• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Difference between HP5500 and HP5500 PS

Brandon708

We have the HP5500 at the shop but I was wondering what is the difference between this the one we have and the HP5500 "PS".

Thanks in advance

CS-SignSupply

Not 100% sure but the HP5500PS has the PostScript Interpreter built into the printer itself. You can change the media settings and information on the fly from the printer.

CS-SignSupply

I wouldn't say better... It comes with its own internal RIP software.

If you already own a software RIP, then it is not better.

If you do not own a software RIP, and don' want one, the 5500PS is better.

Do you need a RIP Software?

Brandon708

I found one for sale but it's running on DYE inks.
How hard is it to convert to UV inks? Do I just replace the ink cartages and print heads? or is their some kind of flush out procedure.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I found one for sale but it's running on DYE inks.
How hard is it to convert to UV inks? Do I just replace the ink cartages and print heads? or is their some kind of flush out procedure.

Its easy but not that easy, you need to buy the changeover kit which is a few hundred bucks then your good to go. Let me know if you need pricing cause I can hook all that up no problem.

Billct2

You have to swap out the tube assembly, carts & heads , it's fairly straight forward.
There are downloadable manuals for sale on ebay(if Bigfish doesn't have them), very handy.

bbeens

It is a fairly simple process to switch from Dye to UV. Maybe an hour job. The kit includes new ink lines from the ink cartridges all the way to the printheads. A bit of a pain to route the lines, make sure the lines move with the carriage before powering on.

Bryan

Tony McD

I have a 42" 5500uvps with takeup reel setting here collecting dust.
Hasn't gotten used much since getting a versacamm a couple years ago.
I did put a new drive belt in it a few months ago.
Pretty sure a couple of the inks are still the originals, but are getting low.
I would make someone a great deal if interested.
It's a real workhorse printer for indoor or short term outdoor prints. It's not
a printer you would want for wraps.
It would need to be picked up, I wouldn't want to try boxing it up for shipping.

bbeens

One more thing to remember. The name UV for HP's ink is a bit misleading. This ink is not UV cured and still requires coated media unlike the UV printers such as Gandi, Inca, etc.

Bryan

Firefox

One more thing to remember. The name UV for HP's ink is a bit misleading. This ink is not UV cured and still requires coated media unlike the UV printers such as Gandi, Inca, etc.

Bryan

UV means it is Ulrta Violet resistant (Fade Resistant). It is much better than the Dye based ink but it still fades, Especially the red... go figure!

It also seems to be more water resistant compared to dye inks but that really depends a lot on the coating on the substrate.

OhioSignShop

We have both the UV and Dye ink tube kits, takes about 15 mins to swap everything out after you do it a few times. No problem. Think I paid about $1000 for the UV system though back in 2004

OhioSignShop

the HP UV ink has a much smaller color space than the dye ink, I limit UV printing to outdoor usage (with lamination). Indoor graphics go with Dye for far better color gamut

modernmedia1

I have a HP Designjet 5500 that keeps telling me to replace the UV light cyan ink cartridge, the cartridge is full, does anyone know if the cartridge is bad or it there some other issue? Can't figure this out.

OhioSignShop

I have a HP Designjet 5500 that keeps telling me to replace the UV light cyan ink cartridge, the cartridge is full, does anyone know if the cartridge is bad or it there some other issue? Can't figure this out.

Try reseating the lm cartridge, if you can reseat it with the machine running then it had a bad connection to the supply pick up in the back ( open door and check for ink). If it's tight, turn off and then reseat. Might also clean the output valve with water and check the contacts too. Still printing ok right? I've use expired ink and never got that notice because of the date, always a seating issue.