• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealer refuses to sell just parts

WildWestDesigns

They are trying to say we aren't allowed to maintain our own merchandise that we paid a premium for and is way out of warranty? Its like Chevrolet saying we cant change our own oil or brakes on a 12 year old truck.

It's not just happening here. I can easily imagine where it's going to be hard to do even computer repair (yourself or thru 3rd party), especially if bought something through an OEM. From what I've been reading, it's usually through slight of hand by confusing definitions of what constitutes a legit repair versus something that is using "counterfeit" parts.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Which Roland model is it?
We used to buy our captops from ebay at 1/5th the price Roland were charging so could afford to change them more often.

sidcon

Which Roland model is it?
We used to buy our captops from ebay at 1/5th the price Roland were charging so could afford to change them more often.
This one needing the captop is a VS640. We ordered a few yesterday to keep on hand and thank you all for your help on where to buy. Just have to wait till it gets here in the mail and hope we don't get to backed up.

Mascitti Bro

Sad thing now is I was going to finally pull the trigger on a new VG640 in May with them. I don't want to buy anything from them now and not sure what to do with that purchase. It takes under 2 minutes to change a dang cap top that a monkey cad do and they want to charge me dealer labor rate to come out and change it for me? I feel like Im in a communist country or in the twilite zone
My first thought is that you make one final "reach out" to them, but this time talk to the Equipment sales dept. and would mention your up-coming purchase and though you like their product, you will need them to change their policy regarding buying parts from them over the counter before you'd consider spending that kind of money with them again. (A sales dept. will move mountains when being leveraged, is my experience.)

player

Digiprint sells both the Roland caps and wipers and cheapies. I ordered some cheapy wipers. They told me they had the cloth on the back but they don't, which is hard on the heads. I order 1 cheap captop and I wouldn't use it.

Hi all, has anyone ever had this issue that your Roland dealer won’t sell you maintence parts? They told me they have to install them and can’t sell just the parts. And we only have one one dealer in my area. I just need a cap top and wipers like today. I don’t trust the chinese cap tops, has anyone had luck with them? I can’t believe they won’t sell them to me.i never heard of this before.
Hello Sidcon, Thank you for being a Roland customer. For a list of consumable items available for sale, please email our Roland Support group at Rxpress@rolanddga.com

MOD EDIT

Last edited:

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Do a quick search for John Deere- Right to repair.
Things are getting crazy out there, Glad I'm not a farmer.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
1 platform seems to require certain diag software to repair/diag hardware/software reliably. Making it hard to do it yourself or go to a 3rd party for certain repairs.

Apple is the biggest culprit in this area but anyone making an all in one device these days is doing exactly the same thing. That's why I build my own. No warranty but I get complete control over the system instead of having to go to an Apple store and pay $1000 to fix a $2000 laptop that has $700 worth of components in it.

WildWestDesigns

Apple is the biggest culprit in this area but anyone making an all in one device these days is doing exactly the same thing.

Yep. I think with Apple it applies to anything with the T2 chip in it, which isn't just their all in ones, but don't quote me on that.

I can see this as an issue with any OEM vendor, regardless if it's all in one or traditional desktop/laptop etc.

Now, the thing with Apple is that they technically don't allow their OSs on 3rd party hardware (hackintosh is technically illegal and some things won't work right unless you spoof hardware), so building one's own computer system is a non starter for quite a few people.

That's why I build my own. No warranty but I get complete control over the system instead of having to go to an Apple store and pay $1000 to fix a $2000 laptop that has $700 worth of components in it.

I've started building my own for going on 2 decades now, best thing that I started doing. Although that Sony Vaio Win 98 laptop (still have it) was my last, and fav, OEM computer. Lasted 6rs running production on it.

The thing that I like about building my own (even with my own kit 3D printer) is that I can "hack" on it and no worries. Even with my OS, I can fix something and not have to wait until an update fix (if it does come) to hopefully fix that issue and not break something else.

Jim Hill

China must be licking their chops with Roland Dealers refusing to sell just parts.

I know this may sound crazy but I enjoy fixing my own printer and since it has been out of warranty for years I really don't thing Roland cares much anyway.
I guess I will have to just use parts made some where else from now on like it or not.

Jim

sidcon

Just don't buy them from https://www.ebay.com/itm/Capping-station-Cap-Top-for-Roland-FH-740-RA-640-RE-640-VS-640-VS-540-VS-420/183674023938?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
We ordered this one to tide us over till the others came in since it was free 2 day shipping. The lip is much taller not allowing the head and cap to separate allowing proper drainage of the cap and just pools ink during a cleaning cycle. Top pic is of the new cap, can see the 3mm height difference, just enough to keep a seal during the whole cleaning cycle.

Last edited:

player

Why did you not use or like the cap top from Digiprint?

Jim
The rubber seemed cheap, and I think the hose diameter was a little smaller. For the price of OEM caps I am not interested in my heads drying out for a weekend if the cheapies fail and I don't notice. Four DX4 heads installed (If you install them or pay to have them installed) are way more money than the difference between cheap and OEM caps. Not to mention the cost of downtime. All this risk for about $100 every couple of years.

woolly

didiprint do there own make cap top and original one for the vs after about 6 cheaps one had to concede and use a real oem one, just could not get the cheap one to seal properly they were dimensional correct thought the rubber to be to stiff