• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Did Avery strike again?

TheSnowman

I had to do a police cruiser that had already been done by a previous company about 6 years ago. We originally did a couple things on the back of the truck, and then we ended up doing the sides. To match the color, I had to use Avery vinyl against my will, but the original work I did, still looks good. These pictures are of a job I did about two or three months ago (after removing all of the old avery w/ a 3M wheel) and he stopped in for me to fix it.

It was already terrible once, and now it's going to be terrible again. I'm not sure what to do. On the back tailgate it's all still holding fine from the same roll what I did a couple years ago, but this stuff just plain isn't sticking.

Said it's only been hand washed, and we haven't even been through a winter with it since we did it. Anyone that's delt w/ this, is the an Avery failure, or something else? I want to be DONE with this job...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Avery1.jpg
    Avery1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Avery2.jpg
    Avery2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 155

MikePro

not sure if this looks like vinyl failure or the result of wax residue.
this isn't calendared/intermediate vinyl is it? I only trust cast materials, regardless of brand.

TheSnowman

It's cast. We've had it on dozens of excavating pickups that we did for a local company. I just don't get it. I mean, yea, it's Avery...but I've only used it when I had to match an existing color, and I've never had any other trouble w/ this roll.

HulkSmash

It's cast. We've had it on dozens of excavating pickups that we did for a local company. I just don't get it. I mean, yea, it's Avery...but I've only used it when I had to match an existing color, and I've never had any other trouble w/ this roll.

Did you install it wet?

This doesn't look like vinyl failure.
Typically you can see the adhesive separated from the actual vinyl.

This might have been a prep issue... can't say for sure though.

Also looks like the white is pealing a bit also.

I bet they waxed this thing a few days prior to install...

Techman

It's peeling up on both end of that gas cap and its peeling up on the gas port. Looks to me like either gas spill or installer error.

Avery failed by shrinking. This is not shrink., It looks like lifting.

That gold line. cant tell if its the gold failing or the black failing.

Either way it looks like user error.

Never believe the user when they say the cars are hand washed. They always run through car washes and pressure car washes every chance. I know this from first hand experience.

HulkSmash

Said it's only been hand washed, and we haven't even been through a winter with it since we did it. Anyone that's delt w/ this, is the an Avery failure, or something else? I want to be DONE with this job...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
a Cop hand washing his car? That'd be the day

TheSnowman

Yes, it was done wet...this thing goes the whole length of the truck, but Colorado was right...it does look like the white is lifting, and that's 3M Control Tac if I remember right. Possibility it's Oracal, but OIE, this is going to be painful.

I had to remove the old graphic w/ a 3M wheel because it was BAKED on there from the sun. I then just had to clean w/ application fluid, and alcohol to get it all cleaned off, over and over. I'm almost wondering if I tell him to wait another month so I can see what all is going to do it, and what's going to hang on. It's got to be something that's on the car. That scares me even more because it took me an entire day to remove and install the new, and I don't really want to give that up again...but I stand behind my work.

I have no idea if it's waxed or not, but it's an old truck and still looks good, so could very well be. I do believe that he hand washes it, it's the only truck, and it's for our local university. I believe the maintenance dept does it since the truck is actually owned by the university.

HulkSmash

Next time you attempt to do a line that thin across the whole vehicle ( A PAIN I KNOW!)
Try masking it, and not doing it wet. Avery already has a pretty low tac, and wetting it might now be the best option for an install like that.

good luck getting it fixed!

TheSnowman

I have a feeling I'm going to be restripping the car and starting completely over. I just have no clue what went wrong. What do you use to cut through any kind of wax that could have been on there?

HulkSmash

I don't see how there's any way I can do this thing dry. I can't win on this deal.

You can do it no problem. Mask the stripe... and hinge it. It's not as hard as you think...

here's pinstriping we did with just masking. took forever.. and was a pain, but got it

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 86

splizaat

I feel like maybe I am missing something...why does a 1" stripe need to be put on wet? Seriously though, I think I might not be reading between the lines on this one?

Sticky Signs

First thought is - It's a 2 year old roll of vinyl. Time for a new one?
I'm sure wet app was a major cause for problem too.