• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DIY Anti-Static

rjssigns

I searched and read posts pertaining to anti-static wire/cord for printers. Didn't find too much other than buying a kit. Since I'm stuck here I'd like to put my own together unless it's cheaper to buy premade.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
what is your application. I like using Jemmcord and similar things to run across in and out areas of machines.

Saturn

Aging Member
If you're working in a smaller office/shop you might think about picking up a cheap hygrometer (humidity sensor) from Amazon too. Between that, the tinsel, and a cheap humidifier you should be able to tackle static pretty well. Keeping the relative humidity at or above 30-35% really helps knock the dust out of the air too. 40-45% is my sweet spot, but in the winter I'll take 32-34.

rjssigns

If you're working in a smaller office/shop you might think about picking up a cheap hygrometer (humidity sensor) from Amazon too. Between that, the tinsel, and a cheap humidifier you should be able to tackle static pretty well. Keeping the relative humidity at or above 30-35% really helps knock the dust out of the air too. 40-45% is my sweet spot, but in the winter I'll take 32-34.

Yup. Currently running between 46 to 50 percent humidity. Ran a humidifier during the coldest part of winter. Bought 8 cases of distilled water for it. Two left.

Jburns

I agree with all the suggestions- BUT be careful ordering on Amazon right now - check delivery dates that they arent pushed to mid April.
Check eBay or other sources for now.

rjssigns

I agree with all the suggestions- BUT be careful ordering on Amazon right now - check delivery dates that they arent pushed to mid April.
Check eBay or other sources for now.

I just did. April 24th is the soonest. My tech told me Monday that next day is now six day.:confused:. My how quickly things change.

DrunknMonk

thats my version for the laminator, not sure if it works well, I still get shocks.

Attachments

• IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3524.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 502
  • IMG_3525.jpg
    IMG_3525.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 458
  • IMG_3523.jpg
    IMG_3523.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 432

Jester

Slow is Fast
I've read that the anti-static treatment must be applied to the web of your vinyl where it isn't touching the printer's platen or rollers:

"The Coupling Effect or how a static charge can be masked.
It is important to appreciate that a charged material must be located in "free space" in order for a static neutraliser to do its job. If the non-conductive, charged material is placed against any surface, the electrostatic field is collapsed and, hence, the material appears neutral. For example, as a web of charged material passes over a grounded roller, the electrostatic field will look as follows:

Electrostatic_Coupling_effect.jpg

The electrostatic charge has not been removed or neutralised and is merely being masked by the roller." https://www.fraser-antistatic.com/en/static-control-for-the-converting-industry

RICHARD SIMMONS

The machines are already grounded. Use an existing unpainted screw or drill a small hole and just tie the string to the machine. Static string is all you need.