• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design Crituqe

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I was going to present these options for the customer... any thoughts on the designs? They are not redoing the wood frame, just the faces.

atbwF5VUBpspRB-yiZ_djDcSyi74oT3hKOtH36PxHTSScK_xRgbsR-nez3Z7koTzpfW0kA1z3ebWsT4nACZU2kY-oqzbzKz6k_JchaXwJManGrAY_n4z7yC2rI1n2uy4WUcsQzgjoVCJVoi_DllhaA9ndvj1xAjEheQt2B9i0YuW2bb4S7YyMkgCt3RbnfL5uph7D1msOot-rK6a0a9ryg0R4uoewSyZD-ThmT6nLdqtf3bccGhdZjkCmIoAZVcIavPqzw2RisAVvGhsIvF8_6sjIYigre9nCoMd_fj2VGUN3s3wV1EozZ2qrdl0CtE3UhDtvDP5t_vvfYB39-bAIC0q7qyzVDFLcjf82voZ9XMdeAPW3fMmiGF9KnrMwc-XTdJ2CMFLIZeRnFud8vzMCV4ZVcikFsUIlfwGMDrrBr-_PGKjDxX1aWy18N0V6ifiy0eyLtKTbXmb0uPk3VVW9UeiEW4sn_YdcdjW_IvSaJGCg8WhLfXRG2GH2a4YMLY280SjGY6rfcNQEQKJy6XiMrWUd1xbpVtMiu-jXSQ7iN0LOx-Ql6Th0XAD-tAE9S-8hRx4AIbqdHMr2cJXAb_TssZkJCSyZSUneCMLiwG9p48GZcmV3Qk3jFdRvxNcu8zozVNlSnZ_KGZouLsmp2d95nPAHrvL4tVI_A=w1280-h319-no

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Ha, it's not gonna matter what we all think. The customer will trash the whole thing and you'll end up with a but ugly sign.
Otherwise I like the white one to start with but not gold text.
Depending on how the "black" is made. The sun will cook that puppy and possibly warp the substrate.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ha, it's not gonna matter what we all think. The customer will trash the whole thing and you'll end up with a but ugly sign.
Otherwise I like the white one to start with but not gold text.
Depending on how the "black" is made. The sun will cook that puppy and possibly warp the substrate.

Black ACM doesn't hold up well?

I don't use it much but I have a realtor that I make black ACM signs for and some of the oldest are going on 3 years and they look fine after a few Texas summers. But yea they do get insanely hot, I can only handle them with gloves if they are exposed to sunlight for even a few mins.

tulsagraphics

I haven't experienced any problems with black ACM -- but I always use a good brand. (avoid the knock-offs that use really thin aluminum).

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
3rd design.

2nd is squished and doesn't make use of the space.
1st is boring, IMO.

Maybe add some detail to the inset columns instead of a solid fill.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Instead of having everything justified center, left and right..... can you make for a nice focal point and have something jutting out a little further to make the flow a little more eventful ??

I'm partial to the center one, just not the spacing, colors and the posts are atrocious. Also, there's more emphasis on the finials than the sign itself. Maybe you could change them out, while you're at it.

TimToad

The one on the right is the most balanced in its use of space, margins and type weights as well as prioritizing on the messaging. Lose the yellow accents to the posts and choose a darker, less confrontational color. Accents should accent, not compete with the main message. Those scream, STAY AWAY!

Our eyes are drawn to shapes and blocks of text in the order that they are presented to us via color, contrast, boldness, etc.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The one on the right is the most balanced in its use of space, margins and type weights as well as prioritizing on the messaging. Lose the yellow accents to the posts and choose a darker, less confrontational color. Accents should accent, not compete with the main message. Those scream, STAY AWAY!

Our eyes are drawn to shapes and blocks of text in the order that they are presented to us via color, contrast, boldness, etc.

Thanks, I changed it to all black and it looks more tasteful. The color I was going for was gold metallic because the client has another sign with that and likes it.

Marlene

The one with the creek isn't horrid but the fonts are. What I don't think works with the other two is all the copy is the same length. The one with the creek is staggered and looks better. I'd change out the fonts and the colors and try working that one.

TimToad

Thanks, I changed it to all black and it looks more tasteful. The color I was going for was gold metallic because the client has another sign with that and likes it.

Atta boy. Marlene makes a really good point about how all three lines of text are the same length. I'd add that the letterspacing all being so similar is another place you could work on improving the aesthetics as well. Anybody who drives up knows its an apartment complex. Instead of stretching that line to match the other two, you could use a more condensed font and open the letterspacing way out to de-emphasize that message.

Breezy85

I guess depends. The first one is fine but maybe with different fonts/colors if you're not doing anything with the posts. Is the customer quoted to do something with the posts that are already there? If so, then I'd choose the third one with the black and gold with the fonts of the middle one.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Atta boy. Marlene makes a really good point about how all three lines of text are the same length. I'd add that the letterspacing all being so similar is another place you could work on improving the aesthetics as well. Anybody who drives up knows its an apartment complex. Instead of stretching that line to match the other two, you could use a more condensed font and open the letterspacing way out to de-emphasize that message.

Ah I forgot about that that trick... spacing out the "Apartments" in tiny text! Thanks!!

I presented to the customer and they picked #3.

Personally I liked the middle one.