• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design help

banditsigns

I have a customer that is wanting to re-do his existing back lite sign with a new design. He is stuck on using the mistral font for there name. Also wanted the blow dryer incorporated in the design. The signs are 54" x 54" and I am struggling to come up with something that looks right. He would like the background to be black. Here is what I have initially came up with, but would like someone to set me straight!!!!!! Thanks:banghead:

sign front new logo.jpg

Circleville Signs

Advice that you aren't going to want to hear:

If a client insists on stupidity, I do not allow them to be MY client. They can go be someone else's headache. What you posted is BAD. The hairdryer icon looks like it belongs on a hastily cobbled together iPod app. It feels out of joint with the flourishes to either side.

The "Hair Studio" being in the teal color against the black, and the rest in the "electric" blue is a terrible color combo.

Also, is the guy's last name "Salon"? If so, that's nuts. I'm guessing though that it is instead the "Charles E" Salon.

My advice, since it appears that you are throwing darts in the dark anyways, is to come up with a design that is professional, and will do the job the client needs it to do. If he doesn't like it, explain that there are plenty of hack shops around that will do whatever he wants to do - but if he want's a professional sign from a professional sign maker, then he'll need to modify his desires.

qmr55

Any better?????????

I think you missed his point...

What he is saying you do is design a layout by your own professional opinion. Not by what the client is requesting...that propose that design to him explaining him how much more effective it will be then what wants. Also, that if he wants an effective sign he is going to need to modify his desires to something along the lines of the professional design that you will be proposing to him.

SignManiac

According to Mr. Google.

Charles E. Salons is your destination for the big city designs and styles with the hometown family feel. We are committed to providing our clients with the highest ...

SignManiac

Really fast and dirty but... Make sure you can read it first and foremost.

This is five minutes effort. Not that this is what I would try and sell him, but you have to NOT listen to what the client always ask for. Subliminally, the pink hair dryer represents a woman, and the swooshie looking stripes are meant to suggest that she is blowing on you. It's all very subliminal and suggestive. The only thing I didn't hide in there is the coke and popcorn suggestion. In the end, the client is happy.

You need to keep working on yours.

Attachments

• CHARLES.jpg
    CHARLES.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 81

banditsigns

It is the name of the business that has been around for many years. I cannot tell you how they came up with the name. My best guess is that his first name is Charles, but goes by Les. His last name is Eads...I know it's different, but it is what it is......

J Hill Designs

the main point here is you are going in the wrong direction regardless of what the client wants -- look at both of your thumbnails - can you read ANYTHING in them? no.

SignManiac

Very simple design!

Decided to add a second version. Inspired by Georgia O'keefe.

Attachments

• CHARLES1.jpg
    CHARLES1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 95
  • CHARLES2.jpg
    CHARLES2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 91