• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design taken to another sign shop, should I say anything?

Dave Drane

We recently did some work for a previous customer who had a white work van. In his words he wanted " To make it a huge billboard." He gave us some artwork that was so tiny I had to redraw the entire image out point by point. We actually worked on several different designs and finally came up with something that worked perfectly. Well, after we gave him the price, he took the layout, (which was already perfectly adjusted to fit his van, which was also in the proof) to another sign company and got them to do the exact same design. Not one thing was different. So should I mention it to the customer or just consider it a lesson learned.

We told him specifically that he could not just take our design to another shop without at least changing some aspect of it, so he knew it was wrong. I just seen it ride by like several minutes ago. We even called him back when we knew he was shopping around and knocked some money off of the price. We told him to at least call us to see if we could match the price since we had already done all the work. Well he never called back and you know the rest. Your opinions on this matter would help a lot.
Thanks.
Did you clean up his artwork and then do some more designing? If you cleaned up what he gave you then he would rightfully claim it as artwork supplied, albeit unusable but it was still his. If you went ahead and designed something better then without consultation???:Coffee:

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
i know a few ppl posting in this thread already know this because we have reviewed projects together but for the others...there are companies that do NOTHING else than design signs, specificy all of the materials, methods of construction and then send the drawings and specs out for bid to sign companiesl...and here's the kicker...they are paid HANDSOMELY for this service..and then there are shops that are giving away this service that could result in a very good chunk of change for them in annual sales...i understand others are doing it but it makes NO sense to me.
+1

We never design for a new customer without a 50% deposit on a firm order and we never design anything even for an existing good customer without a firm order. And I make very clear, before even starting, how much of the total tab is design.

Re: Dan's post... I once bid on design and spec-ing signage for a 6000-seat arena/conf. centre. My bid at ~$18,000 was only 500 more than the successful bid. Yup, there can be lots of money, there... Haven't had any more opportunities like that one, though...

OldPaint

i just wish .........people would post a pic of so called "DESIGN!"
iam gettin the feeling on this one and the other post...........IT AINT MUCH OF A DESIGN, if people who requested it GAVE YOU ARTWORK.....to start it.

S

scarface

Yeah guys, DON'T get stuck with "oh the customer is going to go with me for the cards or design" and put time in it to have them either blow you off or take it to another shop.

I have been prone to this abunch of times and it's always the customers you think you can trust too.

Hell just the other day i had a lady who i work with a few times a year ask about some cards. So i said alright i'll work up a quick design. Well she didn't like it and created her own in publisher. She then tells me, i have a publisher file and i said i can't use that type and didn't hear back.

Today she said "oh i went ahead and uploaded it to staples and got 200 cards"

50% down MINIMUM, They will either respect you and do it or walk away and at that point you don't want to deal with them anyway.

I had a guy who has gotten shirts and cards from me previously want a sign and more cards. I told him 75% down and i'll get started and he told another customer of mine apparently that "what's up with him wanting 75% down, he knows i'm good for the money". Ha, i don't trust ANYONE

visual800

always have disclaimer on bottom of art "This art is property of ME SIGNS and will not be used without permission, blah, blah. blah"

NEVER email out art vector format OR pdf. make a it low rez jepg (make em work to reproduce it

If they come back and ask you for an eps or ai file assume they are about to take your logo and demand payment for your work

Small claims court is nothing but a waste of your time and money Been There!
threatening to file does not make anyone cringe. Small claims court was designed to get money from the filer and thats it. Dont be suckered into thinking they care. (took a guy to small claims in my earlier years and the other guy didnt even show up, case was dismissed! WOW just like that huh?)