Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Design Crituqe

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by Texas_Signmaker, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    I was going to present these options for the customer... any thoughts on the designs? They are not redoing the wood frame, just the faces.

[​IMG]

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I like the yellow and black.

3. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Ha, it's not gonna matter what we all think. The customer will trash the whole thing and you'll end up with a but ugly sign.
    Otherwise I like the white one to start with but not gold text.
    Depending on how the "black" is made. The sun will cook that puppy and possibly warp the substrate.

4. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Black ACM doesn't hold up well?

I don't use it much but I have a realtor that I make black ACM signs for and some of the oldest are going on 3 years and they look fine after a few Texas summers. But yea they do get insanely hot, I can only handle them with gloves if they are exposed to sunlight for even a few mins.

5. tulsagraphics

tulsagraphics Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I haven't experienced any problems with black ACM -- but I always use a good brand. (avoid the knock-offs that use really thin aluminum).

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Middle one, but a pale blue for the CREEK and either the blue or green for post accent

• Like Like x 1
  7. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    3rd design.

2nd is squished and doesn't make use of the space.
    1st is boring, IMO.

Maybe add some detail to the inset columns instead of a solid fill.

8. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Instead of having everything justified center, left and right..... can you make for a nice focal point and have something jutting out a little further to make the flow a little more eventful ??

I'm partial to the center one, just not the spacing, colors and the posts are atrocious. Also, there's more emphasis on the finials than the sign itself. Maybe you could change them out, while you're at it.

9. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    The one on the right is the most balanced in its use of space, margins and type weights as well as prioritizing on the messaging. Lose the yellow accents to the posts and choose a darker, less confrontational color. Accents should accent, not compete with the main message. Those scream, STAY AWAY!

Our eyes are drawn to shapes and blocks of text in the order that they are presented to us via color, contrast, boldness, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Thanks, I changed it to all black and it looks more tasteful. The color I was going for was gold metallic because the client has another sign with that and likes it.

11. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    The one with the creek isn't horrid but the fonts are. What I don't think works with the other two is all the copy is the same length. The one with the creek is staggered and looks better. I'd change out the fonts and the colors and try working that one.

12. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    No matter what they choose I'll only be able to think of BBQ.

13. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    Atta boy. Marlene makes a really good point about how all three lines of text are the same length. I'd add that the letterspacing all being so similar is another place you could work on improving the aesthetics as well. Anybody who drives up knows its an apartment complex. Instead of stretching that line to match the other two, you could use a more condensed font and open the letterspacing way out to de-emphasize that message.

14. Breezy85

Breezy85 Member

May 23, 2018
    Auburn-Kent
    I guess depends. The first one is fine but maybe with different fonts/colors if you're not doing anything with the posts. Is the customer quoted to do something with the posts that are already there? If so, then I'd choose the third one with the black and gold with the fonts of the middle one.

15. Pippin Decals

Pippin Decals Active Member

May 29, 2015
    Redding,ca
    I like the first one.

16. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Ah I forgot about that that trick... spacing out the "Apartments" in tiny text! Thanks!!

I presented to the customer and they picked #3.

Personally I liked the middle one.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Breezy85

Breezy85 Member

May 23, 2018
    Auburn-Kent
    I like the font of the middle one.

18. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Can we see a video of you making the sign?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Please no.........................:covereyes:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Yes, but first Im working on a video of me sweeping the shop. Ill have it up shortly.

• Like Like x 2