• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dead PC...any ideas?

jiarby

It's a stretch, but as a last ditch you might try to reset the BIOS to defaults with the jumper switches...

WAAAY back in the day they used to put CUDA reset switches (in the MAC Clone days, 1994-5ish) on MOBOS and that would bring back a dead one now and then.

If you pull video it should still POST and beep 3x at you... is that still true??

Can you pop an OLD PCI video card in and post to BIOS??

Is the RAM seated firmly?? Loose RAM can do this.

ChiknNutz

Just removed the RAM and reseated, also tried in the other two of the four available slots. The RAM is in pairs, have tried with just one too, just to see. I got zero POST beeps under any circumstances thus far...which is frustrating. I figured I should get some but none so far.

jiarby

Does your MOBO have TWO power connectors... one by the PROC and the regular one?? Are the both plugged in?

ChiknNutz

Yes it does and yes both are plugged in. The main one is the large one and then there is a 4-prong connector. I got bit by this on another PC which was the first one I had built using both the power connectors. I guess all the newer ones have this now. Like I said before, this thing had been working great for a few months, so I had everything installed correctly at one point. I'm about ready to take it in as I don't want to start buying components that I don't know if I need or not...really just for test purposes, because everything is still new enough to all be under warranty...but I don't know what to check next?!

Border

Oops, sorry about yer problems. Here's another idea if all else fails.

Attachments

• habicase.jpg
    habicase.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 112
  • beer_pc1.jpg
    beer_pc1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 103

particleman

I have run into an issue similar to this. Power supply can provide enough juice on one rail to spin up the fans, but not other things sometimes. If you have a spare psu from another computer just to try I would sure do that first. Building a pc can be very frustrating without known good components to swap out in case of situations like this. Otherwise, my next guess would be video card.

I have put together alot of pcs, in my experience the power supply is normally the most prone to failure and often cheaply built unless you buy a really nice one. Ram is typically the next trouble maker, but it appears yours is ok.

sarge

this may come in too late .. but i had the same deal a long time ago and didnt think of it until just now .. could it be the video cable? .. no beeps could be that you have the plug in backwards from the case to the motherboard .. that could be your problem as well .. those plugs can go in backwards