• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do all resellers just suck?

Pat Whatley

What the hell is wrong these days?

I've tried four different "suppliers" recently for digitally printed decals. Three of them were people from this site who responded to my rant about my last print supplier.

My orders are typically 20 - 30 sq. ft. Nothing major, but I didn't think they were small enough to be ignored. Maybe I'm just wrong.

I can't seem to get consistent turn-around times from any of these people. I understand people are busy, I'm cool with that. Just don't tell me you'll get them out in three days and then take 10. Don't lie to me about it the whole time. Don't print UPS labels so you can give me a tracking number....but wait four days to do the printing and actually put the label on anything.

And the best one....don't take my order on Monday Sept. 28th for 3 - 4'x8' decals, tell me you'll ship them Friday Sept. 30th at the absolute latest, then get pissed off when I call you Wednesday October 7th to find out where they are. Especially don't launch into a tirade telling me you've got work to do for your customers and work for my customers "will have to f'ing wait." (Yes, in case you're wondering, I just wrote a guy a refund check for the 4'x8' decals)

I don't bitch about production times...if it's going to take a week just tell me it'll be a week. If I can't wait I'll try someone else, no hard feelings. I've never questioned price, either.

DOES ANYBODY IN THE SOUTHEAST HAVE A RELIABLE SOURCE FOR SHORT-RUN DIGITAL PRINTING?

I'm seriously planning to buy my own damn printer now just to avoid having to deal with this crap.

TheSellOut

Pat, I am with you on purchasing my own printer for the very same reasons plus color correction!

I don't know if you have used them but PC Signs, out of NC, have always been good to me. Even if it's to talk about what printer I should buy!

Now, the owner had a heart attack a few weeks back and one of their employees was recently in a car accident, but they are still kicking stuff out rather quickly and it's always of great quality!

www.pcsigns.biz

hydo1

I cannot emphasize how nice it is to have a printer in house. I also think you should post the names of these great companies you have been dealing with.

speedmedia

That is exactly why I bought my own. Yeah it was nice to not have to pay a printer payment every month but it sure sucks to rely on other people when they just don't seem to give a crap!

You can always start off small and upgrade like I have.

Thanks,
Kurt

thmooch

I have also used PC Signs for Full Color Vinyl, Full Color Banners & Flatbed Coro. I have been very happy.

Doyle

Not sure if you have tried them or not, and they are not exactly in the Southeast, but Signs365 has been very reliable for me, and I have been sending orders to them for 2 or 3 years now. Turnaround is quick (usually next day) and everything has been shipped on time (I am a 1-day ship so it has been exceptionally fast for me). I believe that they have recently started offering contour cutting as well.

royster13

While I make most of my living "brokering" work the thought that crosses my mind is that in slow times it is better to keep as much margin at home as you can....A few 1,000 $s done in house can be more profitable than if brokered out....

stickermonkey

I like doing my own work...I used to outsource. 4 years I was with this company...in fact I think I was like their second trade client. I was happy for the first 2 or 3 years and then the same sh** started happening to me. The only downfall of printing in house is keeping up with all the production with little staff. Our area is experiencing some tough times. I do favours for my competitors all the time and do print work for them at a wholesale rate, and it can get tough to fit into my schedule when I'm taking care of my own clients...to me...you're either a to the trade printer or you're not. So I guess what I'm saying is that I sort of understand both sides of things. :eek:)

Wish I was in your area...I could use a little more work to keep my baby working!

econolinesigns

We do this for about 20 small shops in California and Southern Oregon. Just last year one of the shops we had been one of the shops we had been doing work for decided to buy his own printer (we actually encourage guys/gals to do this when they are selling enough prints to justify the cost). The complaint we hear from him now is that he did not think about all the extra costs - ink, stocking $400-$500 rolls of material, stocking laminate, needing to buy a laminator, etc.. Just food for thought.

Adam Bennett

we don't suck. we print every day for smaller shops in our area, and some of our paint protection installers across the country. balancing the schedule is just a matter of staying organized and running jobs effectively (ie, ganging banners with banners, and vinyl with vinyl) wholesale or retail, it all has to get printed.

GoodPeopleFlags

Hey Pat! We're getting the new Epson GS6000 in a couple of weeks and we're in Huntsville, just a little ways north of you. Maybe we'll be able to help you out once we figure out how to run it!

SignManiac

If I can do it in house then I'll spend the money on the equipment so as not to be at the mercy of others. I pride myself in meeting deadlines for my clients and won't risk ruining my reputation by outsourcing to unreliable vendors.

ProWraps

printers are so cheap now a days pat. i would look into getting one or even a used one. we have two. and im dying to have another which i might have no choice but to purchase this week to get this job out. the reliability of doing your own prints, as well as mentioned above, the ability to color correct is essential.

Typestries

Seriously, you need to find a different source. We're not perfect, some things do take longer (especially specialty materials), but 95% of Adhesive back oracal, banner, and coroplast orders ship the next day after being ordered. Sometimes it's 2, and more often it's SAME DAY! I'd say our wholesale success is based on my desire to get things done quickly. As quickly as possible.

I know you are a bit out as far as UPS ground is concerned, but since things leave quickly, it may not be an issue.

Sign Ninja

I believe PC Signs is going to need to expand soon, as they're bursting at the seams. I've been inside their new place and it's already jammed packed full of equipment. I miss the good old days when only I knew about them, now everyone and their mom does and my 1 day turn around is gone.

Kind of like brandsoftheworld, that was nice when that was a secret.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Have you guys heard of NuSigns Supply? They are pretty great for anyone looking to get a new printer.

Pat Whatley

Thanks for all the references, I think I've found a supplier that's gonna work out pretty well. Just got to work out a couple of file issues.

For the record (since I got several PMs asking) Signs365 is not one of the suppliers I was talking about. Signs365 actually went above and beyond today bailing me out of trouble.

Last edited: