• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discovered an antique Electro Pounce Machine in our supply closet

Nicholedene

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. Been the (3rd) owner of a sign and design shop in Northern Vermont for three years now. We've been working tirelessly this winter to try and clean out and organize this place. A lot of clutter develops after 33 years in business. In the midst of all this I discovered a really cool looking machine. A google search later I've learned that this is a genuine antique Electro Pounce Machine. Date stamped 1969. I replaced the fuse and had a machine repairman look it over. Everything appears to be in good working order. I think this is just the coolest thing, but have little practical use for it. I'm curious, is there a market for such things? Does anyone know if I could sell it, and if so, what kind of asking price I should list? I was thinking ebay but would welcome other suggestions. Thanks!
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Electro Pounce.jpg
    Electro Pounce.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,903
  • Electro Pounce 3.jpg
    Electro Pounce 3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,656
  • Electro Pounce 2.jpg
    Electro Pounce 2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,686
  • Electro Pounce 4.jpg
    Electro Pounce 4.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,546

TimToad

I think they retail for around $600 new. I'd keep it unless you really need the money. I can't count the number of times, I've regretted selling mine when I took a break form the business.

Billct2

Sheesh! Antique? Reminds me of when I drove by a place tha sells antiques and collectsbles and a sign I did was sitting out front on display.

Ponto

I used one of those many moons ago.....large metal table top ---- just remember to remove any wrist watches while using --LOL-- cuz' any unintended contact with the surface really woke you up!!! JP

Jillbeans

There are a couple different pages on Facebook which feature hand-lettering, you could maybe try selling it there.
Love....Jill
(I guess I am also an antique)

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
I still have mine. I am sure we haven't used it in twenty five years.

I will never forget using ours one very hot summer afternoon in 1979.
Had a large lunch. Working along for about an hour. Watching that little hypnotic spark jump.
Dressed only in jean cutoff shorts. Sweaty left arm leaning on the grounding metal sheet. Sitting on a metal stool.
Dozed off and dropped my hand holding the pen into my lap. Right over the metal zipper....

This has an alarm clock beat hands down.

Marlene

off topic but I checked out your about me info and love the "located in rural Vermont" had to laugh as that describes the whole state:Big Laugh

we are in the "big city" near Burlington

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Definitely, even if ya don't hand paint, they make great tools for making installation patterns and guides.

Nicholedene

Sad to Sell, but...

I do appreciate the sentiment of keeping this. It hurts a little selling ANY cool old machine, let alone one that's been in this business as long as I've been alive. That said, we're in a state of flux here. I'm trying to bring in new equipment (CNC Router) and have NO space. This machine is small, but it's one of a hundred things I've never used that are taking up precious space in my busy little shop. It being worth money is a bonus, since I'm also working to raise capital for the new equipment. You know how it is guys. Sometimes we have to set our feelings aside and do what's best for the bottom line. This machine is awesome, but it doesn't do anything for me that my plotters and router won't do.

Ponto

For some reason this device also keeps reminding me of Jack Nicholson receiving his "treatments" in the movie Cuckoos Nest........wet sponges anybody?..........JP

Rocco G

No, don't sell it! Keep it in the showroom, next to a "special" chair for "special" customers. You know the kind, the ones who have no idea what they want their sign to look like, but want you to really "give them a charge" with your design. Get an old metal shop chair and...

J Hill Designs

What exactly would you do with this besides play pranks on people (as most posts seem to indicate)?

they are for making pounce patterns - you draw across paper that is taped to a ferrous metal sheet which is grounded to the machine, and it 'sparks' which creates holes in the paper for pouncing

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Branding seems to be the 3D printing of the tattoo world, might work as a sideline to your sign business if you cranked it up high enough.....

wayne k
guam usa