• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Magnetic?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I just saw some "digital magnetic" material on Proveer's site. I assume that you print directly onto it, as opposed to printing on vinyl, and then applying to mag. Anybody had any experience with it? (I'd be using my Roland SP540i)

Note that in the following, these observations and experiences were with 30mil media. With thinner media your mileage may vary.

It's no fun to wrangle a roll of this stuff into your printer. It weighs more than a small horse. Or at least it seems that way.

The media is way too heavy to feed properly. You'll end up, typically, with at least a -10% feed deviation. In other words if you;re printing something that's supposed to be 10" in the media direction most likely it will be around 9" out of the printer.

The media is not flat as it passes over the platen, it still thinks it's wound around a roll. Dragging carriage and print heads over the media is a distinct possibility.

Your heaters won't heat it sufficiently for anything resembling optimum printing. The print quality sucks, be this because of heating, thickness, not laying flat, crappy coating, or what is moot, it is what it is.

Having been there and done that, I can state with some authority that it's faster, easier, and simpler, to print and apply vinyl that to mess with printing directly on magnetic media.

dypinc

I have to disagree.

Digamag .030 prints print as good as any vinyl with the L25500. Even the old non digital prints acceptable.

One issues I have had with Digamag is it can't take very much heat in the curing area. With the proper vacuum and tension settings it runs and prints just fine though.

Can't understand the heat issue because the old non digital never had this problem and I also notice the profiles on their web site have the curing heat a lot higher. I am thinking I might have got a bad roll.