• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dirt Bike Graphics

Redhawk028

Ok I have been doing graphic design for a while... I want to start designing/printing/laminating, etc... My own graphics.
I'm new at this and need guidance as far as inkjet solvent printer/plotter recommendations, laminating recommendations, supplier, equipment, etc... I got Adobe Cs5 Design Premium software for design.
Plus I need to know all the "how to's," I greatly appreciate help :thankyou:

MGraphics

word to the wise.. you are gonna get lit up... do some research first, don't just ask everyone for everything they learned over decades of trial and error... start with talking to some suppliers about machines and prices and then you will see it isn't as easy as designing and hitting print and installing.

laserman70

word to the wise.. you are gonna gt lit up... do some reasearch first, don't jsut ask everyone for everything they learned over decades of trial and error... start with talking to some suppliers about machines and prices and then you will see it isn't as easy as designing and hitting print and installing.

+1
lol
was waiting for the lashing to begin

Redhawk028

word to the wise.. you are gonna get lit up... do some research first, don't just ask everyone for everything they learned over decades of trial and error... start with talking to some suppliers about machines and prices and then you will see it isn't as easy as designing and hitting print and installing.

I understand that... I do vinyl work already just nothing with printing involved. I thought this forum was for getting guidance, sharing ideas and whatnot, not a lashing for egos. Sorry for asking... In fact I have been doing a lot of research and yes I have a decent budget for investing. I just wanted some opinions from experience.
When the going gets tough the tough gets going.

Thanks HIGHSPEEDGRAPHIX I will call Frank Fellers. :cool:

DesireeM

It's like asking a college professor to quickly jot down everything you'd need to learn in order to get your doctorate in psychology.

I think you'll probably get a lot a flack over your thread because you seem to be under the impression that there isn't a lot to making your own decals and that it can be simply explained in just a couple "How to's". Some people here might find that both insulting and hilariously naive. (If that's not your thinking I apologize for assuming but that's how it comes across)

To be honest unless you go work in a print shop for a couple years and learn as you go you'll have a hard time getting started just based on tips and tricks from this forum. You need to gain at least enough basic knowledge to know the right questions to ask.

It's kind of hard to explain why it's not that easy to answer your questions...If you do end up getting setup to print your own decals you'll understand just how infinite the details are.

Backbone don't leave home without it.

Just a heads up rumor has it FELLERS sells DIRECTLY to the PUBLIC at your cost , NO PROFIT HERE. HAVE A NICE DAY

autoexebat

Do you have a min of $25,000 for the equipment you are going to need?

Don't listen to this guy he is a fool. I do dirt bike / ATV graphics for a living and I have gigs upon gigs of designs and templates. You do NOT need 25 grand to get started. I bought a breand new Roland last week and I paid $18 Grand , but that is because I wanted the best on the market.

I was asking for advice on this same topic a month ago and MOSH called me a loser because I asked people if they knew a good finance company. I ended up paying CASH for the printer and now I hope MOSH feels like a fool knowing I probably have a printer that cost more than his house ( although he probably rents )

If you need help / questions , feel free to send me a PM and I will steer you in the right direction ... Don't listen to MOSH !

lodcomm

Blind leading the blind.

What sizes or widths do you want to print?

Blind leading Blind? - Thats a bit extreme don't you think? or were you referring to yourself as one of the "blind"?

The OP came on here asking about printing motorcycle graphics, specifically "dirt bikes" - Even a slight application of rational thought on the matter should provide the answer to a thinking adult all by itself.

But in case it is still too confusing: He almost certainly wants to print sizes (lengths & widths) that would be applicable to Dirt Bike components.. Say, radiator shrouds (maybe 12-13" wide tops ), Fenders (maybe 7-8"), front Headlight shrouds ( 7-8"), Number side plates (6-7"), maybe Fork Tube Decals, (2" X 10"). etc. Imagine a dirt bike - and think of the biggest part - - Have a look at a picture of a dirt bike and look at the parts that have decals on them. Google "Dirtbike Graphics" and you will see thousands of examples.

I Have printed a good number of dirt bike graphic sets using my measly old Roland SC500 (which can be had for around $2500 bucks or so if you keep your eyes open), and using a 29" $160.00 (delivered) Ebay purchased Hand crank roller laminator. I have made my own templates, and have purchased some KTM pre-made templates, both have worked well. For quick and dirty Motocross guy graphic sets with sponsor logos, etc.. (IE: Meant to be used for a race or two) - I print on plain old budget 4 mil vinyl (Thanks BigFish!) with budget laminate, in fact most of the Motocross guys skip the over laminate all together. For longer lasting graphics (more durable) for say the enduro guys (who tend to be taking their bikes through hell and high water (Myself included in this bunch - as I'm too old and out of shape for Motocross)) - I use High-Tack Orajet 3105, with the Stoneguard Laminate (both which I got from the Good Folks at CONVEX who advertise here, and I was referred to here when I asked about Motorcycle Graphics several months back here on 101 in THIS POST. Again printed on my SC500, and laminated with the cheap (lets call it inexpensive) hand crank laminator. I Have had ZERO Complaints about the quality of the graphics sets I have been selling, I have had ZERO complaints of "de-lamination" from my satisfied customers (nor have I seen any evidence of it on my own bike(s)). all in all I was able to get into the "Motorcycle graphic set" printing business, as in putting finished product out the door for well under $7000.00. (AND that is bit high as I probably overpaid ($4000) for my Roland SC500).

Anyhow Redhawk, as was earlier correctly explained by Autoexecbat - you DO NOT need to spend anywhere near $25,000 to get into physical printing side of things, you could get by perfectly well with say a used (or even leased) Roland BN20 - and inexpensive Laminator. (I would say look for an old SC500 like I have, but the thing is a Monster! it's 8 feet long and is kinda overkill if you are concentrating on MC/ATV/ORV Graphics) You say you are already doing the "graphic design" side of things.. that ability is by far the more valuable asset in the the whole business plan. Anyhow, feel free to PM me as well for help/questions.

-t

lodcomm

Here is a shroud decal I printed for my own KTM 450 EXC, when I first started to learn doing the MX Graphics, trying to teach myself flexi, printing, cutting, etc.. It is printed on 1 mil?? Cheap e-bay purchased white vinyl that I had bought for doing cut only vinyl decals (on my cheap UScutter mh-871) - the Vinyl was not even intended for Digital printing! - I printed it on my SC500 using Lyson/Nazdar 2000 Eco-sol Ink. I think I used Fine2 Resolution. There is no over laminate whatsoever, just the Eco-Sol Ink on the cut decal vinyl. (I take no credit whatsoever for the design, It was simply a graphic design I pulled from some website as a jpg and overlaid on my home made template (I made the template following some guy on youtube's example: HERE. As I have loudly said in many of my posts: I have absolutely no artistic ability whatsoever!). I used a heat gun sparingly when I applied the decal on my bike, and it went on fairly easily and I was able to work out the bubbles & Wrinkles an amateur like myself inevitably gets! - especially with the thin vinyl. The heavy/thick decals I do with stoneguard laminate are much easier to apply.

That printed decal has been through many hours of hard riding in the Pachaug State Forest in CT, 2 Turkey Runs (Loudon NH (2-day 100+ Miles/day), and Noble Woods ME (90+ Miles) - it has passed through several crashes, water crossings, mud-holes, briars, branches, etc.. and here is what it looks like right now in my garage:

IMG_0624.jpg IMG_0625.jpg IMG_0627.jpg

-t

phototec

Here is a shroud decal I printed for my own KTM 450 EXC, when I first started to learn doing the MX Graphics, trying to teach myself flexi, printing, cutting, etc.. It is printed on 1 mil?? Cheap e-bay purchased white vinyl that I had bought for doing cut only vinyl decals (on my cheap UScutter mh-871) - the Vinyl was not even intended for Digital printing! - I printed it on my SC500 using Lyson/Nazdar 2000 Eco-sol Ink. I think I used Fine2 Resolution. There is no over laminate whatsoever, just the Eco-Sol Ink on the cut decal vinyl. (I take no credit whatsoever for the design, It was simply a graphic design I pulled from some website as a jpg and overlaid on my home made template (I made the template following some guy on youtube's example: HERE. As I have loudly said in many of my posts: I have absolutely no artistic ability whatsoever!). I used a heat gun sparingly when I applied the decal on my bike, and it went on fairly easily and I was able to work out the bubbles & Wrinkles an amateur like myself inevitably gets! - especially with the thin vinyl. The heavy/thick decals I do with stoneguard laminate are much easier to apply.

That printed decal has been through many hours of hard riding in the Pachaug State Forest in CT, 2 Turkey Runs (Loudon NH (2-day 100+ Miles/day), and Noble Woods ME (90+ Miles) - it has passed through several crashes, water crossings, mud-holes, briars, branches, etc.. and here is what it looks like right now in my garage:

View attachment 97104 View attachment 97105 View attachment 97106

-t

:goodpost:

Very interesting - looks good for as simple as you did it!!!

I think the blind should open their eyes and lean from you!

:clapping:

heyskull

I got into MX graphics and quickly jumped out.
I lost serious money on companies selling me " material that was made for the job" and wasn't!
Only two materials I would use for MX /Dirtbike Graphics and that is either Convex or Substance, but either way you look materials are very very expensive.

No money in it!

It will wreck a standard plotter (ours did!).

Sure everyone loves your designs, but try and make money out of it and you have to go big time and still sell for micro profits over years.

I guess my look on this one is "DON'T DO IT!"

SC

autoexebat

I got into MX graphics and quickly jumped out.
I lost serious money on companies selling me " material that was made for the job" and wasn't!
Only two materials I would use for MX /Dirtbike Graphics and that is either Convex or Substance, but either way you look materials are very very expensive.

No money in it!

It will wreck a standard plotter (ours did!).

Sure everyone loves your designs, but try and make money out of it and you have to go big time and still sell for micro profits over years.

I guess my look on this one is "DON'T DO IT!"

SC

Why would it wreck a standard plotter ? You must be running some cheap equiptment ? I have a new Roland GX-300 and it does the contour cut just fine. I could use it in my new printer but I choose not too. As far as money goes , I have made out pretty good so far ... Even though I paid $18,000 for my printer, I wanted something new and I wanted the best on the market. I also wanted the option to print metallic. Yeah I might have jumped too fat and got a printer I didnt need , but at the same time when you have no mortage , cars payments or anything else then.. well who cares LOL