• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you leave your computer on 24/7?

Do you leave your computer on 24/7?

• Total voters

briderx

I was comparing a computer to a car because cars are FULL of microprocessors nowadays, I have a Mac upstairs here that is 8 years old & runs like it is new, (it is shut down at the moment)

If you turn your power off on your processor it stops working so it will be cool, it won't burn up from shutting down-LOL

If sleep mode requires electricity, then it costs money, I would be happy if someone handed me a 100 dollar bill at the end of the year just for shutting my system down every night

Yes, your processor stops working, but the proc is still hot when the power button is pressed. The heat doesn't instantly dissipate when the system is turned off.. With the fans stopping, there is no more air flow, allowing higher temperatures on the proc before it cools down. It's a theory.. In my opinion, I'd think that would put stress on the CPU (again, probably not neglegable, but I guess we're nitpicking..)

I never said the proc would "burn up" I just was pointing to the idea that there is more than likely more heat introduced to the proc when the system is shut off, rather than when the system is left on in a stable evironment.

As for cars running 24/7.. Who would even think about the computer problems in a car if left on all day?! I'd be more worried about the engine and other components that actually wear on a car. Most computer components fail due to electrical problems in the car, not because the car ran too long.. I don't get it...???:help:help

As for the $100.00 a year.. that's a very vague number. But.. IF @ $100.00 a year, that comes out to about $0.27 a day. I poop $0.27 a day.. Time is money.. for the extra 30-60 seconds boot saved PER bootup (assuming you boot your system once or twice a day..) Now, we usually boot up ONLY when needed.. So, you're waiting around for the system to boot. That's time and money..

But whatever. It's my opinion. I never stated I was a science major or anything else. Just an idea, just as you have. Sorry for hitting a nerve..

TheSnowman

I shut mine down every night, just cause I don't want it to involuntarily shut itself done if we have a storm at night. Also, I have no idea how strong my network is against someone getting in, so it's just one more reason, although I don't think it's a real worry.

All I know is that I have a Packard Bell from 1996 that still runs strong whenever I need it, and it was shut down every night until it went out of service a few years ago. Those computers I was always told were crap, but it's so far outlived about 6 others that were left on full time. Coincidence....who knows?

briderx

I shut mine down every night, just cause I don't want it to involuntarily shut itself done if we have a storm at night. Also, I have no idea how strong my network is against someone getting in, so it's just one more reason, although I don't think it's a real worry.

All I know is that I have a Packard Bell from 1996 that still runs strong whenever I need it, and it was shut down every night until it went out of service a few years ago. Those computers I was always told were crap, but it's so far outlived about 6 others that were left on full time. Coincidence....who knows?

Most computers (I think all now-a-days) have a setting in the bios called "on power loss" which lets you choose to turn on or stay off.. I keep mine on "stay off" to protect against power outages/brownouts.

And, not to step on anyones toes, but IF someone were to hack into your system.. You wouldn't notice it either way whether you're sitting in front of the computer or not..

SOA

We leave the macs on 24/7, just let them sleep at night, the rip PC is turned off and on each day!

ATXsigns

BTW there's NO chance a chip will be damaged during power up due to thermal ramp up. The fan comes on instantly anyway! The stress to the chips is due to power spikes, not thermal transitions. Chips are placed into stresses during qualification which far exceed normal use, they can survive much more than how we use them. All chips are made with reliability margins built in.