• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Distribute object around a circle evenly

Tim Aucoin

Okay... I should know how to do this, but I'm having a "moment"!:frustrated:
I need to draw a floor plan for table assignments at a function that I'm doing sign work for. Basically it's a circle with 8 chairs evenly distributed around the circle (chairs represented by an oval intersecting the circle(table)). I know there's a way to duplicate an object evenly around a circle, but I'm having a laps of thought this afternoon. Anyone offer any help? Did I describe it reasonably?

Thanks for any help!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Draw one large circle and then the smaller circle. Either with the smart guides or draw 2 guides to the center of the large circle. Rotate each circle 45 degrees around that center point. If you hold down the shift key it will rotate at 45 degree increments automatically. You can then duplicate 1 at a time

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I have both CS3 and X3 didn't know how to do that in CS - thanks Dr

wayne k
guam usa

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I usually create two identical circles spaced on one axis as i want them and group them. Next duplicate them, rotate them 90 degrees and center-center justify to the first pair. Group the four and duplicate again, rotate 45 degrees and center-center justify again.

Done.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
same technique works to produce a rope border

Attachments

• rope.jpg
    rope.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 156

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I draw the table circle and intersect it with guides. position your chair circle, square or what ever shape. With snap to guides on, double click the chair circle and position the rotate center point in the center of the table. then open transformation/rotate docker. Divide 360 deg by the number of chairs you want. Enter it into the angle box and click apply to duplicate until you have enough.

I use this to make gears, revers starburst...

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 137

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
works for corn dogs too....

Attachments

• circle o dogs.jpg
    circle o dogs.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 155

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You can do it in Draw really quick with a few hotkeys - if your rotation constrain angles match the number of copies you need (In this case the default 15deg will work)
Grab a circle- start to rotate it - drag the center point to the rotation point - right click to start duplicating - hold ctrl key to constrain rotation - drop first copy - hit "ctrl-D" as many times as needed to drop the rest in place.
Each copy will add the rotation of the one before & use the same offset rotation point.

wayne k
guam usa

jiarby

Transform-Rotate is the answer... for 8 chairs you need them 45degrees apart so set the center of the chair to the center of the table, then click "apply to duplicate" 7 times.

oops.. I see Jester already posted this!

Attachments

• rotate.jpg
    rotate.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 146

Tim Aucoin

WOW... thanks for all the input!:thankyou:
I'll work on this tomorrow morning when I get in. I appreciate everyone's response! I'll let you know how I make out.:thumb:

Tim Aucoin

Okay... I tried this in Illustrator as instructed, and maybe I'm simply an idiot... but I had a tough time with it... got it done eventually... I then opened up CorelDraw (fortunately, I have Fusion on my Mac!!)... This was a 30 second task in CorelDraw! I have to agree... this kind of thing is easier in Corel. I haven't used Corel in forever, but fortunately I have to have it, as I still receive Corel files from my customers!

Thanks again everyone for your help. Now I just have to layout the seating plan for 120 of these tables! :thankyou:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
what is a step and repeat? Maybe similar to blends or duplicate?

Step and repeat is an old printing term. It means to duplicate an image a specified number of times both horizontally and vertically with regular spacing. Various graphics programs provide this feature, like Flexi and Corel X3 or better, as well as extensions that allow for angular and circular spacing.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
make ellipse (table)
select ellipse
hit "S" key
hold "SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND" drag and make outer ellipse.
make chair elipse and make sure it is within outer ellipse.
select the "outer circle" and the "chair ellipse"
hit "R" key "RETURN"
"ROTATE" window will pop up, type in "45" for your rotation value and hit the "COPY" button.
it will make another chair at 45 degrees.
hit "COMMAND-D" 6 times, remove the outer circle and viola, you are done.

less than 30 seconds

Last edited: