• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design Critique

SignStudent

I think these exercises are good, but you should study other peoples work....

I don't like too many effects unless the design calls for it. One designer I have always been impressed with is not afraid of effects and color, he balances all of it very well. I think his designs would work in black and white, but he makes them come alive.

It's worth a peek...

http://www.9surf.com/

Wow nice stuff. How would you suggest I go about finding other people's work to study? Just google graphic designers or do you have a list somewhere? I think I can get a lot of good inspiration out of that.

HulkSmash

Considering it has a description of what i do on each window, people have only come in for signs. And the Giant sign above it kind of helps as well. i got 5k of sq ft behind those windows!

speedmedia

I think these exercises are good, but you should study other peoples work....

I don't like too many effects unless the design calls for it. One designer I have always been impressed with is not afraid of effects and color, he balances all of it very well. I think his designs would work in black and white, but he makes them come alive.

It's worth a peek...

http://www.9surf.com/

WOW. Now that is great stuff! All newbs head over to that site and take note of what this person is doing. Everything has contrast, clean readability. Very nice work and fun to look at.

Thanks,
Kurt

SignManiac

Your layout suffers mostly from poor contrast issues and overuse of effects. One or two effects are fine, but not on every element.

SignStudent

Your layout suffers mostly from poor contrast issues and overuse of effects. One or two effects are fine, but not on every element.

Yeah I guess I probably went overboard. I had too much fun screwing around with different effects and ended up something ineffective. Though I must say 9surf sure does pull it off with a million effects lol.

Last edited:

signmeup

Though I must say 9surf sure does pull it off with a million effects lol.
I think a lot of that 9serf stuff is way overdone and hard to read. The logo section has some simple effective logos that are truely excellent but the "million effects" stuff isn't as good. Or at least it isn't my cup o' tea. The video stuff is awesome.