• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Day Night City Scape HOW DO I DO IT?

sign_student

Hello everyone,

I tried doing a search and see if this was talked about before but I couldn't find it -

We got a call from a customer who wants a Cityscape (40' x 20') as a backdrop for a play.

The trick is that she wants to use the same print for day scenes and night scenes.

She has the equipment to light it from the back and/or the front.

Preferably on Vinyl.... Any thoughts on how to print this? On what material ? Backlit flex? front lit flex? Ideas on the lighting part??

This is the second request we've had for this just this month so we would like to try and take it on...

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Patrick

omgsideburns

like techman said, lighting.

you backlight it for night, and use front lights for day. the cityscape shape needs to be opaque. if you've never made drops i'd tell 'em to rent it from a theatre company.. probably cheaper.

Sticky Signs

You print the Day image on the front and front light it for the day time scene. You print the Night image on the back side. It must be perfectly registered. You back light for the night scene. OR, you can get ahold of me and I can sell you one.

Techman

You print the Day image on the front and front light it for the day time scene. You print the Night image on the back side. It must be perfectly registered. You back light for the night scene. OR, you can get ahold of me and I can sell you one.

NO.....

You paint/print it normal..

You change the scenes from day to night with the lighting. This is why setting lights is an art form in theater.

Pat Whatley

We've done smaller ones, never anything on that scale but the concept is the same (although Techman seems to know something I admittedly don't)

We had standard banner material printed with the daytime scene. When it came in we stretched it between two poles facing the sun so we could see the image through the banner. We traced the outlines of the windows and building onto the back, then painted them with opaque black (leaving the windows unpainted.

When lit from the front it looked like a daytime scene, when lit from the rear the "glow" of light through the windows looked pretty realistic and there was just enough light coming through the sky above the buildings to be pretty believable.

A lot of work but pretty cool results.

Sticky Signs

NO.....

You paint/print it normal..

You change the scenes from day to night with the lighting. This is why setting lights is an art form in theater.

Really? that's weird because all the big back drops we have here at the film studio are printed that way. I guess you could use some special lights that make a sky blue background look like it's black. I'll let everyone here at the warner bros. studio know that they're doing it wrong.

MikePro

no, nightscenes have windows that are lit rather than dark during daytime.
print it, however you can to have it on a white-transparent flexface/banner.

backlight for nighttime, front lit during the day and different lighting for whatever effects you want to throw at it in both scenes... sky's the limit, especially if you have laser lighting or projectors. would be cool to have a projector with a moving clouds video cycle, and animating the sky for the scene.

MikePro

cheapest way tho', for theatre... backdrop with a projector.
stockphotos images, or home made photos, of a city skyline is way cheaper than printing at $x.xx/sq.ft.
can even rent the projector + backdrop.

Sticky Signs

Basically a photographer places his camera and takes a photo of the scene during the day time. The photog than take the same picture but this time at night. The day scene is printed on the front face and the night scene is mirrored and double-hit printed on the back side. You front light for a day time scene and backlight for a night time scene.

OADesign

I did a show back in 07' I faced the same issue. Decided it was easiest to project the backdrop on to a large screen fromt he back. Then we were able to change the sceens at will. The back drop then can become what ever time of day or night or season you need. I can send you the contact of the guy who put it all together.

Attachments

• 1364860629_0ce328f278.jpg
    1364860629_0ce328f278.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 1212190025_8cc5a96984.jpg
    1212190025_8cc5a96984.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 1212247589_c95ec9377f.jpg
    1212247589_c95ec9377f.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 92

sign_student

hello All,

Due to time restraints we had to pass the offer but we will likely be experimenting with some of your ideas and see what we can pull off to be ready for next time.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions - and humour... Nothing like a good laugh!

I will let you know how we did if I can get production to try one out.

Cheers,

Patrick