• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do postcards work?

Pat Whatley

Just curious if anyone had any luck with postcards.

I'm thinking of running a monthly sale on things I can get a good wholesale price on and still make a good margin on. The main idea is to let people know that we carry more than they've seen just in the shop so I'll do things like put banner stands on sale when you buy banners or sign frames on sale when you buy aluminum signs.

I'm planning to do just 100 a month. I've got a list of 35 main companies I deal with who would get a mailer each month, then the other 65 would be sent to selected new businesses each month.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

mark in tx

I would do the postcards for 100 new business, and those 35 repeat customers would get the cards and phone calls asking for an appointment to sell the expanded line.

Letterbox Mike

Yes, if done right. Every month or quarter we run a sale/special on something. Sometimes it's posters, sometimes it's banners, right now it's pop-up banner stands. We bought a mailing list of about 500 names of ad agencies, printing companies, graphic designers, etc., and send postcards to them every 2-3 weeks for the duration of the promotion. We combine it with follow up phone calls and personal visits where we can drop off samples, brochures, flyers, etc..

We got a tremendous response almost from the get go when we started this. We got about 35 new clients from the first promotion we ran, which was posters. They have since continued to order other products as well. Our investment for the poster promotion advertising was about $700 for the printing, postage, and mailing list for 3 drops of postcards over 2 months. We brought in about $9,000 in sales from it on just that promotion, and many of those clients have ordered other things since then.

BUT, if you just do a generic postcard and send it to a random hodge-podge of companies one time, don't expect much. Direct mail is a numbers game, the more you send out and the more frequently you send them, the greater your results will be. The product you're selling also has to be very targeted to the market you are mailing to. I don't think I'd expect a massive return from only sending out one drop of 100 postcards. If you bought a list of 500 names, you'll see more, but again, the more targeted the product and the audience is, the better the results.

signgal

I actually got a bulk mail license because I was doing so much direct mail, including post cards to existing customers with follow up calls. I didn't see a difference with the post cards and eventually stopped direct mail altogether because it just wasn't panning out. I think I gave it a fair shot, trying all the different methods from all the different angles. However, I have noticed in the current climate, things that didn't used to work are working, so my past experience may not be a good thermometer.

That probably doesn't help much...

Pat Whatley

Direct mail is a numbers game, the more you send out and the more frequently you send them, the greater your results will be.

:thumb: That sounds like a quote from every advertising sales person I've ever heard....if it's not working it's because you're not buying enough!

wes70

Just sent out 280 4x6 postcards direct to local businesses. Nothing too fancy and no sales or promotions, sorta an oversized business card. I do this once every January just as a refresher.

Letterbox Mike

:thumb: That sounds like a quote from every advertising sales person I've ever heard....if it's not working it's because you're not buying enough!

lol, I know, but it's true too (unfortunately). For any marketing to work, especially shotgun advertising like direct mail, you've got to have a product the person wants, it has to be a good price for them to decide to buy it soon, and it needs to have a call to action, in our case it was the expiration of the promotion.

What we did for our poster promo was sell them at $1.59 p.s.f. with a 100s.f. minimum and the promotion ran for 2 months. It's a killer price and we came up with it because it's lower than alot of printing companies can print short run posters in house at. Many print them on their HP or Epson proofing printers and sell them, but their direct cost in them is higher than that so it made sense for them to send them to us. They recognized value in it, they were able to sell posters at their same price but be more profitable, or sell them at a lower price than normal and be more competitive and, they were able to reduce their labor and focus on their core products. And the deadline gave them a sense of urgency, encouraging them to promote our promotion and work harder to sell more posters. It worked and we moved alot of paper through here for a couple months. We didn't make a killing on the psoters but we turned a decent profit, but more importantly, we gained a number of valuable new clients.

ABPGraphics

I BELIEVE IN DIRECT MAIL!!!! - You may not get results right away but you are keeping your name out there - Very important!!.....I think its hard to track results of mailers - a potential customer may sit on your mailer for 6 months before he comes to see you - but because you did the direct mail - he knows that when he is ready he will come to you!

ProColorGraphics

Yes, if done right. Every month or quarter we run a sale/special on something. Sometimes it's posters, sometimes it's banners, right now it's pop-up banner stands. We bought a mailing list of about 500 names of ad agencies, printing companies, graphic designers, etc., and send postcards to them every 2-3 weeks for the duration of the promotion. We combine it with follow up phone calls and personal visits where we can drop off samples, brochures, flyers, etc..

We got a tremendous response almost from the get go when we started this. We got about 35 new clients from the first promotion we ran, which was posters. They have since continued to order other products as well. Our investment for the poster promotion advertising was about $700 for the printing, postage, and mailing list for 3 drops of postcards over 2 months. We brought in about $9,000 in sales from it on just that promotion, and many of those clients have ordered other things since then.

BUT, if you just do a generic postcard and send it to a random hodge-podge of companies one time, don't expect much. Direct mail is a numbers game, the more you send out and the more frequently you send them, the greater your results will be. The product you're selling also has to be very targeted to the market you are mailing to. I don't think I'd expect a massive return from only sending out one drop of 100 postcards. If you bought a list of 500 names, you'll see more, but again, the more targeted the product and the audience is, the better the results.

Where do you get your mailing lists from?

Letterbox Mike

Where do you get your mailing lists from?

infoUSA.

There's one downfall to this so be prepared. With the economy, alot of companies have gone out of business on the lists. InfoUSA is pretty good at keeping their lists up to date, but companies are closing left and right so there's a good chunk that have gone out of business since the list was updated. It's not their fault, it's just the nature of business right now. With every mailing we get a few returned postcards. We make sure to remove them from the list before the next mailing so we're getting it whittled down to companies still open. The first drop we did had probably 50 returned.

Rooster

Expect a 1% return and send out the appropriate number of postcards to generate a return you'll be happy with.

I know it's much cheaper here in Canada if you just do a bulk mail to all businesses in a particular postal (zip) code.

Graphics2u

a potential customer may sit on your mailer for 6 months before he comes to see you - but because you did the direct mail - he knows that when he is ready he will come to you!

This is a good point. I'm in the proccess of making fliers up to send to local businesses. Hope they just get reminded that we're here and call when they need us. Let's face it a sign shop isn't like advertising a shoe sale. People won't buy a banner just because you've got a special like they would a new pair of sneakers. But it does keep your name out there, and when they do need a banner maybe they'll remeber you.

i am not opposed to direct mail, however, it should not be your only means of marketing by any means. it should be a part of a larger plan with goals, strategy, etc and a way to monitor your results so that you know what is working and what is not.

in the scenario you have described Pat i would actually think about going about this in a different manner. i would produce a double sided 'postcard' that is well thought out to advertise a specific product or service (these can be produced extremely affordably but i will not post a wholesale price range since we are out in 'public'..but it is not expensive to produce a full color, heavy weight, professional postcard). Because of the small quantity of clients you are going to be sending these to I would put the postcard inside of a general purpose company card that is printed with your logo with a short handwritten message, hand addressed. you have a much higher percentage chance of the client not only receiving the ad but taking the time to read it as well.

a good percentage of direct mail is 'weeded' out at first glance by receptionists or the business owner themselves if they are a very small company and deposited directly in the round file..the garbage.

the majority of the direct mail that reaches the intended recipient is rarely given much more than a brief glance. since these are repeat customers make certain that your logo is easily viewable and you will increase the chances of them taking the time to review the advertising piece. at the very least they saw your logo and it reinforces your companies presence in their mind..and that is an important part of the game, repeatedly exposing your clients to your company so that you are who they think about when they need your products and services.

you need to grab the clients attention. make sure that it is clear what you are advertising. engage the client as quickly as possible.

there are many techniques and strategies. make a plan, set goals, monitor your results and make changes as necessary to achieve better results.

our industry is one that will rarely result in an immediate sale. so i often tell people that we need to set other goals for monitoring the results of these campaigns than immediate sales. for example if you are targeting new customers sometimes i will have clients set up a separate web address so that we can monitor how many people follow the web address on a postcard to obtain additional information about your company or product and then we can work on improving how many of those inquiries we convert to a sale.

just a few other thoughts. as i said grab the clients attention / get directly to the point. short and sweet / easy to read...do not write a book. in the majority of campaigns the strategy should be to get the prospect to contact you for more information or to check out a website..whatever..don't try to close the sale with a postcard.

there is a lot of tricks, strategies, etc .. i am certain a book could be written on the subject but i will stop now before i write the first chapter.

Techman

Is way to high. They are an end user retail seller of data. They about the highest I've ever seen. I sell mail lists cheaper than info USA supplies them.

InfoUSA is pretty good at keeping their lists up to date, but companies are closing left and right so there's a good chunk that have gone out of business since the list was updated.

Is almost correct to a point. Postal regulations require that lists be at least 90 days up to date. So, many are often more up to date than that.

I have my own bulk license and use it every month. I do flyers and post cards for others and myself. There are ways to get a very low postage rate if you send out at least 250 pieces. My postage rate is less than 19 cents each and often much lower.

As I read some posts I know some have very little experience with it while some have more. The rule of 1/2- 1% return rate is not the industry standard for those who know how to present a well written piece.

The best method is the drip method. It is also proven that a one shot deal is useless. It is proven that several variations of at least a 4 run deal works very well. Expiration dates are effective in some cases. However, I have observed post card offers coming in months after the run was sent out when no date was used.

Craig Sjoquist

Don't know if it really works ..cause not tried yet although that's my next cash out lay try when I can afford it
Why cause on cold calling and do a good deal of it at times
Response I got improved over a picture book of signage I've done when I went to just pictures in a camera ..then went to pictures on my laptop sells improved again even more with that
I would like to come in present myself ..hand them a business card and a post card of pictures ... just for a better sales presentation ..then if they have time then or call back .. maybe the post card convinced them to see my website or call

so that's a next for me

WILLIAMS

I actually just mailed out 1,000 postcards yesterday with a special on yard signs to a targeted list. I'll let you know the return. We're also working on direct mailing 2500 trifold brochures out in the next few weeks. I'm sold on direct mail. Sure, the majority ends up in the trash, but I have seen good results in obtaining new customers. I had someone call from a postcard that was sent 2 years ago. They liked the design and held onto the card for when they needed something. I think if you are expecting immediate results from one mailing, you will be dissappointed. We do atleast 3-4 mailings a year.

I also sent our first e-newsletter out to 60 prior customers on Friday. Received three jobs from it. Comes down to timing.

scene329

We send out a custom designed holiday card every year (link to it here) http://www.purebuttons.com/thebuttonpost/purebuttons-news/purebuttons-wishing-you-happy-holidays/

However, this is only to our previous customers and we usually get a 20+% return instead of your standard 3%. (not too bad considering we send to 7,500 previous clients).

I wouldn't waste the time and money for new customers. Your customers need to see a physical product not just an ad.

Try sending promotional discounts to your previous customers. I'm sure you have all of this information in a database (which can easily be put into a mail merge.)

scene329

I actually just mailed out 1,000 postcards yesterday with a special on yard signs to a targeted list. I'll let you know the return. We're also working on direct mailing 2500 trifold brochures out in the next few weeks. I'm sold on direct mail. Sure, the majority ends up in the trash, but I have seen good results in obtaining new customers. I had someone call from a postcard that was sent 2 years ago. They liked the design and held onto the card for when they needed something. I think if you are expecting immediate results from one mailing, you will be dissappointed. We do atleast 3-4 mailings a year.

I also sent our first e-newsletter out to 60 prior customers on Friday. Received three jobs from it. Comes down to timing.

Agreed.. Timing is everything and most of the time its not an immediate response. Do you have a website where your customers can order online and then have the ability to apply a promo code to get the discount?