• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dealing with customers....

slappy

How do you respond when a customer ask you.....

"What is your last name?"

Also, do your print your entire name on your business cards?

Just wondering what people do now-a days with all the crime and identity issues.

slappy

how do i erase this and make it a voting pole,..... can i still attach a pole? That probably would have been a better idea:banghead:

d fleming

Actually, most customers think we named the business after a nearby community called Fleming Island. They are surprised to find out it's our last name.

letterman7

With several people in my area sharing my name (oddly), my first and last is on my business cards. Seems to just stimulate conversation if the people actually know the other folks!

skyhigh

you really have to get suspicious when they ask for your mothers maiden name....LOL

I'm usually one of those people that ask for a last name. Of course, I live in a very small community..... so generally I will know someone in their family, or have mutual friends.
(and I'm nosey)

Part of being in business tho....you have to put yourself out there.

westpointsigns

First & Last name on my cards and I do get asked what my last name is a lot because I'm a transplant in this small town...even though it's been 13 years now.

Flame

You're paranoid about people knowing your last name? Man you need to chill girl haha. That shouldn't even be a thought to pop into your head.

First and last name on a card, otherwise it's unprofessional IMO.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes, one can be caught off guard and when asked this kinda question, out of the blue, it can send up all kinds of red flags.

• Is this person some kinda pervert ??
  • Is this person gathering information I don't want him/her to have ??
  • Is this person getting too personal ??
  • Is this person being too nosy ??
  • Is this person gonna be waiting for me sometime ??
  • Is this person gonna look up where I live ??

It could happen, so I'd just kiddingly say, whatcha need that fer ?? Writing a book ??

If they are just wondering if you're the owner or related to the owner, nothing much to it. Otherwise, they'll just say.... Oh, I don't know, just was wondering.

As for on the card, it kinda says it all. You are letting yourself wide open, but I don't think people are gonna do-ya-in by knowing your last name.

Be the judge and post a picture up in back of you that states, these premises guarded by a double-barrel sawed off..... or shotgun warning.jpg

GypsyGraphics

on line i would NEVER use my first and last name... but in person, or someone i'm doing business with... HECK YEAH.
i'd be suspicious of anyone i was going to do business with that had to hide their name.
who does that... well besides maybe a drug dealer or a bookie?

NOT putting your last name on a business card... i've NEVER seen that before. like Flame said... strikes me as unprofessional.

Marie

I always get a bad vibe when I have a customer who doesn't want to give his last name - so yeah, I always give my first and last name in a business setting . . . or what is even a little weirder to me is a customer who won't give his / her first name. I have one customer who I only know as "Mrs. Chapman".

slappy

So when the person asked your last name, did you tell them?

Yeah... i told them it was Smith :rolleyes:

I wouldn't call it paranoid. I just deal with, how to put, another spectrum of people that don't come in for signs i guess.
We get 10+ walk-ins a day. Really no reason to include our names on our business cards unless i was handing out my card to people to call me directly. Ours are set on the counter for them to grab.

I'm kinda like a family owned type "autozone" with a sign shop inside for those that do not know what i do. More truck stuff then signs with a showroom full of mudflaps, fender flares, tonneau covers, rims, chrome and other truck related stuff.

I get the occasional weirdo in also that i cannot wait to get out.

Pole? or Poll?

poll, my bad

Bly

Man I don't even give them my first name... can't be too careful these days you know.

Jillbeans

I'm proud of my last name, I come from a big family with a good reputation and my surname has opened many doors for me.
I've never had a client ask me for it, but it's on all my bizcards.
Love....Jill

401Graphics

No name on my business cards.
No name in my email signature either.
I do give my name when asked by a customer though, just seems weird not to.

Last edited:

Z SIGNS

I would be leary of anyone I was doing business with that was afraid to introduce themselves properly.What happens when your sitting in front of some big client proposing a 100k job. Do you keep your name a mystery? No one has ever asked me my last name because when we first meet I introduce myself.Sounds like you are paranoid or you have a clientele of miscreants.
If your still afraid to give your name you could always make up an alais.