the cans and bottles alone.

CentralSigns

The scraps you turf, are getting used by the "Kijiji sign guy". He pays nothing for materials, thats why he can sell his shirt price wise. He probably has a route he goes by every day, don't you notice it's always the same trucks. Either that or it's the FBI or CIA or IRS looking into weather your business is legit or not. You could be laundering money. They know all!!

RobbyMac

Theyre diving for scrap metal around our parts.
A few months back, we had come aluminum square tubing out in the parking lot while we temporarily re-arranged one of our bays. had 3 different people ask if it was scrap in about 2 hours.
Down the road, a custom fab shop had some 3,000$ worth of newly chromed parts delivered and left on their doorstep when everyone went out to lunch. Security cam later revealed that the 'missing' parts were scammed by dumpster divers, who probably got about $20 in scrap money for them. :(

I know it's legal if your trash is out at the curb for city pickup.. But is it legal if you pay a service for the dumpster and removal?

cdiesel

I see them almost daily in our dumpsters.. don't really care, as we tend to fill them quicker than they are emptied. I just don't want them to leave a mess. The ones I see regularly clean up after themselves. They take our cardboard.

Wes Phifer

We used to have a neighborhood behind our shop and people would put their trash in our dumpster. My Dad would dig it out and take it back to their house. If they were rude it went all over their yard. If they were nice just set down in the bag.

Craig Sjoquist

Whats the big deal.. so what somebody is making use of what you through out...shred your papers of any importance ... don't worry