• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Detailed articles on marketing your sign shop and managing the business side

2B

It is in everyone's best interest to strive for improvement, no matter the topic.

I would be more than willing to try and review anything you care to offer.
Thank you for taking the time to compile and offer the information

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think there is some apprehension because we had someone give us a
spiel about automating the process with virtual employees (crowdsourcing)
and then turned it into a sales pitch (he was a Tony Robbins minion)

I'm actually not against a sales pitch, his rates were not all that unreasonable,
people have to make a living... but... you have to expect criticism too. I saw
his other attempts at consulting, he sold his sign business and started another.
His advice would never fly with most sign people because we got into it because
we love the artistic part of it... His target was the replicator type sign shops.

When giving advice, we all want to double our sales (and most importantly profits)
but some of us are not willing to give up the fun parts that got us into it.

I saw your page when you introduced yourself. I wasn't going to comment
because I understand how hard it is to build up a portfolio on your own. I
did awesome work working for someone else, I can show it on a portfolio site
like coroflot, behance and a few other sites, I even have some in the signs101
gallery. but I can't post it on my business websites portfolio.

Whether your information is good or not, it might actually spark some good
discussion. Can't wait!

I think there is some apprehension because we had someone give us a
spiel about automating the process with virtual employees (crowdsourcing)
and then turned it into a sales pitch (he was a Tony Robbins minion)
Thanks for the explanation on this Rick. Wasn't quite sure what the Tony Robbins thing was all about.

I would never want anyone to give up the fun parts of the business. This is clearly the wrong business to be in, if you're just out to make money. The fun (what can we make today) part of the job is what drew me in years ago and was one of the reasons why I left my last job.

I just wasn't having fun anymore, which was a hard gut punch after all the 60 hr weeks I'd invested over the years. The part I did enjoy at the end was teaching the other guys how to operate the equipment, produce the work, etc.

So the whole teaching, sharing, writing part is fairly new ground for me. And I'd be lying if I told you guys I wouldn't love to get paid to do it. But I don't have a pitch for anybody and I'm not working any angles. Right now, this is more of a test for myself. I want to see if I can provide value to this community first. If I can - great. If I can build a business from it sometime down the road, even better.

Hope you all can respect that.

thewvsignguy

Popcorn_nommer.gif

X2

Thanks for all the positive responses guys. I've got another article coming this week.

I've got several article ideas that I think would be helpful. But, if you guys are struggling with something specific, please let me know. I'd rather write about something I know will help you.

Techman

that clockwork site used a friggin popup signup deal.. I hate it when trying to look at a page only to get blasted with some crappy popup nag. I hate it when I have to sign up to see something. Then touch a graphic and a blocker screen slides in and covers it all up.. Useless forplay.

I hate them all.