• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do not even consider a FASTSIGNS franchise!!!!

dirtbomb

Write me for a full look inside what you can expect for your 18% ++++++ off the top!
when you hook up with these guys!
When you get to corporate - don't be surprised when you see maybe 1-2 actual
sign makers, and 100+ lawyers and corporate goons.
The president has never pressed vinyl in her life.

FASTSIGNS 551

CS-SignSupply-TT

To franchise or not to franchise...???

Write me for a full look inside what you can expect for your 18% ++++++ off the top!

FASTSIGNS 551

So, dirtbomb, are you exiting the franchise system to go it alone?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i thought it was 8% not 18%

The last figures I heard were 8%, as low as 6% in smaller markets and pretty much offset by negotiated discounts they receive on equipment and materials. The one case history I am very familiar with is a total success story wherein the franchisee took all their advice and grew her store into one of the top grossing sign businesses in her area in her first year.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I'm sure it's all over, but we have a few FastSigns that buy from us and they seem to be doing ok...

gnemmas

Franchisees are just like any business owners, some are better than others. Franchisor provide you a start, you take it from there.

As for fees, There must be a minimum you pay regardless of you gross. So if you are a low performer, it could amount to 18% or 50% if you only gross, say $5,000 a month. If you gross $1 mil a month, I am sure that your fee is a lot lower than statuary 8% or 6%, just like a top performer of real estate agent, as you bring in more money, you have negotiating power.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well..... welcome form PA...................................

Your first post is a slamming of someone. Makes one feel real good about you, too, dirtb.

threeputt

It might be good sort of state your sitution: ie; are you a disgruntled franchisee, considering purchasing the franchise, or what?

There is a SignsNow not too many miles away that is doing absolutely terrific. (not that that in itself means anything about Fast Signs) But franchises, I've heard, can be very lucrative.

Depends on your business savvy. But 18 percent off the top does sound high, unless it's offset as Fred says by other incentives, etc.

Tell us a bit more about your situation. It would help and interest more people to comment.

petepaz

we have delt with a couple of sign-a-rama's in the past . no problems on our end. just did some silk screening for them but the one store changed owners (or should i say operators) 3 times in the past 5-6 years. most of these places by us are in strip malls so i would imagine between rent and 8 or 18% for the fast signs has to be almost impossible to make money

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

FASTSIGNS 551

I believe he's a disgruntled Franchisee. Not sure how he would have a FS# otherwise.

WildWestDesigns

we have delt with a couple of sign-a-rama's in the past . no problems on our end. just did some silk screening for them but the one store changed owners (or should i say operators) 3 times in the past 5-6 years. most of these places by us are in strip malls so i would imagine between rent and 8 or 18% for the fast signs has to be almost impossible to make money

So have I and like you no issues. It all depends on the individual store I imagine.

Billct2

We were originally a franchise location, one that no longer exists.
I have seen and read about some very successful franchisees.
BUT there are a few around here (different brands)
that have been thru multiple owners (some who ended up bankrupt
from what I heard) and these locations are considered
successful because they never closed.
I just think this is a tough business to pick up in a few weeks
or even months of training.

Personally I have mixed feelings about the franchise option. I have known multiple sign makers who made ABSOLUTELY beautiful signs...top of our craft level of work, however, they were unable to earn the level of income that they were deserving of. I've known others who were very capable of making any type of sign that we all encounter on a regular basis in a commercial sign shop, but they never put the time into putting the systems into place to consistently price their work, build their own brand and continuously advertise and grow their operation...they simply did not possess those skills and as a one or two man operation it can be / no it is very difficult to do all of the things necessary to truly build your business. For many becoming a franchisee is an option worth considering, with that said I would look very CLOSELY into the various franchises that are available and the benefits of each...and further more please do not take this as me recommending becoming a franchisee because it is NOT what I would recommend for the majority of business owners..however, for the right person after doing a complete business plan as an independent company and as a franchise and making a list comparing the pro's and con's it can be a good fit for the right person.

There are many in our trade that create 'jobs' for themselves versus creating 'businesses', if you are incapable of impelementing the systems, policies, practices, routines, etc., to create a business that is not dependent on you as the owner to operate from moment to moment and requires your decision for every little item that arises a franchise may be an option OR take the time to create a complete business and operating plan and put it into practice.

The other obvious benefit of buying into the franchise model is brand recognition and being identified as a well established company. With a good plan this can be overcome in time and personally I would rather be recognized and judged on my own work, etc., but this can be the fast track to brand recognition...but again there is a large market segment who prefers to do business with smaller, non chain/franchise, companies..it all comes down to your own goals, dreams, desires, needs, plan and drive...if you are motivated and have a good plan and work your plan, you will succeed either way...and some people will fail even if they are given the best tools available, all the training under the sun, and buckets and buckets of money to get them going and keep their doors open...I personally know no short cuts, it all takes work and if I've learned anything the harder and smarter I work, the more I succeed.

I see a wide range of speculation in regards to franchise fees/specifically Fastsigns fees in this topic...why not go straight to the source and get the real numbers http://www.fastsigns.com/FranchiseOpportunities/Conversion

Dentafrice

Well..... welcome form PA...................................

Your first post is a slamming of someone. Makes one feel real good about you, too, dirtb.

I could have swore you was trying to call him a dirtbag in a nice way with this post (dirtb) until I realized his username, haha. :Oops: