• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Did I charge too much?

LittleSnakey

I got a phone call the other day from a customer we deal with quite a bit and she says that she is surprised at how much we charged her to wrap these time capsules.

We did 3 of them, they are 32"tall and the length was 52" around the cylinder. There are 2 logos on opposite sides so there was a little layout work.

We charged her $75 each is that too much?

Attachments

• IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 102

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I got a phone call the other day from a customer we deal with quite a bit and she says that she is surprised at how much we charged her to wrap these time capsules.

We did 3 of them, they are 32"tall and the length was 52" around the cylinder. There are 2 logos on opposite sides so there was a little layout work.

We charged her $75 each is that too much?

Not in my opinion. How much time did you put into the job from start to finish? What is your shop rate per hour?

Guessing that you have at least 3 hours in the job. My shop rate is $75 an hour so, if 3 hours is true, all $225 covers is my time with nothing for materials or material markup.

dwt

I don't think so. Even in my area where the bottom dollar is boss I wouldn't do it any cheaper. Time, trouble and equipment...no way.

GypsyGraphics

she is surprised at how much we charged her to wrap these time capsules.

Did she have you do the work ahead of a bid/quote/deposit invoice? I do have a few clients who say "just do it and bill me".... but they are well aware of my rates.

If this is a long-time client, she must know your rates. Aside from that, seems your price was more than fare.

Maybe your response to her should have been "you're very welcome, it was my pleasure to surprise you with that discounted rate."

Techman

she is surprised at how much we charged her to wrap these time capsules.

Maybe she was surprised an how low the price was. Maybe she though they would be much higher.

The price you asked seems a little low to me..

LittleSnakey

Techman,
I wish she said she had "sticker shock".
Gypsy,
We have a set size and price for what she usually orders and she does on the average of between $150-$400 per month with us. She has asked us to put together a price list for the future.

I though we were more than fair on these also thats why I was so surprised by her complaining.

Seems low to me too, I would have been around $92 per cylinder.

I've noticed that customers perception of the value of an object sometimes alters their opinion about the value of our work. That is a customer will pay $12 plus or minus per square square foot to wrap their car but put the same material on something like your time capsule and they expect the price to be less.

Mosh

Sounds like a normal price to me for that size. Not alot on there, I might have just vinyl cut them and saved all that material. Were they white to start with?

Tim Aucoin

32" tall & 52" around the cylinder?... they look smaller than that in proportion! Anyhow, that price is more than fair for time & material involved. 11.55 sq. ft. per cylinder plus layout time and install... pretty fair price if not low!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I believe you were more than fair with your pricing.

Don't let your customers dictate your pricing. They evidently don't have a clue as to what this stuff should cost.