• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dear PEPSI...I hate you!

visual800

Not only does the economy still suck but here comes PEPSI further ruining our lives. Trust me kids, you CANNOT COMPETE AGAINST FREE! It will win everytime.

Attachments

• pepsi.jpg
    pepsi.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 86

JBusch260

Ouch... Your design blows that one away for sure. Sorry about the burn. Hopefully they'll come crawling back in the future. The sign they went with does nothing to entice an empty stomach.

JgS

Personally, I think they did you a favor. It looks like that client was going to be a hassle.

d fleming

Are they giving him a banner or hard sign? The beer and soda distributors in our area only print aqueous based inks. Who is installing and pulling permits? When it fades in 6 months what then? Maybe there is still some work for you in it. But yes, they need to stay out of the sign business. A phone call to regional pepsi might bare some fruit.

Marlene

in my area, both Coke and Pepsi use us and other local sign companies to design and make their signs. do they do that where you are? if so, you might want to take your design, add a pepsi logo and send it to them and tell them that you are interested in making signs for them. our "free"signs we've made for both have been anything thing from sign cabinets with faces to sandblasted. if you can't fight them , try to join them.

your design was awesome so since they might want a real designer making signs for them

Baz

It sucks but what can you do. I don't blame the client going for "free" but it will reflect on his business. And as others have pointed out. What will happen in a year or so when that sign will start to be affected by the weather. Chances are you will get a call at some point.

This isn't new at all. Many old lighted signs were produced by corporations and then a business could just add it's name. Cola - Beer - Cigarettes just to name a few.

OldPaint

me and another sign painter was doing work for the local pepsi co.............iam there one day hanging some signs at their dispatch area. the guy dispatcing, comes to me and askes if i will show him how to work their new plotter))))))))) then he tells me that its his new job when the trucks are all gone to make cut vinyl)))))))))) same crap happened in sarasota when i lived there. talented painter was doing all of BUDWEISERS signs & trucks. they got a printer....and asked my freind to come instruct their $5.00 an hour employee........HOW TO MAKE GRAPHICS)))))) i wont tell you what he told them.

David Wright

What do mean you don't blame him. He took and ugly and totally ineffective sign just because it is free.
It will impact the downfall of his business and hurt yours. He should have enough sense business or otherwise
to know better.
I blame him.

Mosh

Well I can not understand why we are not selling as many horse-shoes. People are going to find out them new fangled cars have to be fed this gasoline stuff.....I can't tell you what my what my farrier told them....LOL

Baz

What do mean you don't blame him. He took and ugly and totally ineffective sign just because it is free.
It will impact the downfall of his business and hurt yours. He should have enough sense business or otherwise
to know better.
I blame him.

Like i said ... I don't blame him. Blah Blah Blah it will affect his business and all of that. But think about it for a second.

This is a lunch place.

If their food is any good it won't matter what kind of sign is on there. They will survive. Now i am sceptical. If their mentality about spending on signs is the same as spending on produce then it won't take long they will go down ... Nice sign or not.

trakers

Oh my, *very* hot button for me. Having such a small market is bad enough, now virtually every banner and a LOT of perf is going up locally courtesy of Pepsi and the beer companies.

In fact, before we purchased our printer we asked our salesman if there was one locally we could check out. He tried to get us to go to the local Pepsi distributor, so I know at least back then they had the exact same equipment we purchased.

Everyone can argue all they want, but I agree with the fella above, at least in this market, you cannot compete with free on those sorts of items. And I don't blame the business getting the free stuff.

You know the old joke about Pepsi? If you see a Pepsi car outside a sign company it will be there a LONG time because they have that SOB tied up in the back room.

What's worse, at least for me since I'm a fitness nut, is that they hugely profit from making our population obese and diabetic, but that's a whole nother conversation.

:banghead:

Marlene

Like i said ... I don't blame him. Blah Blah Blah it will affect his business and all of that. But think about it for a second.

This is a lunch place.

If their food is any good it won't matter what kind of sign is on there. They will survive. Now i am sceptical. If their mentality about spending on signs is the same as spending on produce then it won't take long they will go down ... Nice sign or not.

most of the places Pepsi and Coke give signs to are small mom and pop stores and restaurants. if a nice sign cost $3000 plus and one of the soda companies comes to you and says we'll do the sign for free, most moms and pops will go for it as there are expenses in opening a new business and to be able to cut that much is a big deal for them. I don't blame them for gong for it. the ones we've made are the same I'd make if they came directly to me. the only difference is there's a Pepsi or Coke logo added to it.

jfiscus

Rap Master
hmmmm, looks a LOT more like they gave them a free banner.
You get what you pay for, and the free banner/sign is selling Pepsi, NOT their restaurant.
So, I predict that unless they have REALLY good food that banner is not gonna bring in new business and they'll be out of business soon and wont ever figure out why.

You can't compete with free, don't even worry about trying, but as said above if you're competing with free - you're doing it wrong. Selling on price point alone will NEVER get you loyal customers. Customers need to be getting a fair price from you for your services, but they also need to be educated on WHY they're buying from you (and why they don't want free). You are in the advertising business first; and the sign business second.

FWIW, we print wraps for Pepsi up here in KY, and also install wraps that they print in-house. Doing two semis this week!

royster13

Stuff from Pepsi, or Coke or Coors, etc. may be free but it has a huge cost.....Generally you are locked into buying from their distributor versus elsewhere.....For example one of my pizza clients told me 20 oz. Pepsi is 1.00+ each from them versus 1.99 for a 6 pack of 24 oz. bottles at Walmart or Safeway...