• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do postcards work?

scene329

To get quick results send mailings to all of your previous customers. Be sure to always send a holiday card.. and not just one you pick up from the store. Always do something custom and a bit extravagant. You're a custom shop.. so go all out. You'll get the return trust me.

For my sticker company we have custom printed envelopes (full color) and the entire envelope is printed. We send all of our sample packs in these.. people love it!!

WILLIAMS

just got off the phone with a potential customer for 100 yard signs and postcard printing. they got our name from a referral and from the postcard mailed yesterday.

Excellent topic!! We are in the process of designing 3 specific post cards as well.
1 design for new business, signs that they may need, truck lettering, lawn signs, business cards, logo design, etc.

Our 2nd postcard will be targeted to existing businesses who use us regularly but may be unfamiliar with our other products, ie digital business cards, flyers, postcards, etc.

Our 3rd mailing will be directed towards contractors, many who are soon to get get ready for the spring. The products they need the most will be our "featured" items.

We have done such things in the past, targeting specific markets with specific products.

What tradeshows are coming up in your area? Will they need need displays, signs, marketing media? Let them know youre there to help them succeed. They may not need you at that moment....but you have instilled in them a desire to help them.

And follow up, a phonecall is always best. Show them you have interest in there business and success will follow.

Following those principles, even in a difficult market, our sales are growing 10-20% every year.

Works for us month after month, year after year. Sometimes WE can be our worst enemy.

And "after you got the job" ask for a referall. You've already gained there trust and confidence, use it to your advantage!! They will give you a number of referalls!!

pointjockey

if you only want to target around 35 companies, I would not mess with a postcard.
I would get in my car and show my face, drop a flyer and business card, then follow up weekly until they told me to blow off. I do send out monthly specials and newsletter via Constant Contact. Hands down a personal call or visit will generate more business.

Better late than never

I know I'm posting a bit later than everyone else, but direct mail coupled with follow ups (either electronically, face-to-face, phone calls, etc) can be a very effective marketing tool. The great thing now is that with the economy turning down, larger companies are cutting back on the amount of direct mail they send (and there are other things that are happening as well. In Colorado, for instance, they removed a tax break for postage for businesses sending direct mailings).

I'd recommend a targeted list over buying one, and mailing to that list frequently- the time it takes to create a great list yourself is well worth the wasted postage and unfocused marketing you get with buying lists. The biggest thing for direct mail marketing (and marketing in general) is TRACKING.

If you ask 'where did you hear about us?' to every new lead, and couple that with the information you can use from your internet marketing, you can build a great marketing strategy, and determine if it really is worth it.

Plan and plan and plan, then implement. It's sound marketing strategy and can almost guarantee results IMHO.

But whatever you have ended up doing, I hope you didn't ignore the internet and email marketing.

Pat Whatley

I hope you didn't ignore the internet and email marketing.
Ignore email marketing? Hell no! I avoided it like the plague.

Since you brought this back up I can post some early results....

March was "BUY ONE BANNER, GET A SECOND BANNER AT 50% OFF" month. The postcards directly led to one taker. The additional profit on that one banner did cover my costs on postcards and shipping so the whole thing was a wash (which really means failure) The sign I put up in the shop had much better results. I may start running this same special in perpetuity.

March I tried a different tactic and sent mailers to 45 different political campaigns pushing magnetic signs. I sold 150 12"x24" magnetics and 50 12"x18" mags so it worked out pretty well. I also got a couple of orders for backdrop banners while I was doing it.

Since I've been paying attention to it I'm fairly certain I need to focus on UPSELLING the customers I've got coming in more than I need to worry about getting new customers.

scene329

We're about to do a mailer to our 5,000 latest customers. I'm hoping this will work well. I'll let you know what sort of instant return we get.