• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do I need new dampers?

bpatrick3

I have a 6 year old sp540 and have never changed the dampers, I am currently having a problem with cyan ink is "slow to start". What I mean is that the first few inches of my print are to magenta/red looking, like the cyan is starving but then it catches up and prints fine. If I run a cleaning cycle or print all day it is fine. Do the dampers act as a check valve and keep positive pressure in the lines? How hard they to replace? they are not very expensive. Any advice on where to get them? Thanks

Last edited:

Circleville Signs

I'm not sure on the Roland, but on the Mutoh they are a relatively simple swap - although getting to them can be a PITA.

As for what they do, basically they are a filter/reservoir. Your ink flows into them, and they hold a small amount for feed into the head. They also allow any "chunks" to sink to the bottom of their holding capacity.

brush1

I belive they need to be replace every few months....search any merchant on this site who is selling parts for Rolands

MikeD

our tech suggested swapping them out for new ones every 6 months based on his knowledge of our 24hr 6day/week workflow. Thats Mimaki, though.
It would be a good idea to have a couple on hand for when they start to cause problems

anotherdog

I'm onto my sixth year with my original VP540 dampers.
The only thing I have ever changed is blades and wipers.

It does sound as if yours are full O crap. Are you using OEM ink?

Robert M

Dampers

They have a screen in them to prevent dirt from getting into the print head which could be clogged up. They also fail due to the O rings that hold them in place can leak and let air into the system. You may also need new cap tops if no one has been looking after the printer. Shoot me a pm and I can get you a tech manual.
We sell those parts at www.solventinkjet.com

Papajo

Dampers acts as a valve against negative pressure due to the cartridges being lower than the heads. If there is any leak in the ink line air will fill in the circuit and ink will return back to the cartridge. There is no need to change them regularly although it's recommended to change them while you replace the heads. From time to time one can fail but it's quite rare (more frequent with some 3rd party inks though). A defective damper can be clogged (it'll look full like it's ready to explode) or pierced (it'll be empty).

Given your problem it could be because of the dampers but it's hard to tell unless you try. Anyway after 6 years it may be worth changing them, it's quite inexpensive and easy to swap. Just be extra careful to lift them straight up if you don't wanna break the head intakes. Don't shake them from side to side like you would with your AC plug, and don't press them on the sides if you don't want to spill ink on the head circuits.