• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Destroy craigslist lowballers

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
im talking bout 1000 bus cards for 35 bucks, or 5000 postcards for 49 bucks, or banners for 1.50/ sq foot or screen print for some ridiculas price...

this is helping to promote the downfall of our industry.

mark galoob

You don't need to get on craigslist to find someone selling at these prices. There are hundreds of websites that sell Business Cards for $35/1000.

--

Lowballing hurts an industry, but it's inevitable in ANY industry that can be gotten into as easily as ours. IMHO it takes overhead to understand the real costs of doing business. It always has and always will be an uphill race that the consistent, thoughtful tortoise wins.

I think that all the time one might spend trying to compete (and yes, that's exactly what's going on here, you're competing directly with the guys on craigslist) you might spend that same time building one or two powerful customer relationships.

--

I visited with the GM at a famous steakhouse here in Omaha the other day. They are trying to sell before they are forced to close down and I went along with my Uncle who is interested in the purchase. This steakhouse is probably world famous and is where Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have lunch when they're in town.

I asked the GM why sales are down. He said he can't compete with Applebee's 2 for $20 menu. My jaw dropped. He was absolutely right.

They hand cut and age their meet right there. Everyone in town EVERYONE knows who they are without any advertising. Two of the most powerful men in the world dine there regularly. They have built a solid reputation for decades! - and he's worried about Applebee's!!!!!! :banghead:

He was right. If he can't see the difference between them and Applebee's, then there is now way in hell his customers will see the difference.

P.S. I appreciate Applebee's as much as the next guy, but it's not a Nebraska/Midwestern Steak House.

Move In Media

Prestige World Wide!

attachment.php

Attachments

• boatsnhoes.jpg
    boatsnhoes.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 138

ironchef

We have that problems here in miami too. People just giving away signs. I really don't mind. We have our repeat clientele and a good amount of walk-ins to keep us busy. We never done any advertising. And still busy. I just don't like people putting a price on my product. They say. Oh i can get it for so and so price. Then i have to explain why my product is better then the cheap stuff. People just don't understand.... you get what you pay for!

SD&F

My neice just opened a small in house business. She showed me her cards, they were kinda cute. The first thing out of her mouth was "you can tell they are Vista Print and when I make some money, I am going to get some that are more professional".

That says it all....I don't do business cards, but I thought you guys should know the mentallity of it.

UFB Fabrication

Funny thing is that the big shops think of Mom and pop or 1 man garage shops as scum. The the big nationals think of the big shops as **** ants as well.

My theory is that plumbers are smarter than sign guys. They all have a hourly rate that is very similar. They may have some difference in material mark up. They seem to look at it as a profession and not a hobby.

ironchef

Not so with every case. The guy i used to outsource to. He does some serious volume. And we sat down and talked, told him about our new purchase. And he was happy for me. Giving me tips. Like what temp to keep the air on during night. Getting a humidity monitor. Etc. Im still going to sub out stuff to him like channel letters, led lighted signs, anything i need printed larger then what i can handle. I'm even going to send him my installs for wraps, until i take a wrap class and get some practice on my truck, moms suv, etc. We can all make money if we work together. Being able to say yes to any job a customer asks is a big plus. Oh and we ourselves work with a guy that does awnings and sends us work, mostly cut vinyl stuff.

WCSign

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? We could get into video production together. I have Windows Movie Maker!

Prestige World Wide!

Whenever I need some, im gonna send my outsourcing your way just because you have attended the freaking catalina wine mixer!!!!!

:goodpost: