• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

delete

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya think so ?? I don't. He jumped in the deep end and was foundering and I think we helped to save him, before he made a big mistake. Perhaps, he will just sit and think harder about this stuff. Sure, he got p!ssed off, but don't we all when our thoughts are found out to be flawed ?? He'll be back and maybe it'll work better for him.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ya think so ?? I don't. He jumped in the deep end and was foundering and I think we helped to save him, before he made a big mistake. Perhaps, he will just sit and think harder about this stuff. Sure, he got p!ssed off, but don't we all when our thoughts are found out to be flawed ?? He'll be back and maybe it'll work better for him.

For the record, I'm standing with him...say what you will. Nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm for the guy (or gal) running their entire business from the kitchen table, or the dashboard of their truck. I'm for the underdog, the bootstrapper, the scrappiest of the scrappy, and even the down-and-outers who don't even know what questions to ask. Believe it or not, honest ignorance can be a powerful thing for the good, and I'm living proof. Big doors swing on little hinges, and sometimes all it takes is time.

I've been there, and I've never forgotten SS&G_Seattle

JB

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I am all for helping a new guy trying to break out on their own. Problem here was that seemingly smug attitude and the I can do it all but know nothing mentality. If you want help then be humble. Most people looking to start a business have questions about specific things, this guy was digging for a how to guide. Who do you target, how do you target them and then the whole sales is easy, I got this. That's a profession and requires talent that good reps spend their careers perfecting. So minimizing the various aspects of running a business comes across as insulting and arrogant. It's no different than some kid coming in here saying that hes great at drawing so making signs will be a cake walk..... Now tell me how to do it.

SS&G_Seattle

I am all for helping a new guy trying to break out on their own. Problem here was that seemingly smug attitude and the I can do it all but know nothing mentality. If you want help then be humble. Most people looking to start a business have questions about specific things, this guy was digging for a how to guide. Who do you target, how do you target them and then the whole sales is easy, I got this. That's a profession and requires talent that good reps spend their careers perfecting. So minimizing the various aspects of running a business comes across as insulting and arrogant. It's no different than some kid coming in here saying that hes great at drawing so making signs will be a cake walk..... So tell me how to do it.

Respect you, understood. I deleted my post because the very topic was naive and non-constructive. You guys showed me my weakness (sales), so you all did add value. I over simplified and that's not what I meant to do. I was mainly looking for your stories, and I got a few, for which I am appreciative.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm so confused. Did I miss something? All this conversation based on this post...

"Go on, delete it. This community is something else."

SS&G_Seattle

I'm so confused. Did I miss something? All this conversation based on this post...

I asked for too much guidance and the team gave me a hard time for being naive. Gino would have something else to say though, lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For the record, I'm standing with him...say what you will. Nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm for the guy (or gal) running their entire business from the kitchen table, or the dashboard of their truck. I'm for the underdog, the bootstrapper, the scrappiest of the scrappy, and even the down-and-outers who don't even know what questions to ask. Believe it or not, honest ignorance can be a powerful thing for the good, and I'm living proof. Big doors swing on little hinges, and sometimes all it takes is time.

I've been there, and I've never forgotten SS&G_Seattle

JB

I don't think anyone here really cares where you stand..... with him or on your own. We're not here to take up sides, but more to help those who honestly want/need help. The area someone needs help does not necessarily become a black & white problem. If you're drawing lines in the sand about this, I think you've missed the boat, too.

Surprises are not what this place is about, nor is the classroom or the workfield of any industry. However, it does help to know something about the job you hope to land. Know the basics and you should be able to at least function. One doesn't go to a job interview to be the head cook at a restaurant and not know how to cook an egg or make toast. Why come here and ignore almost every effort made to help you with unwarranted comebacks ??

If you already know the answers why ask questions ?? Is it confirmation you want ?? Pats on the back ?? What ??

I've said almost from day one...... if someone is willing to ask questions, no matter how silly or mundane..... if they are honestly trying and willing to help themselves and not just takers, I will bend over backwards to help him, her or them. I can't tell ya how many people I've taught to hand paint over the years. How many I've helped and tutored with composition, elements, light, vanishing points, 1 and 2 point, shadowing and other parts of lettering and pictorial work. This place is no different, except you must take people at their word and not invent storylines to go emotionally along with their dreams. You can only act on the information given. To go beyond that, you need to extract things from them. If they do it willingly, great, if they are stubborn and give lip...... after about 15 years here, I give up a little faster than I used to. But, it's easier to see through them today, than yesteryear.

We've all been there, unless we inherited a business of some sorts...... and even then, it doesn't mean they will follow through profitable. There are jerks on both sides of the fence.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Respect you, understood. I deleted my post because the very topic was naive and non-constructive. You guys showed me my weakness (sales), so you all did add value. I over simplified and that's not what I meant to do. I was mainly looking for your stories, and I got a few, for which I am appreciative.

You might've done it for your own reasons, but now the whole community has no idea what's going on, like I said would happen. You created a problem, didn't like the outcome and took your ball home. Not cool, not at all.

I asked for too much guidance and the team gave me a hard time for being naive. Gino would have something else to say though, lol

Now, I said I'm willing to help, but not if you're gonna purposely start problems and play reindeer games. You posted a rather good OP yesterday and took it down abut 24 hours later, cause you were embarrassed. Wanna save face ?? That aint' the way. You took some pokes at me yesterday and some more today and I still reached out to you. Are you that much of a jerk to still be calling me out ?? Dafug is wrong with you ?? You want help or a fat lip ?? You sir, have p!sspoor communication traits and even less smarts. I now realize you are an ex-member here who has come back under some alias and has a few axes to grind. Therefore, I'll let go for the moment. Carry on SS

WildWestDesigns

One doesn't go to a job interview to be the head cook at a restaurant and not know how to cook an egg or make toast.

Ironically, that isn't the case as much as it once was. Meritocracy is taking the back seat for a lot of people. Those places tend to hurt in the long run, but that does seem to be the case of what's going on lately.

To the OP, as the original post has been removed, can't be of much help there as I didn't see this thread til today. Best that I can suggest is do your research, based on your profile info, you are in a state that I sure wouldn't want to be a small business in. Now, I'm from the outside looking in, so it may not be quite THAT bad, but from my digitizing clients (well former clients as they no longer have a business due to this past year) that are in that state. Now, ironically, depending a few things, it might be safer being self employed compared to working for someone else, but again, research. It's not going to be all rainbows and unicorns. It's not going to be fun and at times it might seem excruciating, but if you are well prepared, sticking it out should be worth it in the long run. But even then, there is no sure thing of success, but if you don't try and stick it out, then you'll never know.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

That's what you get for skipping class.. you miss out on today's lesson and need catching up. You can cheat off Gino's paper...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wha..... paper ?? SS took it home and won't let anyone see what he wrote. Musta been bad things cause the teacher mentioned his name, again.