• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do not wet reflective material?

ams

So you aren't suppose to wet reflective vinyl. Then we should we do? I prefer wet method because I can move it around until it's perfect. Dry method you get one shot, if its messed up, too bad.

It really stresses me out to do dry.

parkedcar

I've installed reflective wet in the past, several times and never had an issue. Some trucks I still see after 7 years and the vinyl is holding just fine.

davidcarr87

i installed reflective about 4 years ago on a brush truck for the local fire dept i was in...its still holding up good...

it was all installed wet...

Last edited:

chopper

it is because the material does not let moisture out from behind it very well and it takes a long time for it to dry out..... like trying to do the wet method with chrome.....no workie very well..
//chopper

ams

That is interesting, makes sense for moisture. I guess since people have done it with success, I will apply just a small bit where it won't stick all the way, to allow for one or two adjustments before sticking.

How about if I take a heat gun on low setting over it? won't that draw out the moisture?

MikePro

i prefer rapidtac over our shops soapy mixtures for reflective... it is possible. edges don't stick quite so good. i usually let it sit overnight, if trimming is needed.

Pat Whatley

Did an entire fleet of vans with RapidTac and Nikkalite reflective vinyl. The RapidTac worked MUCH better than soapy water. Never had any trouble at all out of the reflective.

CentralSigns

I've had real good results with RapidTac and reflective. Can't say I have ever has bad results with it of any kind. Just squeege out the wet real good. Firm presure is all. Trim the edges real close the next day.

iSign

I use RT too, on reflective... no problems.. I guess sometimes too much moisture has started to mold behind the vinyl & has migrated through to being visible from the front... I'm not sure exactly what kind of planetary alignment it would take to replicate that, but i think that was rumored to be the reason for the concern...

Dave Drane

Reflective is normally heavy enough not to require application fluid. The other thing you could try is to use 2 layers of app paper. I try to avoid wet application at any cost. It is never as good as dry. There is nothing to contaminate the adshesive.

Jillbeans

Technically, it is a no-no and voids the warranty should your vinyl fail.
But we all know how hard it is to get any sort of satisfaction on a cough *avery*cough vinyl failure.
I use Rapid Tac 2 when applying larger reflective decals.
Since most of the ones I do are on fire apparatus, and they are garage kept, I've never had a problem (other than that one time a supplier sent me some Avery roll striping) in well over 12 years of vynulling reflective.
Love.....Jill

ams

What about using the Seal It Pen on the edges of the reflective after a wet apply, that will keep the edges from peeling correct?

Billct2

No, that won't keep the edges from peeling, but it will seal in any moisture.
Most manufacturers that I know of don't recommend wet app on reflective....look it up.
But Roger from RapidTac insisits that his fluid if fine with reflective, and as you can see from what others have said that appears to be true. So if I have to do a wet app I use Rapidtac.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if this is fact, but it's what I was told years ago by various distributors and one manufacturer.

They all stand firm on no wet method applications because of some of the ingredients of the media itself. Years ago, most, if not all reflective vinyls had metal in them and the water helped to make this stuff mildew, lift, peel, turn colors or just not perform the same as other vinyls. Therefore across the board.... no wet methods allowed for reflectives.

Today, I don't know if it's made the same way and there are many more companies producing this stuff, so I would venture to say you can get away with the wet method based on what brand you're using.

I don't think making a broad statement about wet on reflective that it makes it Okay. I would think discussing what brand, color and surface you're applying it to has more to do with it than the method of application. You're kinda asking the question backwards.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would imagine you'd be Okay with a light mist, but may I ask why you're putting it on acrylic ??

ams

Customer wanted to do as cheap as possible, so I have a 4 X 8 sheet of antique white acrylic sitting around, but he wants reflective regardless, so the two together would be the cheapest I could do. Next would be Omega Signboard which would be a big increase in price.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay.... understood about the customer wanting cheap, but do you realize that acrylic is not really a good exterior choice for making signs ??

Up in a illuminated sign cabinet, they have room to expand and contract and the heat from the lamps helps keep them from breaking for the most part, but if you're going to fasten this down for outdoor use..... you should really look at other options and inform your customer that cheap doesn't always mean 'THE' cheapest thing on hand. If you're putting reflective on this, I'm sure it's some sort of permanent sign and even the drilling of holes and screwing it fast is a tricky adventure.

BobM

It's all in the preperation right produt formulated for our industry.
Clean twice with Rapid Prep. Apply with light mist of Rapid Tac II.
Never a problem.

ams

Okay.... understood about the customer wanting cheap, but do you realize that acrylic is not really a good exterior choice for making signs ??

Up in a illuminated sign cabinet, they have room to expand and contract and the heat from the lamps helps keep them from breaking for the most part, but if you're going to fasten this down for outdoor use..... you should really look at other options and inform your customer that cheap doesn't always mean 'THE' cheapest thing on hand. If you're putting reflective on this, I'm sure it's some sort of permanent sign and even the drilling of holes and screwing it fast is a tricky adventure.

I am aware, and informed him that it may pose problems in the future, but he continued on about wanting cheap.