• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Did I make any money?

wes70

I agree that better layouts/designs should warrant higher prices than the average sticker dude down the street. The problem with demanding higher prices for quality layouts? Unfortunately, many customers don't know what good layout should look like. They come in with their artwork (usually designed by a family, friend, etc.) and think it's the greatest layout ever.

signgal

yes, but when you explain, with your professional manner and knowledge why the elements wont work and help them with shaping the ideas they have into what works... you become the hero. they go with you and never forget the time you took and the mistake you saved them from making.

and if they don't, another one will. that's longevity... if you're not making money, why are you taking the job? it's no different than not taking the job and making no money, but at least you'll have time to work on marketing and business improvement :)

wes70

yes, but when you explain, with your professional manner and knowledge why the elements wont work and help them with shaping the ideas they have into what works... you become the hero. they go with you and never forget the time you took and the mistake you saved them from making.

and if they don't, another one will. that's longevity... if you're not making money, why are you taking the job? it's no different than not taking the job and making no money, but at least you'll have time to work on marketing and business improvement :)

Believe me, after 13 years of being in this business, I have educated my fair share of customers. It's a fine line when explaining good design over the design that they present to you. Some are emotionally attached to their design and others don't care and just want it done, for cheap. Sometimes it's worth it, if you don't allocate a lot of time explaining (educating) when the particular job isn't worth it.

BOTTOM LINE: Make profit...not wages!

luggnut

Unfortunately, many customers don't know what good layout should look like.

thats your job as the man in the biz... signmaniac is a good example , i've seen the pics of his awesome showroom and his prices he gets are very profitable.. is he a better sign man than me... i don't know? is he a better businessman/salesman .. absolutely. that confidence can be learned i believe .. and that is my goal.