• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design Critique

SignStudent

Soo I've just been playing around trying out different techniques to improve my designing skill. This is my first time doing prismatic text (hand-drawn) and I rarely have time to mess around with all the different effects. I already have a logo I'm happy with, this was just for fun/learning.

Do you see anything I could change to improve it i.e. font, color, etc? I'm trying to stop being such an amateur and put out halfway decent looking stuff. My shop windows have been bare for the last 4 months because I can't even figure out what the heck I want to put that will help sales and look professional.

Attachments

• SterlingSignsPrismatic.jpg
    SterlingSignsPrismatic.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 70

SignStudent

Just remembered a problem I ran into: the prismatic effect isn't perfect since I just eyeballed everything.

Someone in an old post on here was talking about how to find the center line of the text using a 1 step blend. Is anyone able to give a good explanation of how this is done for a noob?

I tried it on the letter R and it came out all screwed up, and I have no idea how to go about doing it on a letter with only one path like the S.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think these exercises are good, but you should study other peoples work....

I don't like too many effects unless the design calls for it. One designer I have always been impressed with is not afraid of effects and color, he balances all of it very well. I think his designs would work in black and white, but he makes them come alive.

It's worth a peek...

http://www.9surf.com/

Dave Drane

You need to get the logo first and then worry about the special effects. Although the prismatic looks good it generally only works on block letters as you have done, but design will win over effects every time.

Craig Sjoquist

Your convex is the simple version which is fine, the next step is on the rounded letter areas use a S curve to separate colors., which is more common, also you may want to give them more contrast.
As you learn and do them more 3 and 4 color and other effects to make them look more real.

signmeup

Check out the motion video on that surf9 website. Then check out the client list. Big time stuff there.

TheSellOut

pimped :)

What if you did silver and blue on the bottom and a gray back round.

Off to bed

I think it looks clean

I'm not sure if this is what Slightly meant but try "Sterling" in silver/grey and "signs and graphics" in blue!

I would lose the outline altogether but the white looks better than the black.

If you did it all in one color it would still look pretty plain.

HulkSmash

Here's my store front, with my windows covered. Do you know how many window Perf jobs i've gotten off of it??!!?!?

Attachments

• 37729_518033571181_177001110_30617258_4001508_n.jpg
    37729_518033571181_177001110_30617258_4001508_n.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 56

SlightlyChilled

Sorry it was late you can mix it how ever you like. The best part about PC's is how fast you can change color. Go nuts try all the colors you can think of.

I'm not sure if this is what Slightly meant but try "Sterling" in silver/grey and "signs and graphics" in blue!

I would lose the outline altogether but the white looks better than the black.

If you did it all in one color it would still look pretty plain.

SlightlyChilled

This is a trick question. But here it goes "none " people that walk in think you sell fish tanks or water.HAHAHA get it looks like the windows are half full of water. "That's a joke son" (fog horn leg horn) voice.

Here's my store front, with my windows covered. Do you know how many window Perf jobs i've gotten off of it??!!?!?