• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you hem all sides of banner?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
all 4 edges best way to go.

About time someone used the correct terminology. Edges are hemmed, sides are printed upon.

Knowing the nomenclature is at least half of all wisdom.

GB2

Old Member
Tape hem all 4 sides. Looks more professional than just top and bottom, plus uses very little tape & time to do. Grommets every 2', exception is on 36" width, then a grommet goes at 18".

I'm considering an industrial sewing machine. Mosh... what brand do you use and how much actual working space do you truly need? :rolleyes:

Tim, I've been wanting to get a machine too and the Juki 1541 seems to be a top contender.

mmblarg

Hem tape the two shorter sides as a standard with grommets every 24" - 36" depending on the size / all 4 sides only when requested. We only use 13oz outdoor banner material though and never have them come back with issue (and we have a lot come back to be reused with either cover ups or re-lettering, the grommets in the un-hemed sides hold up well and don't tear out.)

OhioSigns

Standard banners get all four sides hemmed 1" using Orabond 1397PP hem tape here. Anything requiring a "nicer" sewed finish, pole pockets or webbing gets sent out to be sewed. Haven't had an issue yet with hem tape. Usually the banner material is deteriorated before the tape ever gives out.

Sticks

I hem all 4 sides with grommets every 2' using tape. What is the best tape out there? I use 1" Orabond and I get these wrinkles even though I roll the hem flat. I would like to find a tape that allows the vinyl to lay flat.

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
I hem all 4 sides with grommets every 2' using tape. What is the best tape out there? I use 1" Orabond and I get these wrinkles even though I roll the hem flat. I would like to find a tape that allows the vinyl to lay flat.
How does the tape cause the wrinkles? Do they appear as soon as you fold the hem or after it's been hemmed for a while? After it's been rolled up for storage or travel? Do you pre-fold the hem before taping it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GB2

Old Member
Not that it matters too much, because hemming banners is always a relevant thing, but this thread is 8 years old. Tim, if you're watching, I did end up getting that Juki 1541 and it's been awesome. How about you, did you ever get a sewing machine?

AKwrapguy

What is the standard out there for banners and hemming the sides. Are shops hemming all 4 sides on all size banners or just large banners that will be up for a long time? Im just using hem tape, not sewing.

Hem all side with 45 degree cuts and grommet every 24ish" depending on the size of the banner.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
My emergency rain poncho uses 12mil UV resistant plastic, handwound nylon parachute cord rated to 1200psi, and is NASA engineered to withstand a rain rate of 4.5" an hour.

Not really.

IMO handsewing everything is a relic of the canvas days - simply not needed for the application required. Someone built a better mousetrap and a buncha old guys didn't want to eat their machinery investment, so they said it's better. And it is, admittedly - just not necessary. Like the poncho.

Jackpine

VHB tape grommets top and bottom or buy a 4 sided banner ready made. Banners by nature are temporary signs. I have had 15oz banners last for a few years no problems. I can paint a banner faster then cutting, weeding masking and installing vinyl and it looks better and last longer.

Active Sign

Sign Guy
All 4 sides with grommets every 2ft. Sign world America has inexpensive banner tape that works well enough.

Trick is to place tape on edge and run the roller over it to push tape into scrim. Fold and run roller over it again. Flip over for grommets and run roller again if you have the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk