• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digging Equipment.............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My whole life, I've always used post hole diggers by hand with a digging bar. On occasion, we used some digging augers, but we have a job coming up which requires at least 48 - 3' holes dug over a 3 week period, so rental by the week is out and that's too many holes to dig by hand. I know I've seen some threads on gas powered machines, but I can't find a single one with the search feature. Can anyone who has one.... or two give me some particulars about the kind they have. I'm thinking about buying one, instead of renting or breaking our backs.

:thankyou: Gino

letterman7

Gino, I've got a 'Little Beaver' auger here - one man capable - with multiple bits and extensions from 2" to 10" (I think). You're more than welcome to "rent" at a rate we can both live with for your time period. It just sits, usually, I think the last time I had it out was back in February this year.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is that the one where the engine is on a separate cart and drags behind ?? One man can do it easy enough ?? We don't have a trailer, but will it all fit in an extended van ??

We're putting a buncha signs in on various properties for a management company and they usually use sled signs, but they want nice posts with finials so I hafta dig 'em in.

Billct2

I've tried renting gas powered augers, never been real happy with the results. We have too much ledge and rocks around here.
I have subbed out a job or two to a company that has a truck mounted auger.

Baz

Whenever i have allot of holes to dig i rent this guy ...
You can also attach extensions to the digging bit if you need to go deeper than 36"

Just looked at the rates and it's 85.00$ per day or 300.00$ for a week.

Probably cheaper where you are.

Attachments

• PAYS_TAR_HYDRAULIQUE.png
    PAYS_TAR_HYDRAULIQUE.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 112

letterman7

Yep, engine is separate from the head. Has a torque tube as well that makes it easier on the users back. You'll still need 2 people for deep holes unless you have brutes for employees... dirt and clay get heavy, quick.

letterman7

Oh, and yes, it will fit in a standard van or pickup. With the head folded over the drive unit, it's only about 5' long and 20" wide by 20" high. I used to carry it on a hitch-mate thing on my truck when the bed was packed full.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I have a two man auger with a small Tecumseh gas motor on it, earthquake is the brand I think. For dirt, it's the peaches. For rocks, roots, old road beds etc, I still dig by hand. The auger still requires clean-out by hand, so keep your diggers handy. The auger is not expensive, and has been trouble free for the 10 years and hundreds of holes I've used it for, but it just won't do when the digging gets tough. For large/deep holes, I bring the tractor with a 3 pt hitch auger on it. I realize this is often overkill, but with a front end loader with forks, its a handy tool and sometimes worth the trouble.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The tow-behind one that Home Depot rents is by far the best I've usedused.

petepaz

Gino, I've got a 'Little Beaver' auger here - one man capable - with multiple bits and extensions from 2" to 10" (I think). You're more than welcome to "rent" at a rate we can both live with for your time period. It just sits, usually, I think the last time I had it out was back in February this year.

i have used this machine and it works great, even with one person just be careful when lifting it out of the holes. not super heavy but i apparently pulled the wrong way and herniated a couple of discs.

WB

When I have to dig multiple holes in multiple locations I hire one of those Post Tech guys. The guy I use has a little Excavator with an auger attachment, THis way I don't have to worry about whats 2' under the ground, if there's rocks or roots that will bind up the little rental units. When I get to the site I always know the holes are spaced correctly they are straight and they are as deep as I wanted them. If I give him a heads up he normally tried to fit them in with his other jobs and I get a deal on the transportation cost.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
tow behind.jpg

i bought one of these 10 years ago on ebay for $1500, it's a life saver! brings up rocks the size of a softball.

towable and you don't need license plates or lights!

still kills your back though, but it can be run by one man.