Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discovered an antique Electro Pounce Machine in our supply closet

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by Nicholedene, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Nicholedene

Nicholedene New Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Morrisville, VT
    Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. Been the (3rd) owner of a sign and design shop in Northern Vermont for three years now. We've been working tirelessly this winter to try and clean out and organize this place. A lot of clutter develops after 33 years in business. In the midst of all this I discovered a really cool looking machine. A google search later I've learned that this is a genuine antique Electro Pounce Machine. Date stamped 1969. I replaced the fuse and had a machine repairman look it over. Everything appears to be in good working order. I think this is just the coolest thing, but have little practical use for it. I'm curious, is there a market for such things? Does anyone know if I could sell it, and if so, what kind of asking price I should list? I was thinking ebay but would welcome other suggestions. Thanks![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Cross Signs

Cross Signs Active Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clearwater FL
    I saw one sell on e-bay for $400.00 just last week.

3. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    I think they retail for around $600 new. I'd keep it unless you really need the money. I can't count the number of times, I've regretted selling mine when I took a break form the business.

4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Sheesh! Antique? Reminds me of when I drove by a place tha sells antiques and collectsbles and a sign I did was sitting out front on display.

5. Ponto

Ponto Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I used one of those many moons ago.....large metal table top ---- just remember to remove any wrist watches while using --LOL-- cuz' any unintended contact with the surface really woke you up!!! JP

6. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    There are a couple different pages on Facebook which feature hand-lettering, you could maybe try selling it there.
    Love....Jill
    (I guess I am also an antique)

7. Red Ball

Red Ball Very Active Member

Aug 20, 2008
    IRVING, TEXAS
    I still have mine. I am sure we haven't used it in twenty five years.

I will never forget using ours one very hot summer afternoon in 1979.
    Had a large lunch. Working along for about an hour. Watching that little hypnotic spark jump.
    Dressed only in jean cutoff shorts. Sweaty left arm leaning on the grounding metal sheet. Sitting on a metal stool.
    Dozed off and dropped my hand holding the pen into my lap. Right over the metal zipper....

This has an alarm clock beat hands down.

8. Nicholedene

Nicholedene New Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Morrisville, VT
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

9. Red Ball

Red Ball Very Active Member

Aug 20, 2008
    IRVING, TEXAS
    Give a shot using as a wake up tool?

Not sure I was actually recommending that.

10. Nicholedene

Nicholedene New Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Morrisville, VT
    Wake Up Tool

lol ... give a shot selling on ebay for a few hundred. A nice idea though ...

11. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    off topic but I checked out your about me info and love the "located in rural Vermont" had to laugh as that describes the whole state:Big Laugh

we are in the "big city" near Burlington

12. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    Keep it.
    A pounce pattern comes in handy every now and than

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Definitely, even if ya don't hand paint, they make great tools for making installation patterns and guides.

14. Nicholedene

Nicholedene New Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Morrisville, VT
    Sad to Sell, but...

I do appreciate the sentiment of keeping this. It hurts a little selling ANY cool old machine, let alone one that's been in this business as long as I've been alive. That said, we're in a state of flux here. I'm trying to bring in new equipment (CNC Router) and have NO space. This machine is small, but it's one of a hundred things I've never used that are taking up precious space in my busy little shop. It being worth money is a bonus, since I'm also working to raise capital for the new equipment. You know how it is guys. Sometimes we have to set our feelings aside and do what's best for the bottom line. This machine is awesome, but it doesn't do anything for me that my plotters and router won't do.

15. Ponto

Ponto Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    For some reason this device also keeps reminding me of Jack Nicholson receiving his "treatments" in the movie Cuckoos Nest........wet sponges anybody?..........JP

16. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    You can try to sell it here before you try ebay

17. Rocco G

Rocco G Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Pennsauken NJ
    No, don't sell it! Keep it in the showroom, next to a "special" chair for "special" customers. You know the kind, the ones who have no idea what they want their sign to look like, but want you to really "give them a charge" with your design. Get an old metal shop chair and...

18. brycesteiner

brycesteiner Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Ohio
    What exactly would you do with this besides play pranks on people (as most posts seem to indicate)?

19. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    they are for making pounce patterns - you draw across paper that is taped to a ferrous metal sheet which is grounded to the machine, and it 'sparks' which creates holes in the paper for pouncing

20. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Branding seems to be the 3D printing of the tattoo world, might work as a sideline to your sign business if you cranked it up high enough.....

wayne k
    guam usa