• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Deciding to go my own way. Logo critique.

CanuckSigns

How does he make any money? every church around here is looking for a handout, I would hate to have the majority of my customer base like this

No it does not. But you would think so if you read the readerboard under our sign. My boss is a strong christian (which is why I fit in so well there). And alot of his customer base is churches or other christian related businesses. Which is not what I'm going after. I just thought I would try to incorporate some of my beliefs as subtle as possible in either the name or presence of the company.

signmeup

I avoid religious people when possible. They creep me out. Just sayin'.

As far as a name...I'm still trying to think up a good one for me so I can't help you there. You can do what I did. Just pick one and get on with your life. I think we care more about our names than our customers do.

SignsNowOH

To answer some of your questions. Yes I have a business plan. The Signs for Life thing is kind of neat. I'm going to sit down with my family today and play a little game called name the sign shop. Brainstorm some ideas with them. They might come up with the name. In a way I'm sorry I even posted but in another I thank everyone for the information, whether it be good or bad. I will keep you guys posted on what I decide to name my company. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

it is unfortunate that people expect to post something and receive only positive comments or comments that only agree with their position.

i am sorry Mr. Deaton and others can not understand the position that not everyone feels the same way about your faith and how you choose to exhibit it.

in my opinion there is much more value in the comments that are different than your own opinion. that does not make those comments right or wrong but if everyone agreed with your personal opinion why bother?

it is all in how you choose to use those opinions..unfortunately some people are so stuck on their own positions and the defense of their positions that they miss any and all value that could be gained.

Ponto

it is unfortunate that people expect to post something and receive only positive comments or comments that only agree with their position.

i am sorry Mr. Deaton and others can not understand the position that not everyone feels the same way about your faith and how you choose to exhibit it.

in my opinion there is much more value in the comments that are different than your own opinion. that does not make those comments right or wrong but if everyone agreed with your personal opinion why bother?

it is all in how you choose to use those opinions..unfortunately some people are so stuck on their own positions and the defense of their positions that they miss any and all value that could be gained.

:goodpost:

When you HEAR opposing rationale I suppose the immediate response is to assume a defensive posture. At that point I try to evaluate, with an open mind (hard to do at times), the contradictory viewpoint and see if I can benefit from it. We are all our own worst enemy at times...

JP

signmeup

Dan....what on earth are you talking about? Here is the original post;

"Well things are really slow at the shop and I'm debating going my own way. Kinda thought up a name Emerge Signs and somewhat have a logo for it. I'm not stuck on it and really can't come up with any other ideas for a design. Guess this is where you guys come in handy. Any ideas come to mind to make this image better? Kinda going for a corporate theme but not opposed to a grunge/industrial thing either (I've been really getting into that type of design lately but have no idea on what I want the logo to portray in that standpoint.) Thanks for any advice!"

Where do you get a "position" from this simple request? The poor guy posts a request for a logo critique and is attacked on all sides for no apparent reason. Wow! Some people on here need to lighten up....big time. Dan, your getting in a few good licks and you didn't even read the first post. Mob mentality dude....then Ponto agrees with you. Guess he didn't read it either.

iSign

The poor guy posts a request for a logo critique and is attacked on all sides for no apparent reason. Wow! Some people on here need to lighten up

"attacked"? ...more like Helped on all sides
actually... but just not the help he requires!

...maybe you ONLY read the first post... how 'bout this one:

Wow I didn't come in here to debate about my reasons for starting a business. I've did my time...

...I'm not a noobie that just bought a cutter and plan to get rich. I know what it takes to build a successful shop...

...I am just looking for some constructive criticism or people that actually take time out of their busy day to layout some quick ideas to get my brain jump started is greatly appreciated...

...No need for business advice...

(unsolicited advice is still "help" if it's given in the spirit of possibly benefiting the recipient. "attack" would be more like the crap you've been dishing out on this thread)

speedmedia

I'll agree with dropping the Christian symbols. Everytime I see a religious reference in a logo that doesn't need to be there, I avoid. With my experience, 'Christian' businesses have conducted some of the most underhanded, unethical business practices and the last one was a 'you can trust me, I'm a christian' owner that screwed his business partner for 20K.

I have to agree. I run if I seen anything with inspiration from religion in a business.

I have been taken by more "good christians" than I care to count. I am not lumping them together but I can almost smell a fake when they drop this crap...I think you would be surprised at the amount of people think the same way.

Thanks,
Kurt

signmeup

"attacked"? ...more like Helped on all sides
actually... but just not the help he requires!

...maybe you ONLY read the first post... how 'bout this one:

(unsolicited advice is still "help" if it's given in the spirit of possibly benefiting the recipient. "attack" would be more like the crap you've been dishing out on this thread)
I read all the posts Doug. Twice. The guy asked for logo advise and got everything but. In my opinion, he has conducted himself way better than most people would have. Read the thread again and see if you don't agree.

I don't think I attacked anyone....I did point out some people that were being "less than helpful".

Ponto

"... Some people on here need to lighten up....big time. Dan, your getting in a few good licks and you didn't even read the first post. Mob mentality dude....then Ponto agrees with you. Guess he didn't read it either.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary... I've followed this thread and am enjoying the responses (positive and negative) but the flow of discussion has progressed beyond the original post and perhaps you have not been following as thoroughly as you could...

JP

Sign Works

Looks like Signs Now and Fast Signs logos merged with a color change, don't like , start over, be more original. A good place to look for ideas and inspiration is Sign Craft magazine.

kev3232

prowraps has a cool logo that could bite like everyone else has.

also, why would you want to go into wholesale??

signs2trade

YOUR LOGO REFLECTS SIGNS NOW image!!!! christian sign shop.........way to many now...........leave your religion at the gate...........if your gona do BUSINESS..........dont drag religion into it.
I agree.....using Religion is really cheesy. I run from companies that use religion as as way to attract business. Your actions while interacting with customers should show them what your about.

signmeup

"... Some people on here need to lighten up....big time. Dan, your getting in a few good licks and you didn't even read the first post. Mob mentality dude....then Ponto agrees with you. Guess he didn't read it either.

On the contrary... I've followed this thread and am enjoying the responses (positive and negative) but the flow of discussion has progressed beyond the original post and perhaps you have not been following as thoroughly as you could...

JP[/QUOTE]
Let's see if I've been following along then shall we. Original post was for a logo critique. First responce was to the effect that the original poster should not attempt to start a business. The OP (original poster....not the real OP) says he can start a business because he has 9 years experience. At some point he lets it slip that he is a Christian and would like to keep that in mind when making suggestions about his logo. Various posters decide the OP's business name sucks. Isign suggests a name the OP doesn't care for so takes his ball and storms off home....then comes back (after I point out that people are way off topic here and the OP doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting) to inform me that off topic unsolicited advice is still "help".

How about the next time someone asks for a logo critique we give them a recipe for egg salad?

Dan....what on earth are you talking about? Here is the original post;

"Well things are really slow at the shop and I'm debating going my own way. Kinda thought up a name Emerge Signs and somewhat have a logo for it. I'm not stuck on it and really can't come up with any other ideas for a design. Guess this is where you guys come in handy. Any ideas come to mind to make this image better? Kinda going for a corporate theme but not opposed to a grunge/industrial thing either (I've been really getting into that type of design lately but have no idea on what I want the logo to portray in that standpoint.) Thanks for any advice!"

Where do you get a "position" from this simple request? The poor guy posts a request for a logo critique and is attacked on all sides for no apparent reason. Wow! Some people on here need to lighten up....big time. Dan, your getting in a few good licks and you didn't even read the first post. Mob mentality dude....then Ponto agrees with you. Guess he didn't read it either.

HUH? did you dip into the sauce or something early today...? feel like i am in the twilight zone after reading your reply...

but whatever....

my guess is that the opinion(s) about religion in business ruffled your panties ..

signmeup

HUH? did you dip into the sauce or something early today...? feel like i am in the twilight zone after reading your reply...

but whatever....

my guess is that the opinion(s) about religion in business ruffled your panties ..
Dan,

I'm afraid I'm out of beer and I'm not wearing any panties. :wink:

I actually agree with not getting religion mixed up into business. I still don't see why some people got so worked up over this OP's request for a logo critique. What did you think of the logo? I guess it doesn't matter now as the business name is going to be changed.

Deaton Design

Mr Striker, I wasnt griping about the opinions on faith, thats each persons business, just some of the comments come off as not constructive criticism, or an attempt to help, but just off the cuff remarks. We have a vast knowledge base here, many people that know many things from design to how to setup business plans, etc. ALot of the time, they are thrown aside for a remark like, That sucks, Start over, get someone else to do it, etc. Im just saying...
All things else aside though, I hope everyone is having a good thanksgiving.:)