• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with fills for digital

gabagoo

I use Photoprint 5 and sometimes run into issues from illustrator files.

This particular issue deals with the colour black. Designers use 100k only and I have to go in and chnage it to a richer cmyk to print properly. These files the way they design are sometimes devoid of a fill. I don't know if it is the software bringing in the file or just illustrator. So in this file I can view just the black and marquee it and change it to what I want (usually an avery swatch of black) the problem is that some of the black changes and the rest completely fills in the shape it was attached to as it was a stroke on white, so the white is gone. OK I go back and figure out what is a stroke and what isn't. Now here is the issue. The stroke tool in this software allows you to change the colour of the stroke but not the cmyk values. Also when I change the black shapes to the black that I want some of the gradients of blue have gone completely solid blue, I have no idea how but I caught it and the next issue in line with this is that I was pretty sure there was a blue gradient but not positive so I decided to reimport the file that I had saved nto the same page to make sure. I did and that file also had a solid blue. Good thing that it still bothered me and I thought did I imagine I saw a blue gradient? So I save what I had done and started fresh and reimported the eps file that was emailed to me and yup there was the blue gradient. So now I have a secondary problem here and I wonder how many times I may have missed it in the past. (no one has said anything so I will assume the best lol) I opened this file yesterday and only saved it into Flexi so I could open it this morning and print. In that file the blue gradient was there. When I imported that same file into itself this morning when I had the black issue it was not there. Only when I started from scratch did I finally see that indeed it was there. Whats going on here and how could Flexi do that? I will now be very suspect of any and all files previously saved.

I think I may have complicated this thread as I now have 2 issues here.
1) dealing with stroke data and changing the cmyk values of the stroke data

2) files reimported into an existing file will show wrong data

jiarby

you can set your RIP profiles to automatically use 40-30-20-100 whenever it sees 0-0-0-100...

then you don't have to mess with the files.

gabagoo

yea, tell me where ...

I re read my post and i can see outside of the black issue it makes no sense at all but somewhere in that post there was logic, not sure now though...lol

Techman

Explore your rip. Theres a ton of stuff under the hood. If you never saw the color adjustment page then your haven't studied your RIP enuf.

Marie

Either send it back to the designer and have them re-do it with the specs you need for proper output, or charge an extra fee for all the file prep work you are having to do on their "file ready" work.