• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Decal printing

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I could do them on our Roland in two days. Cutting them apart will be the PITA!!!

Not that big of a job only $3,200 or so. Sounds like you don't have equipment now, you know there is a learning time on these machines, that is why I still say pass.

But according to you.... you have three [3] Rolands. Are you taking that into consideration ??

The job would probably take between 22 and 28 hours with the cutting..... but with no problems, head-strikes, changing out rolls, skewing, misfires or any of the many little things that usually accompany long runs. The cost of ink and the media, plus off-fall/waste all come into play and if you can do this and if you can do it in two days, you must mean 24 solid hour days. Then, as you've pointed out, you need to cut this down, unless you're gonna give them a rolled up mass.

Rupsty

We have a flatbed UV and mild solvent roll to roll. The ink on either machine will be too gummy to cut right away. Even UV isn't 100% dried after going through. If your bleed is at all built up with ink, it's nearly impossible. A job we got from a member here at s101 a long time ago was for like 14,000 2.5" x 14" labels. We printed them and worked basically round the clock and got them done in about 6 days. There was no bleed. That's what saved our butts. We got paid well and the customer was totally pleased and repeated this order several more times. The other difference was.... the machine was bought and paid for on the very first job we ever did with it probably a year earlier than that.

There are various schools of thought on how to purchase, use credit or just go haphazardly into debt.

I'm old school. Everything we ever bought except for our building.... was bought cash on the barrel head. In each and every case, we had jobs pending, which enabled us to have the cash to pay for the equipment. We also made sure that not only enough cash was in our hands to pay for the machinery, but we turned a profit and had money left over after the purchase to go have fun.

I would never buy a $50k, $85k or 100k piece of equipment with only a $3,000 possible order pending and nothing else to back it up. What if what they tell you falls through or they find someone else to do it just a little cheaper ?? It's not good business sense with the other part of your business.... to pay Paul by robbing Peter. Simply wanting something to make life easier is not better than subbing and spending wisely and letting your money make money. :thumb:

Hi Geno,

Thank you for the time to write this stuff. It's very enlightening and I truly appreciate it. My company operates in a similar way - we owe nothing and any piece of equipment we buy.

The 3k order is usually a bi or tri monthly order. The quantity us usually less - I only gave the 8k as a maximum to see what the limits are. The order size is usually in the 3 to 5k unit range.

You are right - having only a little work to justify spending a lot of money is crazy. This purchase is 3-4 months away. I'm trying to set sales up now. It's possible but not easy. It's hard to tell your clients to give you another type of work when they know you don't already do it and they already have sources for it. But my company is in a better position because we create and control many, many images for POS. And I want to capture more of the money, instead of it leaving our shop for good. And that's why I'm picking the brains of everyone in this forum - because there's lot's of valuable info here!

We have two Epsons that run all day, every day. We do very well with them. Now I just need to get our client's confidence that we can do the production work. Some of my clients actually need to do these shorter run projects so that's where I could fill the gap. They're used to using very large production facilities and even those facilities aren't geared for such small runs. To these printers, 8k units on a decal is small potatoes.

Anyhow, I'm pressing on with my research...

Thanks again!

Keep those ideas coming!!

longlivemedia

Yes, there are a lot of printing companies you can contact for that. There are also those who even offer one-day turn around.

Pat Whatley

Forget trying to do it yourself. Sub them out to somebody like MAVERICK LABEL....come out to about 35¢ each and you don't have to do anything but send them the artwork.

Doing it yourself you're gonna have to work a long, long time to justify a $50,000 machine it that's all you're gonna need it for.

heyskull

I don't know about you guys but something is very strange about this thread!

Why want to make something that has such tight deadlines and so little money in it?
Some people are all for making their life hell.
My personal advice is walk away from this job or you will be burnt!
This sound as if the customer is telling you what they want and how much it is going to be!!!!

Run Forrest Run......

SC

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
To take on this project is a bad idea and makes no sense financially I don't understand why you ask for advice from all these experienced companies that are suggesting you outsource it and continue to try and justify buying your own equipment. OUTSOURCE IT and do yourself a huge favor.

:peace!:
:rock-n-roll:

Rupsty

?

I'm asking for advice from all these experienced guys so I can learn. And guess what - I haven't spent a penny on it. Know why? Because I learned.

My client is asking if we can do something. I'm trying to figure out it it's worth it to even try. If we can't do it, I tell them no and they should go to someone else.

The overwhelming response is that I shouldn't do it. I completely understand it. And again, I've spent zero dollars on it.

I don't understand what's weird about asking questions. My business is a success in part because I ask a lot of questions. To all those who tried to help and offer well thought out advice, I thank you.

Billct2

So find a better source for your client that has better qulaity and you will still have a happy customer without the hassle of actually doing the job.

gabagoo

so they want you to match the price of the crappy decals that they are not happy with, and provide a nice decal?

Kinda like going to a lexus dealer and telling them if they can match the price of the kia dealer, they got a deal!
Hey c'mon Scott.... I drive a Kia!!!!

WCSign

not laminated? if it wasnt on expensive low tack material I would do them on my roland at that price.. especially if its a recurring thing.

I do 4 inch stickers laminated for .35 cents each all day long. (for recurring contract clients and friends) I understand that my situation may be different, but ive found that my printer works better when its constantly printing and if its not printing anything, then im not making ANY money

the fact that it has to be on an expensive material changes the game and adds about 50 cents per square foot to the cost

JMDigital

I'm asking for advice from all these experienced guys so I can learn. And guess what - I haven't spent a penny on it. Know why? Because I learned.

I understand where you are coming from. I have not seen one question, does this client make you steady money? This sounds like a long time client asking for something you normally do not do for them. All the advice I have seen is good.. my favorite is source it out.. Don't send your client somewhere else that may do a great job then steal the jobs you do for them. Be the one stop shop for all the printing they need. Do what you do best outsource the rest.

just my opinion..

good luck..

Rupsty

my client

The whole purpose of this exercise is to figure out how I can start doing digital printing. I have a lot of clients. But I'm not a digital printer. However, I see a lot of potential for me in this market. As to which market segment to chase, I don't know yet. This is all exploratory work. If I had equipment suited for the decal work, I would have the business. No question. But for me it's a matter of finding equipment flexible enough to do more than decals. My client does A LOT of digital printing as well as offset. They need outdoor, point of sale, ads, and just about everything in between. I'm trying to figure out the most reasonable, realistic way of getting into this market. I also have other clients that may or may not give me work in this arena. I just need to make wise decisions about what I buy as far as equipment goes.

thanks!